PDA

View Full Version : gameplay question

dodsdyrk
06-11-2011, 02:48 AM
In many of the missions the goal is to kill a number of fighters but after a small while they start to fly away from from me and Im stuck in an endless chase since their planes seems a bit faster than mine. Im now at the first russian mission and it always ends with me having to start over because the closest enemy plane is miles away. How do you cope with this? Im a just plane (pun intended) stupid or is there any trick I dont know of?

arth1
06-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Have you considered that their planes may be faster than yours?
That said, there is a certain amount of rubberbanding in this game between you and your current target, especially at "arcade" level, but it only appears to take effect when you're close enough to the enemy. So don't let them get away in the first place.

Tricks to flying faster that may or may not help:
- Water injection can be used without penalty in this game.
- Don't climb, then dive to pick up speed, as what you lose on the climb is greater than what you win on the dive. (The exception being Bf-109E, which does shallow climbs as fast as level flight. But not in this game.)
- Adjust the lean if playing at a difficulty level where you can. Different flight levels require a different mix for max speed.
- Even with fuel mix adjustments, your plane will have a different max ground speed at different altitudes. You may want to pursue your enemy at a different flight level.

Or, just let them go and circle around for a long time. Due to the path algorithm of the game, they'll eventually come back. Yah, it's cheating.

But remember that in real life, all you normally got was a single strafe or two at your enemy, after which it was gone, one way or another. You would likely have to head back home because of fuel anyhow.

dodsdyrk
06-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, it helped a lot to level the plane and as you said they eventually came back. Took bloody ages though.