PDA

View Full Version : TES V: Skyrim's combat is disappointing

Orange Ninja
06-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm sure everyone who is looking forward to Skyrim has already seen the E3 gameplay demo from G4TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU). My opinions:

So far, the combat looks somewhat uninteresting, bar the dual wielding feature (which is awesome).

I am slightly disappointed/concerned that I didn't see a 'kick' feature that has been such a hallmark for DMMM. The only kick/knee I saw was during a finishing move (@ 3:27), but we all know that doesn't really count.

Secondly, I didn't even see a single block with a sword (except from the enemies). A ridiculous example would be the fight @ 7:20, where the player couldn't block an enemy attack while dual wielding two massive swords. During 8:56, the player doesn't even try to block the enemy's incoming axe-to-the-face.

Sure, it's still early days to start drawing conclusions. But you would've thought the combat system (of all things) would have been finished by now, especially with Arkane on their team? For ♥♥♥♥s sake! :mad:

suicidesurvival
06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Who told you that TES:V would be Dark Messiah 2?

Orange Ninja
06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Are you asking why I connected Dark Messiah with TES:V?

It's not just that I had high hopes - I think everyone assumed it as fact that the Arkane team were working on TES:V after the news came out that they were acquired by Zenimax back in August last year, and were working with Bethesda on a yet unannounced game (http://kotaku.com/5611517/bethesda-snaps-up-another-developer-arkane-studios).

What were Bethesda working on that hadn't yet been announced during that time? Most likely it was Skyrim.

suicidesurvival
06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
That changes everything.
But combat system in Skyrim seems to be much better than that in Oblivion, and there is still plenty of time until game release, who knows...

Acheron
06-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Wouldn't count on a combat system anywhere near as good as Dark Messiah. Unfortunately Skyrim is primarily being made for the console kiddies first, so they'll need to make a fairly streamlined combat system that works with a controller.

Triver
06-23-2011, 05:42 AM
I kind of hoped that Arkanes "The Crossing" would be our Dark Messiah 2 but when they stopped developing it, it was clear for me that there wouldn't be such a thing.

Skyrim will never be anything like Dark Messiah, its simply a whole different game with different mechanics. I dont say it will be bad, I just say it wont be like Dark Messiah.

I'll definitely look into it, not only because of all the improvements to TES:IV (the animations were horrible, seems like they did good with hiring Arkane) but also because I like the series.

For now we have to wait for any user made maps for Dark Messiah, seems like that will be the best extra content we can get.

Corneliusm
07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
IMO, Oblivion had decent melee combat compared to Morrowind and the previous Elder Scrolls games. Heck, do any of you remember Ultima Underworld? FPS RPGs have come quite long way...

Judging from the videos, I think that Skyrim has better combat than Oblivion, but not nearly as robust as Dark Messiah's- and I think that's okay, since DM itself reviewed pretty poorly on 360 due to the controls. Keep in mind that the E3 videos were taken from the 360- combat may have been dumbed down for the controller, so there is some hope for the PC port...

Askjosh
07-01-2011, 06:05 PM
IMO, Oblivion had decent melee combat compared to Morrowind and the previous Elder Scrolls games. Heck, do any of you remember Ultima Underworld? FPS RPGs have come quite long way...

Judging from the videos, I think that Skyrim has better combat than Oblivion, but not nearly as robust as Dark Messiah's- and I think that's okay, since DM itself reviewed pretty poorly on 360 due to the controls. Keep in mind that the E3 videos were taken from the 360- combat may have been dumbed down for the controller, so there is some hope for the PC port...

here is to hoping that the PC version does not suffer from the rather annoying affliction known as consolitus

Jito463
07-03-2011, 07:03 AM
here is to hoping that the PC version does not suffer from the rather annoying affliction known as consolitus

Don't they make a cream for that? ;)

Orange Ninja
07-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Who told you that TES:V would be Dark Messiah 2?

I know, right? OP is stupid.

Game Informer: "August Cover Revealed: Dishonored" (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/07/august-cover-revealed-dishonored.aspx)
PC Gamer: "Dishonored: a new first-person action game from the lead designer of Deus Ex" (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/07/dishonored-a-new-first-person-action-game-from-the-lead-designer-of-deus-ex/)
Eurogamer: "Bethesda announces Dishonored" (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-07-bethesda-announces-dishonoured)
CVG: "Bethesda's Dishonored is official - big talent on board" (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310722/news/bethesdas-dishonored-is-official-big-talent-on-board/)
...etc

Triver
07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Sweet, thx for posting the links.
However if there are firearms in it, I dont think that it will be something like Dark Messiah because its characteristics are in the medieval weapons/armours and in the magic.

But I will definitely watch out for further news of that game.

Orange Ninja
07-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Sweet, thx for posting the links.
However if there are firearms in it, I dont think that it will be something like Dark Messiah because its characteristics are in the medieval weapons/armours and in the magic.

But I will definitely watch out for further news of that game.

There are firearms, but there are also swords and magic (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dishonored/b/xbox360/archive/2011/07/11/getting-to-know-dishonored.aspx)!

Triver
07-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Ah okay. Still I cant really imagine that firearms work well along with swords and magic. But I know that Arkane will do their best so I'll just wait and see for myself :)

The two share a vision of a game that gives players the power to be creative with their skills and tactics, and invites them to come up with interesting solutions to the obstacles in front of themIm happy they want to implement something like this again. I love to be creative with my killing :p

edit: I just read in the game's description that there is only one platform: Xbox360. I sure hope they will also make a PC version (that isnt just a port of the xbox360 version).
If not then this game will sadly be dead for me... (Despite the fact that I dont support the Xbox, FPS games in combination with consoles are not acceptable for me)

spyrochaete
07-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Come on.. I love Dark Messiah but the kick is the most ridiculously overpowered skill in the history of gaming. I've never seen a more literal interpretation of a win button.

Triver
07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Well that depends on the terrain you are playing on. If you are fighting near an abyss or something prone then you are right, a kick equals instant death here (for the enemy).

However if you play on a plain terrain then a kick gives you only a short time where you can attack the enemy (and thats not even every time).

Arkane just put too many instant death traps in the game, thats all (is there even a fight where you dont have spike walls? :p).

Still I think it is fun to use all these features even if some of you think that they are unbalanced.

MrGrendel
10-30-2011, 02:10 AM
One of the key things that made combat DMMM so incredible was the way your environment could make a huge impact on how a fight goes.

Kick was just the connection between combat and the environment in many cases. It was powerful, but they could also have made powerstrikes better at knocking people around, etc.

In any case, I doubt Skyrim combat will ever be as awesome as DMMM combat. The more they copy, however, the better it will be.

The actual combat in Elder Scrolls series so far has never been above barftastic.

MrGrendel
10-30-2011, 02:16 AM
PS: In other news, Dark Messiah makes combat in any other game disappointing.