PDA

View Full Version : Homefront, Brink and now Duke Nukem - Year of the Overhyped games!?!

engineer123
06-11-2011, 01:12 AM
By reading the first reviews, metacritic and reports about Duke Nukem I'm glad, that I didn't pre-ordered.

I mean how many else GOTY titles will game developers announce this year!?!

The only 3 really remarkable and excellent games this year are probably Portal 2, Witcher 2 and Dead Space 2.
Others like Homefront, Brink and now Duke Nukem Forever failed in confirming the Over-Hyping they received pre-release.

JoxerNL
06-11-2011, 01:25 AM
This thread brings new and interesting facts into the discussion

JudgementBullet
06-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Dragon Age 2 is another hyped game failed at delivering IMO.

N. Mason
06-11-2011, 02:46 AM
The only 3 really remarkable and excellent games this year are probably Portal 2, Witcher 2 and Dead Space 2.

Crysis 2 is very good as well.
Since they all have "2" in their title, I would say it is the year of sequels.

And your title just make me cry, because Homefront and Brink are the games that I wish I have never bought.

By now, I hope FEAR 3 and Deus Ex won't disappoint me.:mad:

bagofbones
06-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Not over hyped, just clever marketing. They're getting quite good at that.

epsylon_Z1
06-11-2011, 03:14 AM
I would like to add Portal 2 to the list .

SunriseDriver
06-11-2011, 03:51 AM
- Dead Space 2
+ AC Brotherhood
+ Magicka
+ DiRT 3
+ Back to the Future

Vayne4800
06-11-2011, 04:12 AM
+ Bulletstorm!

kurnuttaja
06-11-2011, 04:45 AM
+ Terraria

Godwhacker
06-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Yeah, Bulletstorm rocked.

+ Frozen Synapse

Brink has gotten *much* better since the developers patched it with community recommendations, but it was still something of a disappointment. TF2 still reigns king of the class / objective based shooters.

At this point the only games I'm looking forward to are Skyrim and Battlefield 3. I'm going to wait for the reviews of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I suspect it's going to be a bit pants.

Fieldmarshall3
06-11-2011, 05:14 AM
Hype =/= Disappointment

Dont get hyped. How often to you get a game that lives up to its almost godlike expectations?
12 years of hype. Ofcourse its not going to live up to it. Come back to earth.
The more you expect from a game the more you WILL get disappointed.

Instead, take a game for what it is. I liked DNF and Brink. (havent played Homefront cause i didnt think id like it)
The only thing i knew before getting DNF was that it was another Duke Nukem game, and so far im loving it.
I only heard about Brink 1 day before it was released and didnt know what to expect. Loved it aswell.

I dont really look at anyone who lives by reviews as very smart.
Judging something because 1 random guy with his own opinion says so reminds me of christianity.
Like that IGN review of Brink who said "it just doesent feel right". Well wth DOES feel right?
Gameplay felt smooth and right to me. Does that mean im wrong?
I think for myself. And i suggest more people start doing it.

olavxxx
06-11-2011, 05:28 AM
maybe the hype is what the maya calendar really predicts?

hat
06-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Fieldmarshall3 has said it right. Not only with not getting hyped, but also not putting so much weight on the development time. I'm surprised I'm seeing so much "It doesn't live up to 12 years in development!"

Did anyone think it would?
I pity them.

Renoxzor
06-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Homefront was awful, not only the game in max settings looked as if you were playing it on a PS3 but with lower fps, but I felt a slap in the face when they delayed it for a month, then a day, then released it for a day and half to then silently pull the plug for a week without warning of any kind, I ended up cancelling my pre-order for the very first time.

Duke in the other hand doesn't look as bad.

DarkHayze
06-11-2011, 06:50 PM
By reading the first reviews, metacritic and reports about Duke Nukem I'm glad, that I didn't pre-ordered.

Others like Homefront, Brink and now Duke Nukem Forever failed in confirming the Over-Hyping they received pre-release.

Honestly I thought Portal 2 failed to deliver too

Hamster Gutz
06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I was really looking forward to DNF because I played Duke Nukem Manhattan Project and it was pretty sweet. After playing the demo for DNF though I'm pretty sure I'm never going to buy it. It was pretty funny in the demo when the girl asked Duke how the game was and he said, "After 12 years it better be good" or something like that.

Renoxzor
06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken World of Warcraft Cataclysm was an extremely overhyped expansion, all the critics (Probably paid by Blizzard) praised it, and rated it 90 - 100 in metascore, players obviously voted against by cancelling their accounts.

JackOfBlades72
06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
If I'm not mistaken World of Warcraft Cataclysm was an extremely overhyped expansion, all the critics (Probably paid by Blizzard) praised it, and rated it 90 - 100 in metascore, players obviously voted against by cancelling their accounts.

