PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse?

TBO_Stephen
06-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Uwe Boll's "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale"

-or-

Obsidian's "Dungeon Siege III"

Which is worse? Honestly, I think DS3 is even more of a travesty than the DS movie. It abuses the venerable Dungeon Siege name just as badly, but it's longer, it costs more, and it didn't make me laugh. What do you guys think?

hopfrog16
06-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Hard to judge this from a demo, but so far I would say that the movie was far worse... The game isn't HORRIBLE. I can see people who aren't a fan of the franchise liking it (I am not really thrilled with it, though).

For those of you that did like the movie, though, don't worry! A sequel is being made this very moment.

lordgarius
06-11-2011, 05:27 PM
It abuses the venerable Dungeon Siege name...

I lol'd

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Haven't seen the movie; heard it was equal to, or slightly better than Troll 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

hopfrog16
06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Haven't seen the movie; heard it was equal to, or slightly better than Troll 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

It isn't bad if you like Uwe Boll, Lord of the Rings knock offs, or Power Rangers.

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 06:08 PM
It isn't bad if you like Uwe Boll, Lord of the Rings knock offs, or Power Rangers.

Hmm, its on netflix, going to check it out later; Top rated comment:

"This is the worst film I have ever seen. I rated it a 1 because there was no option for zero. With a cast like this, I expected better but when the writing is bad there is no hope. Everything about this film stinks: the acting, the directing, the writing, the editing. This film should be shown to all film students on how NOT to make a movie."

I'm going to go with the movies better than DS3 based off of that.

hopfrog16
06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Just wait until you see the movie... If you can watch the whole thing without being bored to tears, getting up, and leaving or changing discs then you win! ;)

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Just wait until you [play the game]... If you can [play] the whole thing without being bored to tears, getting up, and leaving or changing discs then you win! ;)

Srs. Its bad guys, its real bad.

Kaliss
06-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Just wait until you [play the game]... If you can [play] the whole thing without being bored to tears, getting up, and leaving or changing discs then you win! ;)

Srs. Its bad guys, its real bad.

Except its not. The only thing bad is it is not what you imagine a DS game should be and PC controls you don't like, which can be easily fixed by using a gamepad.

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Except its not. The only thing bad is it is not what you imagine a DS game should be and PC controls you don't like, which can be easily fixed by using a gamepad.

Actually I gave up on m/kb and are using a gamepad; this threads about the movie compared to the game, don't derail plz.

TBO_Stephen
06-11-2011, 08:16 PM

My gamepad doesn't work with DS3...

Anyways, controls and misleading name aside, DS3's still got mediocre graphics, a horrible interface, a laughably bad story, and boring combat. It's not even a decent game by console ARPG standards. I'd much rather play Deathspank, which is better in every way (and it made me laugh more than the DS movie did, too :D ), and only costs $15.

bushwhacker2k
06-11-2011, 09:44 PM

Those are two very valid complaints, but I have more! :D

It's lacking in depth, in the other DS's you used skills which built up and defined your character type, in this you just pick one class and stick with it. Only 9 skills per character, a noticeable drop and not a large amount in the first place. Apparently items can only be used by certain classes, whereas in the originals you could eventually use anything, if you built up the skills to do so (like being an armored wizard).

I saw this in a youtube video, but they started chatting with a character and *sigh* her facial expression never altered in the slightest and she didn't really have distinguishing features other than excessive eye liner or large, unrealistic, cleavage. I'm not complaining about hot girls but why even go to that length for in-depth dialogue if it's just going to be expressionless bimbos?

The combat felt disjointed to me, like in other ARPGs I'd go to the enemy and swing at them but I just stood in place and swung my weapon here.

Picking up items was more troublesome than it should have been, I had to click to walk over and pick up ONE pile of gold 4 times to make my character finally realize I wanted her to pick it up.

Is any of this getting through? Our complaints are totally LEGITIMATE! If you like the game then GREAT! Go play it, but we have REASONS why this does not work. In Yahtzee's words(pardon a slight difference, this is off memory): "This is PROVABLY bad".

