PDA

View Full Version : Loads and i get a purple and black tiled screen?

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 07:02 AM
ok so i was on some zombie server and a dude said type mat_colorcorrection or something in console so i did and the screen went purple and black tiled

so i quit game and come back into it and its still purple and black tiled screen even at main menu? O.o

any way to fix? i wanna play =[

mat_colorcorrection 1 i think is what i typed? and the game crashed so i reloaded and now cant see the main menu (purple and black tiled screen) and cant see what im typing or anything? please help ='[

kingshaun2k
06-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Delete cstrike folder and Verify game cache?

kingshaun2k
06-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Or try chaning it back to 0

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Delete cstrike folder and Verify game cache?

wont that delete the whole game from my c:drive? O.o

so i will have to reinstall?

EDIT: i cant see what im typing and i cant see a damn thing on main menu XD but i have tried but i dont know whether it did anything or not i see purple and black still =[

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 07:31 AM
deleted the cstrike folder i think?

and it did nothing i verified like you said still nothing =[

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
ok, i deleted counter strike completely and reinstalled and still i have the purple and black tiled screen after the loading screens when first starting up...

so basically

load/counter strike image in the bg and loading sign then when menu pops up it goes all purple and black tiled screen, however i can still hear the sounds when highlighting button on the left? but cannot see them. i cant even see console or anything "/ any way on how to completely reset this all? so i can play again? O.o

Suicide
06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Delete what you did before and then go to where you installed CSS in the first place and delete everything there BUT

steamdir\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

then reinstall.

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
meh i just uninstalled everything about steam off my computer then reinstalling everything one by one hopefully that works if not i shall keep you posted ^^ but thank you for helping =]

Suicide
06-13-2011, 09:40 AM
It might work, but when you delete a game off your computer it doesn't delete custom content and its the custom content that is bugging your game. Removing everything and removing your steam installation will work but I would never do that with my installation seeing as I have like 30 games installed :\

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 09:58 AM
It might work, but when you delete a game off your computer it doesn't delete custom content and its the custom content that is bugging your game. Removing everything and removing your steam installation will work but I would never do that with my installation seeing as I have like 30 games installed :\

hehe my dad has unlimited download speed or whatever so shouldnt take too long to reinstall them all ^^

i done about 5 games already (around 700mb each game) im reinstalling css as we speak and its taking an hour so is all good :)

but thanks anyhows ^^ and what did that thing do then? mat_colorcorrection? because i didnt think it was custom content? O.o

Suicide
06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Well its strange with what mat_colorcorrection did to break your game but it has an impact on in-game visual on the lights. Basically on maps that have mat_colorcorrection (mostly ZE maps such as Lord of the Rings maps) have a special entity on them that changes the impact of colour when you enter the area of change so it appeals more "realistic".

http://www.bravenewgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/comparison.jpg

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
OMFG and its still broken? Ž.Ž so what should i do now? and whats this steamdir?

Suicide
06-13-2011, 11:18 AM
SteamDir is what I'm using to reference to your Stream Directory.

Zunkill
06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
so what have i got to delete?

could you make a list please? ^^

Doni
06-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Go to c:\program files\steam\steamapps in your computer.
In there, there should be a folder that's the same name as your Steam account. Go in there. Inside, there should be a folder called Counter-Strike Source. Delete it. Then play the game again.

Uninstalling the game doesn't remove this folder, so reinstalling the game doesn't change anything.

Remember, deleting this folder will remove any skins/mods and options you have for CS. But it's basically resetting CS to default mode, as if you just installed it for the first time.

Zunkill
06-14-2011, 01:44 AM
doni i deleted the Counter-Strike Source and it basically uninstalls the game but i reinstalled several times now and still nothing....

i deleted everything of my computer as well once and nothing? i dont know whats wrong with it?

EDIT: i deleted the folder "Counter Strike-Source" like you told me then click played my bad it didnt uninstall the game however i still have the purple and black tiled screen....

could it be the hl2 engine thing? or is it counter strike itself? either way it wont show the main menu its still a purple and black tiled screen...
http://steamcommunity.com/id/zunkill/screenshot/576673802889235761?tab=public
screenie =]

kingshaun2k
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Never seen anything like that happen before, you could try installing the latest drivers for your graphics card.

\counter-strike source\cstrike

DELETE that folder then Verify game cache, i think that black and purple thing happens when you have missing textures.

Zunkill
06-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Never seen anything like that happen before, you could try installing the latest drivers for your graphics card.

