PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Kindle.

Sirhc Nacnud
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
So for a graduating present, my parents gave me a kindle. Now I had known what it is, even done some research awhile ago on them. It seems like a really neat device. I heard that you can get a large variety of textbooks on them, usually for a fraction of the cost. I think it will take me a while of getting used to. For one, I don't actually read books much (ever). But what do you guys think? Anyone else have one? Any other awesome uses other than to read books on a techy device? The built in browser interested me a bit, and I'm loving the electronic ink-technoloy too.

Microshocky
06-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Just read books. Theres lots of them and theres so many that you can never run out of good ones to read.

I personally like seeing that I read a colossal book and proudly putting it up on a shelf (before returning it to the library). Can't do that with the kindle.

skippy72294
06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
So for a graduating present, my parents gave me a kindle. Now I had known what it is, even done some research awhile ago on them. It seems like a really neat device. I heard that you can get a large variety of textbooks on them, usually for a fraction of the cost. I think it will take me a while of getting used to. For one, I don't actually read books much (ever). But what do you guys think? Anyone else have one? Any other awesome uses other than to read books on a techy device? The built in browser interested me a bit, and I'm loving the electronic ink-technoloy too.

We have the first gen touch with free 3g... it's quite epic

Europhoria
06-16-2011, 08:20 PM
I bought a tablet PC instead so that I could listen to music and maybe watch some videos on it later. I'll just get the Android Kindle app for it.

aw3524
06-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I still have the first-gen Sony Reader; it was sort of neat at the time, but I ended up preferring paper books/my laptop. Has the technology advanced a lot since then?

I personally like seeing that I read a colossal book and proudly putting it up on a shelf...
ah yes, this. It's not enough to read; I want people that drop by my apartment to know that I read by looking at my bookshelf.

markcocjin
06-16-2011, 08:52 PM
You need to get the latest model if you're not into reading.

YouTube link here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0Zry_R4RQ)

Garbagemanfight
06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
I like using it for reading scientific journal articles. Better than using a lot of paper/ink to print them out, and I'd rather read on the Kindle than my computer's monitor.

gjork
06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Put all your .pdf game manuals on it and now you can actually read the manual to learn a game while playing the game.

arisaka
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Gutenberg is where you can get many old books for free. It's legal, too.

EDIT: Download the Kindle versions of the books, then drag them into calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) and transfer them.

Europhoria
06-16-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Gutenberg is where you can get many old books for free. It's legal, too.

EDIT: Download the Kindle versions of the books, then drag them into calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) and transfer them.

Holy crap. How long is War and Peace??!!! :eek:

arisaka
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM

Err, long enough that tolstoy in Russian means a very long book...?

phantasmic
06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Also a recommendation: if you'd like any newer books for free then check out your local library. It's becoming more and more popular for libraries to have an online system as well through a company called Overdrive (I thought mine wouldn't since it's a city of 4000 people but it turned out they did). Unfortunately, Kindle is one of the last readers that doesn't support their file types, but Amazon announced a few months ago that they'll have support by the end of this year.

Sinophile
06-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I have a Kindle, but I hate it because it is in Black and White. Nook is better.

Microshocky
06-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Err, long enough that tolstoy in Russian means a very long book...?

Tolstoy means fat :D

So that's not too far off.

Baron_Fel
06-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Love my Nook Wifi.

I have a Kindle, but I hate it because it is in Black and White. Nook is better.

lol why would you buy it then.

~~ArdEnuff~~
06-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Nook? Backlit screen. Big no no for an ereader imo.

Far far nicer to have a proper ereader display. Proper full colour ereader displays will be common enough soon of course.

I am also looking forward to full colour non backlit displays because they will finally make digital photoframes make sense.

NiteHyeway
06-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Tolstoy means fat :D

So that's not too far off.

Actually, it doesn't mean anything. The standard form of the word fat is not tolstoy.

gjork
06-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Why would anyone want color to read books? Like has already been said, the Nook is not even a real eReader because it does not use eInk tech, which means a much shorter battery life and more eye strain.

iPad is not an eReader either so don't be fooled by the Apple propaganda machine saying it is.

~~ArdEnuff~~
06-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Why would anyone want color to read books? Like has already been said, the Nook is not even a real eReader because it does not use eInk tech, which means a much shorter battery life and more eye strain.

iPad is not an eReader either so don't be fooled by the Apple propaganda machine saying it is.
I agree with your general point. However colour will allow ereaders to break into new areas - magazines and text/reference books will benefit greatly from colour displays.

