PDA

View Full Version : New to game - Is there a manual? (How do you use collected items?)

Georg13
06-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Hello,
I can't seem to use all the gear I'm collecting. How do I use the camera? How do I use the swabs? (etc) (I can look at all the items but I don't understand how to use them. I even got the camera and the film to combine but clicking on it does not seem to do anything?)

Thanks for the help:confused:

Metal85
06-16-2011, 05:23 AM
use item on whatever. like use cam on body. that simple.

disgruntled_gir
08-10-2011, 06:24 PM
use item on whatever. like use cam on body. that simple.

NO IT ISN'T!

This thing is seriously ticking me off.
The camera should be loaded with film. Easy enough. Click Camera>Combine> Film = Done.

Now to take a picture SHOULD BE Click on Loaded Camera> Click on Closed Fist (which is Use)
Error.
It just goes >en< and unselects it. I can't get past the first darn thing because I can't take a photo of the bloodstain.
I've been at this 40 minutes. I've restarted the game once. :o

Any advice? Running Win 7 and tha game actually looks darn good for its age.

colorado
08-10-2011, 11:06 PM
The inventory system in this game is incredibly stupid and somewhat confusing. Once you realize how it works, though, it's absurdly simple (to the point where it kind of takes all the challenge out of the inventory puzzle sections of the game).

With most adventure games you just grab an item from your inventory, move it around the screen with your mouse until you find something to interact with. So that's what I originally tried to do with Still Life, but it didn't work.

With Still Life if you are next to an object on the screen that you can use an item from your inventory with a little fist icon will appear in the upper left corner of the screen. If you see this fist icon, this is your cue to open your inventory (right mouse button), click on an item to highlight it (left mouse button), then click on the fist icon in the inventory once the object is highlighted (left click). This should use the item on the object. What sucks is that most of the time you can't use an item at all until you are standing in the exact right spot, or did the right set of actions, to get the little fist icon to appear.

Like I said, not only is this incredibly cumbersome, counter intuitive, and generally just a stupid way of implementing an inventory system in an adventure game (why on earth did they do things this way? Was it because this game was released on consoles?), it also over-simplifies inventory puzzles as whenever you come across something that needs an item from your inventory a "fist" icon will appear. This basically eliminates all challenge and guess work and tells the player outright "You need to use an inventory item now!"

Anyhow, if you are having problems, it could very well be that the item you are trying to use just doesn't work with the thing you want. And generally, if a little fist icon does not appear then the object cannot be interacted with. So, for example, in the first section, even though the game tells you to take pictures of evidence--you can often only take pictures once you do things to the evidence [MINOR PUZZLE SPOILERS---so, for example, if I recall you can only take pictures of certain blood samples after you first use the black light filters and also apply the "hidden blood" solution].

If you are still having troubles, I'm pretty sure a manual is included in the game's folder in steam. There's no link to a manual on the store page, but I think I remember seeing one when I was poking around the game's directory. Failing that, if you are still stuck I'd recommend just watching a gameplay video for the first section on steam as that should give you an idea of how it works.

colorado
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
PS:

I just checked and the manual should be located here (or whatever equivelant path this would be on your machine, I have Vista 64):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\still life\Manual.pdf

disgruntled_gir
08-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Thank you SO much, colorado. Your advice was pretty well laid out and I finally have the manual thanks to you.

I still haven't gotten past the very first "Looks like faint traces of a blood trail" but now I know it's basically a pixel hunt until I can get that fist to display in the corner.

I'll definately look into the video if I give up there.

I remember you from The GraveYard forum - you cracked me up about the mimes in the Co-Op patch. :D