PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Finally a game to explain geopolitics

War-A-Tron
06-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Excellent game. It is about time someone made a game explaining the crooked actions by Britan and America just to profit from oil in Iran.

I look forward to a game about how congo blood dimonds next :)

edub77
06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it would be fantastic if there were a lot more of these type of games. There is an endless amount of interesting historical topics that can be done!

worse1
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
As long as it's fact-based that's good. Not really looking forward to "The cat and the 9/11 inside job" though, well unless that theory becomes fact somewhere in the future of course.

Egoist
06-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Excellent game. It is about time someone made a game explaining the crooked actions by Britan and America just to profit from oil in Iran.

I look forward to a game about how congo blood dimonds next :)

Oh yeah, those evil Brits. How dare they create a GSE from a country who opposed them in WW2? I bet that's not in there now is it? Or how about the danger of leaving a guy in power who was supported and supported the USSR? Gee that doesn't fit in your narrative now does it?

Jashin
06-19-2011, 11:31 AM
you need to read up more on history, not just from the perspective of the oppressors.

somini
06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, those evil Brits. How dare they create a GSE from a country who opposed them in WW2? I bet that's not in there now is it? Or how about the danger of leaving a guy in power who was supported and supported the USSR? Gee that doesn't fit in your narrative now does it?

As your username implies, you really need to stop thinking that things are bad because your country's politician say so. Start thinking for yourself, if you can...

tixe
06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
As long as it's fact-based that's good. Not really looking forward to "The cat and the 9/11 inside job" though, well unless that theory becomes fact somewhere in the future of course.

Actually, that's a great idea! :D Ninja Cat

Astrixzero
06-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Too bad for you, Mosaddegh was not in charge of Iran during WWII, but Reza Shah Pahlavi who was later disposed after a joint Anglo-Soviet invasion. And a coup without any foresight only created more resentment against the West and the Shah, which came back full circle during the 1979 Revolution.

KiteX3
06-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmm...it is an intriguing subject. I had never heard of it before. I don't know if I'll try out the game, though, before finding some more reliable sources. I fear the game may be severely biased on the issue; it's free, after all, and since they must obviously have a reason to make it, I expect they may have taken some liberties to make it fit the popular anti-US dogma better.

After a skim through Wikipedia, I can sort of see why it would happen, though; after all, both Eisenhower and Churchill had lived through WW2 -- recall how wildly popular a certain individual was, and how quickly he took a devastated, "oppressed"*, and war-torn Germany into a nation again capable of waging war against even the mightiest powers of the world then. I can't blame them for fearing another extremely popular politician.

Or maybe it really was just about the oil, as you guys seem to say. But I doubt it; few things are ever that unambiguous.

*That is, by the unreasonable war compensations imposed by the Treaty of Versailles.

chrischameleon
03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
As your username implies, you really need to stop thinking that things are bad because your country's politician say so. Start thinking for yourself, if you can...

I hope you don't mean this kind of "thinking for yourself". (http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/265/355/376.jpg)

DPW
06-19-2012, 09:36 AM
While the feelings of the game creators are obvious, there's nothing non-factual in the narrative. Events pretty much happened as depicted in the game. You might feel that the UK/US were right in instigating a coup and installing the Shah to replace a democratically elected government, but there's no arguing that it happened.

Personally, I think in hindsight it's pretty clear that the West had a major diplomatic fail with the whole situation and should have negotiated with the elected government. We're still suffering the consequences of our intervention-- and subsequent actions like supporting Iraq against Iran because post-Shah Iran wasn't that fond of us. Would the fundamentalists have acheived such power in modern Iran if they didn't have the spectre of Western intervention to point to? Your guess is as good as mine.

Considering that Harry Truman opposed the coup (you know, the guy who okayed the atom bomb), I don't think that makes anyone an anti-American hippie commie if they feel the same way.

Anyway, beautiful game and very thought provoking. Thanks for putting it on Steam.

limegonk
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Yes, The Cat & The Coup is partisan - but what's wrong with people using media to present an argument? The world would be boring if all works were aiming for neutrality. I don't like the libertarian bias in Fallout 3, but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the game.