Baron_Fel
06-17-2011, 06:48 AM
I agree with your general point. However colour will allow ereaders to break into new areas - magazines and text/reference books will benefit greatly from colour displays.

those are for tablets. Eink is what defines an ereader.

Sirhc Nacnud
06-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Sounds good guys, thanks for the tips. I've been pretty busy, so haven't had much time to toy around with it yet, but I'm becoming more and more impressed with the e-ink technology. Takes no power to hold an image on the screen? That's just cool.

Another question, is there an easier way to find free books on the kindle store? I can't find any way on the kindle to search just for free titles. I don't like spending money on books. I'd rather just take them out from the library in that case.

Microshocky
06-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Actually, it doesn't mean anything. The standard form of the word fat is not tolstoy.

You're nitpicking a Russian person, AKA me. You can certainly use tolstoy to call someone fat, it'd sound more like tolstiy though. You can also use jirniy.

Erik604
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
I love my kindle it was pretty cool, the one thing that i like about the kindle was you can take it anywhere, even get the app on your phone. yea you get your textbooks for alot less expensive. Books that would have cost me about 100 I got for 20. You can also adjust the lettering to fit your comfort and the computer to, If i had alot of reading to do i would just zoom out and read like 5 pages in one. The only thing that got frustrating was the page number system you dont get page numbers but locations, so that was a little bit ehhh but other than that mines really cool i love it.

I used the nook program for my computer and i hated it, I would search terms and it those terms never came up.

Europhoria
06-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Sounds good guys, thanks for the tips. I've been pretty busy, so haven't had much time to toy around with it yet, but I'm becoming more and more impressed with the e-ink technology. Takes no power to hold an image on the screen? That's just cool.

Another question, is there an easier way to find free books on the kindle store? I can't find any way on the kindle to search just for free titles. I don't like spending money on books. I'd rather just take them out from the library in that case.

On the right is the top 100 free ebooks offered on Kindle. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/ref=zg_tr_tab) You can later search genre by genre and filter by price so you get the free kindles posted first.

arisaka
06-17-2011, 11:20 PM
You're nitpicking a Russian person, AKA me. You can certainly use tolstoy to call someone fat, it'd sound more like tolstiy though. You can also use jirniy.

Well, I'm not Russian at all, but on here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Doorstopper) [tvtropes.org] it says in the Literature section,

Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, famously so. In fact, the adjective "tolstoy"*
Which, as it happens, is related to the Russian word tolstyj, meaning 'big' or 'fat'
has become the Russian language's word for a Door Stopper-y book. Late 19th century Russian authors like Tolstoy and Dostoevsky were paid by the page, hence the length of their works. It's also worth noting that many of these books were published in serial installments, so the authors were not thinking in terms of one collected volume when the stories were written.

Microshocky
06-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, I'm not Russian at all, but on here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Doorstopper) [tvtropes.org] it says in the Literature section,

Yeah but its not pronounced tolstyj. It's pronounced tolstiy.

Are you confirming me being right or trying to say I'm wrong? Just wanting to clarify.

IgnoreThisPlox
06-17-2011, 11:47 PM
IN SOVIET RUSSIA...........

Teh_Guy
06-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Just read books. Theres lots of them and theres so many that you can never run out of good ones to read.

I personally like seeing that I read a colossal book and proudly putting it up on a shelf (before returning it to the library). Can't do that with the kindle.

not only that, but books don't run out of batteries at the good parts.

Microshocky
06-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Does that happen with the Kindle though? It has a months worth of battery life and that's if you're not charging it like once a week

joeylawn
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM

While the Kindle battery does run low, no data is lost - you can resume re-reading after a recharge. Yeah, I know a real book you don't need batteries, but a 'real' book can only store 1 Book. ;)

BirdyToe
06-18-2011, 10:05 AM

I don't know why but this made me lol hard.

But anyways my brother has a kindle and I do alot in dead tree format and of what I suggested to him he found the hitchhickers guide for a few dollars and a free Rambo first blood,both very good.

But get the original first blood not the novelization of the movie.

joeylawn
06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't know why but this made me lol hard.

But anyways my brother has a kindle and I do alot in dead tree format and of what I suggested to him he found the hitchhickers guide for a few dollars and a free Rambo first blood,both very good.

But get the original first blood not the novelization of the movie.

LMAO @ "Dead Tree Format" :D :D :D

BirdyToe is kickin' it 'old-school'....:cool:

DTF, baby!

Fox_McCloud
06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I would love to get a Kindle but I know they will have a new version out in 6 months or so, so there is no point in buying one until then.