\counter-strike source\cstrike

DELETE that folder then Verify game cache, i think that black and purple thing happens when you have missing textures.

lol this is what i've done today...

deleteing the counter-strike source shared GCL - after that reinstalled. nothing

deleted that folder you told me - nothing

deleted it all nothing of counter strike even on my computer no more and nothing still i get the purple and black checkerboard thing...

i downloaded a GCFScape (third party program) to mess around and take a look in the GCF folder and validated it using gcfscape and the credits.txt file was all what was wrong otherwise everything was fine. so i deleted everything again and rereinstalled (like my 10th time now) and still nothing XD i dont know what it could be? maybe a glitch in the steam cloud remembering something? if so how do i disable steam cloud for the time being? also i've done what you just told me again and still nothing ^^;;

so yeah pretty much ♥♥♥♥ed :)

EDIT: btw before this the only thing abnormal i did was type mat_colorcorrection with a number (cant remember) in console during a zombie game as it was all red and i could barely see anything XD it worked then died? so i dont know whats up? :(

Doni
06-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Right click CS:S in your games list > properties > local files > verify integrity of cache.

Dunno if that will help, but if it doesn't, I guess all that's left is reinstalling Steam (make sure you delete the Steam folder and ANY relevant files when you do).

This is a weird problem... Never heard of anyone's screen going missing texture mode...

Perhaps there is a problem with your CS:S menu background texture?

Zunkill
06-14-2011, 01:45 PM
lol i have deleted the steam folder on my c drive XD i have it no where else and actually uninstalled steam and every single game off my computer... but nada nothing zilch... and i have verified the cache thing

if there is something wrong with the background texture where would it be on my c drive? if you could link me maybe i could find and replace it with another?? or something see if that helps? O.o

kingshaun2k
06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Try Gamebanana.com, you can download them there.

Zunkill
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
ok i have a question? whats in your guys materials folder?

i go cdrive/program fils x86/steam/steamapps/zunkill/counter-strike source/cstrike/materials

i only have a vgui folder then that leads on in loads of folders then some sprays? only 2 though? i think the GCF isnt verifying correctly? if so how come when i have deleted everything twice it stills doesnt verify properly? O.o - did i find the solution no as i just used GCFScape to get EVERYTHING from the GCF and put it in and still checkerboard Ž.Ž

EDIT: added a new background and menu texture thing and i still got the checkboard ='[ it my game basically screwed and i cant play it anymore? well can play but cant see anything? XD best game ever and i cant play =.=

boastt
07-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I have the same problem, on a mac.

loading:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1959/screenshot20110704at505.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/screenshot20110704at505.png/)

menu:
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8058/screenshot20110704at506.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/screenshot20110704at506.png/)

boastt
07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
bump :p

luckily TF2 went free, so I've been playing that for now

M_A_R_I_N_E_S
07-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I think it might be steam cloud (Or whatever it's called) messing you up still.

Go into your steam options, go to Downloads+Cloud, and uncheck the box that says something like "Synchronize Steam Cloud with games that support it." If that doesnt fix it right off the bat, reset the mat_colorcorrection to 0, which I think is the default value.

boastt
07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I think it might be steam cloud (Or whatever it's called) messing you up still.

Go into your steam options, go to Downloads+Cloud, and uncheck the box that says something like "Synchronize Steam Cloud with games that support it." If that doesnt fix it right off the bat, reset the mat_colorcorrection to 0, which I think is the default value.

I delete the CSS folder for my account and let it remake for everything I try, so settings should be default.

I tried disabling steam cloud for CSS, no luck.

boastt
08-06-2011, 02:12 PM
bump5

bapae
08-06-2011, 06:01 PM
try mat_colorcorrection 0 into console and if thats what you typed try mat_colorcorrection 1

boastt
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
try mat_colorcorrection 0 into console and if thats what you typed try mat_colorcorrection 1

can't reach the console since it occurs at the menu. changing it in config.cfg does nothing

CenTiSoN
08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
can't reach the console since it occurs at the menu. changing it in config.cfg does nothing

What's preventing you from making your own thread quoting this one boastt?

Anyway try these steps:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370725

Start from Step 2.

barrabas436
09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
What's preventing you from making your own thread quoting this one boastt?

Anyway try these steps:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370725

Start from Step 2.

Hello youīre not the only ones with this problem and canīt solve it. I did everything that you suggested. I even wrote some stuff in the console even without seeing it. I discovered something you donīt know: I gave my nickname and pass to two of my friends and they could play with my account in their computers. However, I canīt play in mine or in my brotherīs computer. If you discover something else or even a solution pls quote.

tb87670
09-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Gmod gets the same thing for me occasionally, always on something like Spacebuild Mod on certain maps. It's an issue with reflections I think, though not sure. Typically restarting the PC fixes it for me in Gmod though here in CSS I'm not sure.

