PDA

View Full Version : Personal Oppinion(rant) on EA games being removed

DkryptX3
06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Heres my personal rant and opinion you have been forewarned.

In this day and age you don't know who you can trust for reliable digital distribution let alone personal information (I'm looking at you sony :mad: ). Does anyone remember Walmart music? As a result of caution I only buy from places I trust and I'm leery to buy from a new location whether it be for computer hardware, video games, or brands I trust (Go Go Western Digital and Valve).

Rumor has it that EA wants to take their games off of steam and make their games exclusive to their new service Origin. Now this means if I want to get a new EA game I would need to trust EA to keep my personal information secure as well as another account to remember and program to keep installed. To me this is the equivalent of having unprotected sex with another partner rather than your trusted companion; yes it could be fun however bad ♥♥♥♥ can happen. And considering EA doesn't have the best track record which can be seen at the link below I doubt I will be using Origin any the time soon. This means I will not be purchasing any EA titles that force the use of Origin which may include TOR, Madness Returns, Battlefield 3 (I have religiously bought every battlefield game to date), and many more.

And if anyone wants to suggest getting it for console, I'd rather not play the game then be forced to buy it on console for a reason like this.

@EA The revenue lost my purchases isn't much but there are others like me and it will add up.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941/1

/end rant

jsdratm
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
I was happy when they released their games on GOG, but now them taking games off of steam has made me displeased. I won't buy anything from their crappy online service and I hope others follow suit. If nobody buys their "exclusives" maybe they'll get the hint.

bugtrip
06-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Exclusives are what it comes down to though. Why have another distributor (Steam) reap the benefits of pre-releases and exclusives? If the product is entirely EA's, then they should have the right to consume the profits entirely. I would suspect that after the game's release, we will eventually find it on Steam.

Pvt.Snail
06-30-2011, 08:59 AM
.....we will eventually find it on Steam.

I agree. As the Steam customer base is just too large to ignore. ;)

Stardog_1
07-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Exclusives are what it comes down to though. Why have another distributor (Steam) reap the benefits of pre-releases and exclusives? If the product is entirely EA's, then they should have the right to consume the profits entirely. I would suspect that after the game's release, we will eventually find it on Steam.

I would agree completely. EXCEPT,,,,when the game has already come out and has been sold thru a particular site such as Steam. As in, Crysis 2 and all the frills. In this case many have bought the game thru Steam (w/extras).

Now it appears it will no longer be fully supported by either EA or Steam. Must we now, manually, watch two sites for updates/DLC?
For us less than ludite consumers, how will we perform updates install DLC/expansion packs, indeed, WILL we even be able to????

For Steam, are you making special provisions to fully support any EA tiles bought thru your service? Including offering any future updates, DLC, and expansion packs? If these things are not somehow shown in the "store", how will you keep your customers apprised?

The ease of purchase and maintaining the games is the cornerstone of why I have moved almost exclusively to Steam for all my games. If they aren't on Steam I don't buy them, period.

Again no big deal as long as a problem like this arises BEFORE the games are marketed to your customers. Right now in the case of Crysis 2 and others, I at least, no longer have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the security of my purchases.

Right2Live
08-20-2011, 03:28 PM
EA didn't pull anything from Steam. Valve did.

HolisticCookie
08-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Heres my personal rant and opinion you have been forewarned.

In this day and age you don't know who you can trust for reliable digital distribution let alone personal information (I'm looking at you sony :mad: ). Does anyone remember Walmart music? As a result of caution I only buy from places I trust and I'm leery to buy from a new location whether it be for computer hardware, video games, or brands I trust (Go Go Western Digital and Valve).

Rumor has it that EA wants to take their games off of steam and make their games exclusive to their new service Origin. Now this means if I want to get a new EA game I would need to trust EA to keep my personal information secure as well as another account to remember and program to keep installed. To me this is the equivalent of having unprotected sex with another partner rather than your trusted companion; yes it could be fun however bad ♥♥♥♥ can happen. And considering EA doesn't have the best track record which can be seen at the link below I doubt I will be using Origin any the time soon. This means I will not be purchasing any EA titles that force the use of Origin which may include TOR, Madness Returns, Battlefield 3 (I have religiously bought every battlefield game to date), and many more.

And if anyone wants to suggest getting it for console, I'd rather not play the game then be forced to buy it on console for a reason like this.

@EA The revenue lost my purchases isn't much but there are others like me and it will add up.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941/1

/end rant

Not on Steam? Just don't buy it then.

Digital Distribution is the future. EA is just late to the party...very late...and they didn't even bring an extra keg.

EA's that d o u_ch_ebag that comes late, finishes the beer, eats all the pizza and gives you the middle finger when he leaves.

To be honest, between Activision and EA, I don't think i'll be making sweet sweet war this year. Both companies can go ^*&^()* each other.

Elric
08-27-2011, 12:43 PM
My opinion? I don't care really. The only new EA games I would have wanted to buy were the ones made by Bioware.

Now that Origin may start to be required for all of their games I won't be getting the Bioware games either.

I knew that nothing good could come of Bioware selling out to EA. EA's stink soon comes to permeate anything and everyone they're near.

fuller556
09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
According to Tom's Hardware, there's even more to be concerned about regarding Origin:

"Recently it was discovered that Origin's EULA allows Electronic Arts to snoop through the end-user's system -- including installed and uninstalled software -- and send that information to third-party service providers.

'You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services," the agreement reads. "EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.'"

The entire article is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Modern-Warfare-3-Battlefield-3-Steam-Origin-FPS,13325.html

I had only recently bought Dragon Age II off of Amazon and had not even opened it, but when I read this, I sent it back for a refund because this is really going too far. I also sent a letter to PC Gamer magazine about it because if this is how EA is going to treat its paying customers, I don't want anything to do with either Origin or their games. If the game ever shows back up on Steam in the form of a Digital Deluxe or Game of the Year edition after all the DLCs are released, then I will consider buying it again through Steam, provided it does not also require Origin. If not, then I have no problem with never playing the game.

SpectralShade
09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
You forgot to mention the part where they just transfered all previous EA user acounts into being Origin acounts.

Technically, if they REALLY wanted to go full♥♥♥♥♥♥, they could patch old games to make you log into origin instead of the normal ea framework when you fire up an old game after a new patch. Basicly forcing themselves upon old users as well as new. After all, you already got the origin acount, right? ;)

While I haven't heard any intentions in this regard yet, I understand that some users of games from before Origin was started out need to use it to get regular patches for their games from the official source (EA) which really isn't that far a step from the horror scenario if you think about it.

fuller556
09-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I've never had an EA account, so I had no idea about the transition from normal to Origin accounts, though that doesn't really surprise me...

I would hope that EA would not issue patches for their older titles to force the use of Origin on those, as well. If they ever do that, I'll be getting rid of Mirror's Edge and any other EA games I have. Still, the forced use of Origin just to get patches for those games is in itself worrisome. Origin definitely needs to be stopped.

Knopperz
11-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Join the Resistance... say NO to origin ;)
http://www.theorigin.de/wordpress/

soulmist
11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm still waiting to buy BF3 until it comes out on Steam. If it doesn't, I will (sadly) opt out of buying it altogether.

Jimbo1531
11-22-2011, 01:50 AM
I've always said I wouldn't go anywhere near Origin, but then again I also always said Valve would never lose my credit card details so... meh.

kaiouti
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
not really likin EA, been getting their games since PS1 etc; but alot of EA sports games and stuff have loading problems and lag issues :(