AlaCarcuss
06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I disagree completely with the OP. If I'd only played the demo, I would have thought the same thing. But now I'm a few hours into DS3 and loving it.

Actually, I think it's a good deal better than the first 2 games. It just takes some time to hit it's stride. Also, play with a 360 controller and turn auto-align camera off - much better.

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I disagree completely with the OP. If I'd only played the demo, I would have thought the same thing. But now I'm a few hours into DS3 and loving it.

Actually, I think it's a good deal better than the first 2 games. It just takes some time to hit it's stride. Also, play with a 360 controller and turn auto-align camera off - much better.

I'm a good deal further than that, and the stride it hits isn't very different from that in the demo (imo). Corridor maps abound, story is drab, voice acting is terrible and it appears they only made 6 or 7 npcs and 4-5 enemies (reused assets happens, but when theres only a few NPC's per town (stone bridge was terrible for this) its pretty laughable.

I'm curious as to what your take is.. other than "you liked it". Did you enjoy the gameplay of the first 2? Other pc arpg's?

TBO_Stephen
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Granted, I haven't played the entire game, but the demo was still more than enough to completely turn me off. I tried to play with a gamepad, but mine isn't supported, which just adds to the travesty. It's a shame that the devs didn't include support for a broader range of gamepads in a game that's obviously meant to be played with one.

Also, the more you drink, the better the DS movie gets. DS3, on the other hand, just gets worse...

gueber
06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Haha that dungeon siege movie, I vaguely remember that the hero aptly named "farmer" yup that is his name and he uses a boomerang as a weapon. I should have changed the channel right then but I dropped the remote and then the batteries fell out.

lordgarius
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm a good deal further than that, and the stride it hits isn't very different from that in the demo (imo). Corridor maps abound, story is drab, voice acting is terrible and it appears they only made 6 or 7 npcs and 4-5 enemies (reused assets happens, but when theres only a few NPC's per town (stone bridge was terrible for this) its pretty laughable.

I'm curious as to what your take is.. other than "you liked it". Did you enjoy the gameplay of the first 2? Other pc arpg's?

Wait, so your playing a pirated version of the game?

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Wait, so your playing a pirated version of the game?

What? No...

lordgarius
06-11-2011, 10:57 PM
What? No...

Well the game has been leaked and your quote sounds as if your playing something other than the demo.

"I'm a good deal further than that, and the stride it hits isn't very different from that in the demo (imo)."

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Well the game has been leaked and your quote sounds as if your playing something other than the demo.

"I'm a good deal further than that, and the stride it hits isn't very different from that in the demo (imo)."

Theres more than one explanation for that though.

lordgarius
06-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Okay....?

Schopenhauer
06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Dude, Troll 2 is awesome!

slyfox86
06-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Dude, Troll 2 is awesome!

Epic fly made that film pretty awesome, I must agree.

Cmdr. Thanatos
06-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Amusingly, I considered this to be Uwe Boll's finest work...

Which means it wasn't complete and utter ♥♥♥♥, but it was still ♥♥♥♥.

Rumtruffle
06-12-2011, 05:45 AM

of course he downloaded it. just another hypocrite moaning about a game and why hes not buying it... and yet it wont stop him actually playing the game. ;)

Billshere
06-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Space

Siege

lordgarius
06-12-2011, 06:52 AM
of course he downloaded it. just another hypocrite moaning about a game and why hes not buying it... and yet it wont stop him actually playing the game. ;)

Yeah, that's what I figured.

bushwhacker2k
06-12-2011, 11:15 AM

... I think we expected you to elaborate here, otherwise our suspicion just grows.

AlaCarcuss
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM

No, I hated the first 2 - thought they were absolute garbage. I'm also not a big ARPG fan - I prefer real RPG's (preferably old-school turn-based one's like Fallout etc.) I don't mind a bit of mindless dungeon hacking like this though occasionally - if it's done well and DS3 is not bad at it IMHO.

In all honesty, DS3 is no better or worse than a dozen other of these sorts of games released in recent years (Torchlight, TQ, etc), so I don't know what all the hate's about - it's just mindless fun. Diablo series of course remains the pinicle of the genre.