Cataclysm came out in 2010.

Anyways, yeah. Waiting for winter. MW3, BF3, and Skyrim. These are titles we know and love, hopefully they'll be good. Most likely they will.

egghead
06-11-2011, 07:27 PM
maybe the hype is what the maya calendar really predicts?

I bet the apocalypse will get awful reviews because it got hyped for 5000 years.

Processor
06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I guarantee Serious Sam 3: BFE and Battlefield 3 deliver the goods this year. Can't wait for those two :D

Hamster Gutz
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM

Anyways, yeah. Waiting for winter. MW3, BF3, and Skyrim. These are titles we know and love, hopefully they'll be good. Most likely they will.

Who is we? I don't love MW3 and I don't know what Skyrim is... :D

JackOfBlades72
06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Who is we?

Unbiased gamers who play most titles.

Somewhat baffled that you don't know what Skyrim is though. Google it.

BlackOps101
06-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes this games overhyped garbage... It's sad how good games get little media attention yet some stupid old character from the 90's gets all this media. GearBox should of never picked this one up and just let it die where it belonged... Just wait for all the BS DLC they are going to dish out, that's all gearbox does is suck your wallet dry and never give you something free...

Iconoclast XVII
06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
GOTY titles are usually generic sequel trash released in the last quarter of the year anyway. Plus I didn't hear much about Portal 2 being all that great... I didn't get it on launch and it seemed like it already died off to the point where I forgot it existed...

DarkHayze
06-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Who is we? I don't love MW3 and I don't know what Skyrim is... :D

Its only going to be the biggest release this year, thats all nothing important or anything

Grinx
06-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Deus ex human revolution and skyrim will, from what I seen actually be the good games of this year.

SnarKs
06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Hype =/= Disappointment

Dont get hyped. How often to you get a game that lives up to its almost godlike expectations?
12 years of hype. Ofcourse its not going to live up to it. Come back to earth.
The more you expect from a game the more you WILL get disappointed.

Instead, take a game for what it is. I liked DNF and Brink. (havent played Homefront cause i didnt think id like it)
The only thing i knew before getting DNF was that it was another Duke Nukem game, and so far im loving it.
I only heard about Brink 1 day before it was released and didnt know what to expect. Loved it aswell.

I dont really look at anyone who lives by reviews as very smart.
Judging something because 1 random guy with his own opinion says so reminds me of christianity.
Like that IGN review of Brink who said "it just doesent feel right". Well wth DOES feel right?
Gameplay felt smooth and right to me. Does that mean im wrong?
I this for myself. And i suggest more people start doing it.

Go read more reviews, because youre completely wrong about your own opinion.

Hamster Gutz
06-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh, I see. Skyrim is the Elder scrolls lol I played Oblivion how did I not know about that? I guess because I didn't like it very much.
EDIT:
Also, Jackofblades72, I wasn't hating on call of duty, If that's what you were implying by 'unbiased gamers'. I played and loved all of the PC ones up till MW2 when I got tired of it. I was just saying I don't Love MW3.

Alienware Gamer
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Throw Alice Madness Returns into the might be crap pile as well. All evidence points to another letdown not DNF level nothing could be that bad but its been confirmed as a repetitive 3rd person platform game with some annoying gameplay mechanics & does not look anything special just another UT3 based console game they happen to also release on PC.

US gamers can confirm tuesday but I doubt its going to be getting much love from the PC crowd anytime soon.....

The problem is that games cost a lot of money to make so publishers set hype to maximum as they are worried about not getting enough PR exposure then the game sucks & the cycle continues onto the next big thing must buy game except PC gamers are more aware & have more means at their disposal to sift through the layers of BS publishers use to sell games!!

Cut2TheChase
06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, my simple bull♥♥♥♥ sifter is closing my wallet till I find out the truth about these games, the only thing I bought this year was Witcher 2 and that was because the gamers spoke and it was a good report.
Never pre-order.

Cottonbud1
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Go read more reviews, because youre completely wrong about your own opinion.

An opinion can't be wrong you ignorant bigot.

chrisdglong
06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
+ Terraria

Best game yet, IMO. Also, the biggest value game yet.

Yeah, it was pretty unintelligent wasn't it? The word "opinion" implies subjectivity which means it wont be considered right or wrong.

tixe
06-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Brink was overhyped but is no way a bad game. It just doesn't count k/d stats. A lot of cod noobs dont like it.

tixe
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Unbiased gamers who play most titles.

Somewhat baffled that you don't know what Skyrim is though. Google it.