C1Team
09-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Try this Zunkill,

Open regedit from the run box.

Now open and navigate to
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER
2. Software
3. Valve
4. Source
5. cstrike
6. settings

Look for the mat_colorcorrection on the right of listed entries, double click it or Modify and if the value is 1 change it to a 0 and hit ok.

Restart CSS.

Mystical Siege
09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Hello youīre not the only ones with this problem and canīt solve it. I did everything that you suggested. I even wrote some stuff in the console even without seeing it. I discovered something you donīt know: I gave my nickname and pass to two of my friends and they could play with my account in their computers. However, I canīt play in mine or in my brotherīs computer. If you discover something else or even a solution pls quote.

Are they playing at the same time as you? Then steam has realized that you're trying to run the game off multiple computers with one account, which just doesn't fly with Valve, as they want to sell more than one copy of the game.

Does it say that your password is wrong? In that case, one of them changed the password and has hijacked your account. PRO TIP: Don't give people your password.

Does it say that you have been banned by VAC? Then one of them hacked and got the accout banned.

Let me reiterate: DON'T GIVE YOUR PASSWORD OUT TO OTHER PEOPLE.

barrabas436
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Are they playing at the same time as you? Then steam has realized that you're trying to run the game off multiple computers with one account, which just doesn't fly with Valve, as they want to sell more than one copy of the game.

Does it say that your password is wrong? In that case, one of them changed the password and has hijacked your account. PRO TIP: Don't give people your password.

Does it say that you have been banned by VAC? Then one of them hacked and got the accout banned.

Let me reiterate: DON'T GIVE YOUR PASSWORD OUT TO OTHER PEOPLE.

The guys I have given my pass and nickname are friends and they didnīt steal my account.

barrabas436
09-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Try this Zunkill,

Open regedit from the run box.

Now open and navigate to
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER
2. Software
3. Valve
4. Source
5. cstrike
6. settings

Look for the mat_colorcorrection on the right of listed entries, double click it or Modify and if the value is 1 change it to a 0 and hit ok.

Restart CSS.

I tried that and no success. Awating more sugestions...

barrabas436
09-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I found a way to solve this problem. In csstrike folder go to cfg folder and then delete config.cfg file. This worked with me.

Zunkill
02-14-2012, 06:43 AM
solution i think

Exit Steam and go into SteamApps\[account name]\ and delete the folder for this game. - Restart Steam and follow the link below to validate your cache files: Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF) Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335 - Try launching the game. see if that helps =]

i got a reply from steam support lol and its still banana'ed today =/

boastt
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM
ooh, finally got it working. Seems /steam/userdata had to be deleted too or else it would restore from it.

halfman010
06-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I typed in mat_colorcorrection 1, now I get the purple checkerboard on the menu. This is NOT a missing texture, this happens on any computer I login into and only does it on my steam account. I can go on any computer out there with css already installed and when I load it up on my steam account, I get the purple checkerboard. Even if I disable cloud, it still some how gets sync into my configs.

I can no longer play counter-strike source on my steam account, only other steam accounts work.

Amber_BW
07-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Ok, here is the solution, quit steam, go to D:\steam\steamapps\(username)\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg, open config file with notepad, find mat_colorcorrection change the "1" into "0", save, close the window, right click on config file, properties, check read-only. Then enjoy.

ChocOrange
07-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Then enjoy.
Then enjoy posting to fix your other problems... like options not saving.

Config.cfg should NEVER be edited - that's Valve's way to save option edits.

Much better to add mat_colorcorrection 0 to any other cfg eg autoexec.cfg (need to create it). This file will execute after config.cfg.

Amber_BW
07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Then enjoy posting to fix your other problems... like options not saving.

Config.cfg should NEVER be edited - that's Valve's way to save option edits.

Much better to add mat_colorcorrection 0 to any other cfg eg autoexec.cfg (need to create it). This file will execute after config.cfg.

I tried autoexec.cfg at 1st place but seems not working(or I must miss some command),thank you for pointing out this problem to those who dont know what config.cfg is. Still it seems the only workable solution now, better change settings everytime than cant play the game forever, right?(I believe most ppl have their options chosen to the ones they want before they encounter this problem)

-Bacardi-
07-25-2012, 11:51 AM
your problem is
"mat_color_projection" = "0"
archive

so add in config or in startup command line (where you enable -console)

-console +mat_color_projection 0

snakeclone
08-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Yes Bacardi's solution fixed my problem. I was trying to change a setting in zombie escape mod and it resulted in the purple and black squares.

For those who don't know what he's talking about:
1.In steam, right click counterstrike source.
2. go into properties
3. choose set launch options.
4. enter "-console +mat_color_projection 0" without the "".

then it works.