PDA

View Full Version : Just a "small" question about some laptops.

Frenza
06-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I am on a lookout for a new "gaming" laptop (I know laptops arent ment for gaming) since my old one is crap, and also because I am tried of moving my desktop pc around.
The laptop is gonna be used for lan partys and gaming when I am at a friend's place, well basically when I am out of the house :)
The games that I play is: BF:BC2, Cod4(The only good one IMO), CS:S, TF2 and crysis 1/2, starcraft 2, GTA:IV, mafia 2 + a bunch of random indie games.

To give an idea of the "power" that I am used to, here are some basic desktop specs about my rig (and yes, i know it wont be the same on a laptop, that is why I am asking the community):
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB
4 GB RAM.

My question is that with one should I choose? The one with a I5 and 4 GB ram or the I7 6 GB ram? I mean, is it necessary to "upgrade" to a I7 for this laptop? Or should I just wait for something better to show up?

The links to the laptops is in dainsh. Just click the "Specifikationer" button for the specs.
The 2 candidates are:

ASUS G53SW CI5 2.3
http://www.dustinhome.dk/pd_5010546080.aspx
7.449 kr = 998,67 EUR = 1414,92 USD

and the ASUS G53SW CI7 2.0
http://www.dustinhome.dk/pd_5010596150.aspx
8.999 kr = 1206,48 EUR = 1709,34 USD

Yup, us danish people tends to get ripped off just like the rest of EU, but what can you do? :p

themires
06-17-2011, 04:55 PM
i would go for the i7 over the i5.

PwrUsr
06-17-2011, 11:18 PM
^ This. I personally don't believe the words "gaming" and "laptop" belong together, but definitely go for the best you can afford.

dosbox
06-18-2011, 05:37 AM
I am on a lookout for a new "gaming" laptop (I know laptops arent ment for gaming) since my old one is crap, and also because I am tried of moving my desktop pc around.
The laptop is gonna be used for lan partys and gaming when I am at a friend's place, well basically when I am out of the house :)
The games that I play is: BF:BC2, Cod4(The only good one IMO), CS:S, TF2 and crysis 1/2, starcraft 2, GTA:IV, mafia 2 + a bunch of random indie games.

Another alternative is to build a small desktop. There are lots of microATX and miniITX cases that can accomodate a real video card.

Frenza
06-18-2011, 05:43 AM
^ This. I personally don't believe the words "gaming" and "laptop" belong together, but definitely go for the best you can afford.

I know laptops arent meant for gaming, but desktops isn't meant for transportation either :) From what I can see the i7 version is worth the upgrade so I think it's gonna be that one.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Its gonna replace my old laptop. I already have a netbook for the work on the go. Thanks for the idea.

wylroberts
06-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't think the words 'laptop' and 'gaming' are mutually exclusive. There are several products advertised as "Gaming Laptops" which can play almost every game on the market maxed out.

My laptop has an i7-720QM and an AMD HD5730M, and plays just about everything other than Crysis 2 maxed. I'm sure there are some game I don't play that it might struggle with (like Metro 2033), but all of the games listed in the original post I can play maxed on this system.

I actually recommend the i5 over the i7 in this case. The i7 has two more cores, but you generally won't use those for gaming. Unless you plan to run virtual machines, the i5's extra clock will be more useful than the i7's extra cores. Plus, you can use the extra money to upgrade to 8GB of memory.

Frenza
06-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Thank you for replying. The thing is that I dont know is how big the performence drop in games will be. Never had a pc with a i5. Might just be me being paranoid but just want to be sure :)

Edit: Nope, the laptop will definitely not be used to run virtual machines on :) That kind of programs goes to the desktop.

Edit 2: Intel Core i5 2410M 2,3 GHz 4GB ram VS. Intel Core i7 2630QM 2 GHz. 6GB ram. That is the only thing that is different on the systems. The ram I can upgrade myself if it becomes necessary. Also, I am saving 1500 kr = 201,07 EUR = 287,84 USD with the i5 so is it worth the upgrade?

wylroberts
06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Both are great systems, but I personally think the i5 is the better package overall. The RAM upgrade may not be necessary, and the i7 2630QM is more of a desktop-replacement processor than a mobile gaming processor. The heat output of i7s in laptops is frightening.

Frenza
06-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Both are great systems, but I personally think the i5 is the better package overall. The RAM upgrade may not be necessary, and the i7 2630QM is more of a desktop-replacement processor than a mobile gaming processor. The heat output of i7s in laptops is frightening.

Gonna order the i5 on monday :cool:.
Thanks for the reply :D

wylroberts
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Great.

Side note about the i7 in my laptop: I have literally used it to reheat coffee by placing the cup next to the exhaust fan and running SuperPI... Haha.