All cod games are horrible... Don't know what planet you are from. They are not overhyped but overselling instead the same game over and over again every 3 month with new dlcs.

LedBetter
06-11-2011, 10:42 PM
You need to really look back and think.

It has been like this every year. Hyped game after hyped game and only a very few live up to it.

In this case Witcher 2, Portal 2, and a couple others for me. The thing is I go into games without much hype really. The only game I had been dying to play was Witcher 2 and it certainly lived up to it.

Why when I played Brink and Homefront I enjoyed some aspects of them. But this game? Dear god...dreadful.

alihunter
06-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Why bring Brink?you knew what you were getting into,no need to compare to other useless trash out there.You should say "i am a ♥♥♥♥♥♥" instead of saying saying Brink is a bad game.Its objectives,not kills.

Duke is generic garbage.only people who hyped it are fans.Plus I know which games will not disappoint me,so I don't have to buy bad stuff.

LedBetter
06-11-2011, 11:29 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175639p1.html

"Closing Comments
Duke Nukem is an icon of mid-1990s video game culture brash, vulgar and committed to the art of the one-liner, like a twelve-year old boy with internet access. His association with Duke Nukem Forever's extended development cycle has propelled him to legendary status, attaching to him an undeserved significance. Duke Nukem Forever isn't a revitalization of the early days of the first-person shooter genre or a middle-finger to the increasingly complex and sophisticated nature of videogame entertainment. It's a muddled, hypocritical exercise in irritation with solid shooting mechanics and decent encounter design. There's some dumb fun to be had in Duke Nukem Forever, but the game tries hard to ensure it's only fleeting."

SnarKs
06-11-2011, 11:31 PM

/sarcasm on

MultiVaC
06-12-2011, 12:43 AM
You forgot Dragon Age 2.

DR4K3
06-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Derp. That's the joke.

magicdevil09
06-12-2011, 01:25 AM

Add crysis 2 to that list

magicdevil09
06-12-2011, 01:28 AM

MW3 looks exactly like MW2, same engine, same graphics, probably throw in a few new maps and guns and call it a new game. And they're DLC's are a joke, "4 ALL NEW MAPS, ONLY $15", when if they gave us mod tools we could make hundreds of maps ...

BF3, skyrim and AC: revelations is the only games im lookin forward too

Hertston
06-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Why do people use 'overhyped', when they just mean 'bad, in my opinion'? It's not not 'hype', it's marketing.. and without a big marketing even the best won't sell.

This is all opinion stuff, anyway. Haven't played Homefront but Brink and Bulletstorm are excellent IMHO. Terraria wasn't 'hyped' at all; it sold like hot cakes when it appeared on Steam partly because folks thought it would be the next Minecraft (and they turned out to be right), partly because it was cheap enough to find out, and mostly because it turned out to be rather good. On the other hand Dead Space 2 has been the disappointment of the year so far for me, and Portal 2 is not much better. Both are OK-ish, but compared with the first games just meh. In my opinion, of course!

Tulipopa
06-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Overhyped doesn't equal bad.
The game can be good, but it simply doesn't live up to the expectations people got from its marketing.
For example, some people say portal 2 is overhyped, yet they still find it good and better than some other good games.

PS: The only game I'm eagerly waiting for is an indie title "Bastion".

engineer123
06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
hi again,

I just checked back DNF metacritic score -> 59! I'm really more and more shocked what piece of garbage the devs delivered here, I mean this game should be the coolest and badest on earth.

Kris1596
06-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe not overhyped but certainly overpriced for what they were.

Bulletooth
06-14-2011, 03:15 PM
anyone expecting anything super special from DNF must have lived on a different planet for the last 12 years.
Homefront, imo, was so blatantly obviously overhyped that i couldn't believe people fell for it.

now Brink was a real disappointment for me :(

VampLena
06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Most of the great games this year were ones that were NOT overhyped. Lets just hope Fear 3 and Deus Ex arent crap like the rest of the games on the list. I'd love to play a AAA Title this year that doesnt suck.

kamm
06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Crysis 2 is very good as well.

RIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHT...

...if you are into playing medicore-looking, ♥♥♥♥ty console ports with broing single- and awful multiplayer, that is.

dlind70
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
I guess Deus Ex 3 can't come soon enough. Duke is old school fun and that's fine by me. Hopefully the consumers with a functioning brain will know what they're getting into.

kamm
06-14-2011, 03:44 PM
I guess Deus Ex 3 can't come soon enough. Duke is old school fun and that's fine by me. Hopefully the consumers with a functioning brain will know what they're getting into.

EXACTLY. Played the demo, looked bad - but that's not the point. Point is after ~15 years I have played the first one I bought the (likely) last one, period.

AlHudson1
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Indeed overhyped games year