PDA

View Full Version : Not tied in with Steam's update feature?

Daakun
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I just finished dowloading through Steam and I was all ready to start playing when the game client dropped an "Updating files..." on me.
Several times in a row.

That's... pretty darn annoying.
I get the feeling I'll have to try to boot the game for each update, none of the fancy automatic updates I'm used to.

SnarKs
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I just finished dowloading through Steam and I was all ready to start playing when the game client dropped an "Updating files..." on me.
Several times in a row.

I get the feeling I'll have to try to boot the game for each update, none of the fancy automatic updates I'm used to.

Well, the game automatically checks for updates when you launch it, like all MMOs. I dont see the problem really :/

Daakun
06-16-2011, 01:43 PM
The whole point of Steam integration is letting users take advantage of the Steam client, in this case, automatic updates for my Steam games.

I shouldn't have to try to boot the game to update it, Steam has a feature to perform automatic updates and they should be using it.
At the very least, I should have received an up-to-date client the first time I downloaded it.

Greenasp
06-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Have to agree it's annoying, however, it's not unique. Every MMO I've tried on Steam so far has done the same thing. The client takes care of the updates not Steam. I guess that's because of how often MMOs update, though.

The last MMO I bought through Steam, Rift, actually just downloaded a VERY small file which was the download client to get the files directly from the publisher. I guess Steam is just acting like an advertising headquarters in that case.

vempajor
06-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately there are some games on Steam what are not updated by Steam. :(

But there is something what is more annoying IMO: you have to create new accounts for these games...

avidwriter
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Well I think it's just the games are available through steam not actually by steam. So you only downloading whatever client they sent to steam and playing the game and their servers not steams so any updates are from them unless they send them to steam. Most other games give steam everything and it's out of their hands. This being an MMO I guess it's better for them to handle all the patches etc on their end. I'm assuming.

Den
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Several times in a row.

Games that have their own launcher all do this.
Steam launches the launcher. It checks for updates and gives you them before you play.

smeghead25
06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
I find it ironic that the day after they boot Crysis 2 off Steam for not using the automatic update feature, they stick a few more games on and advertise them on the main page even though they don't use the automatic updater...

SmileyBarry
06-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I find it ironic that the day after they boot Crysis 2 off Steam for not using the automatic update feature, ...

What? That can't the reason, there are countless games on Steam which use other sources to update themselves. For example, BioShock 2 uses GFWL to update.

But let's not turn this into a Crysis 2 thread. I just had to point that out.

amcdermo
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Champions Online also patches independently of Steam.

.O.
06-17-2011, 09:16 PM
it's an MMO, afaik all the MMOs updates through their own methods

ICryCauseImEmo
06-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Having steam auto update an MMO would be way to time consuming. Most of these MMO's pop out updates almost weekly even if its bug fixes etc. That means almost every week they would need to resubmit the update to steam and roll it out to clients. On top of that what about people who are not even using steam to play this game? How are they going to get the updates. It just makes a lot more sense for the client to do it.

Besides once you update to the recent it's done boom you only need to update on the next patch and it's not like WoW where you will be getting gigs of patchs etc.