PDA

View Full Version : Solar 2 FAQ

Xzalander
06-18-2011, 03:47 AM
Lets get a Solar 2 FAQ made up from what we know.

1. Starting out

In Solar 2 there are two main things you can do. Grow & Explore or attempt the Missions.

The missions are quite strategic and difficult so we shall cover those after the basics of growth and exploration.

Solar 2 is easy to grasp but harder still to do well in. Many people will struggle to get beyond two star systems (For example the achievement Betrayal).

Controls
WSAD/ARROW KEYS : Movement
CTRL, Q : Absorb Asteroids into Planet/s.
SPACEBAR, E : Absorb smallest planet into Star/s.
ENTER: Accept mission
BACKSPACE: Cancel Mission
P : Show Trajectory Lines (Unmarked control; thanks Excellius)
' : [@ key without holding shift] Show Game Stats (FPS, Asteroid Count, Planet Count etc)
O : Show Orbit Details
M : Music Toggle
F4: Fullscreen Toggle

Simple!

Growing!

Asteroids!

You start off as a small asteroid and to grow in this phase you need to "smash" yourself into other asteroids. After a couple dozen of these merges you will grow into a planet.

Planets!

There are two stages to planet life Pre-Evolution and Post Evolution.

Pre-evolution worlds need to trap asteroids in their orbit and CTRL absorb them. This is the type of planet you grow into. Once you fill the quota you turn into a Evolving planet. All you have to do here is wait.

Post evolution planets welcome you! Your planet has now evolved, you will soon see your inhabitants build starbases with cannons and ships to protect you. To my knowledge you can acquire 4 starbases per planet.

But your inhabitants wont have long to live. Suck up yet more asteroids to turn yourself into a star!

#She's a star~

Congratulations you are now halfway through your growth. You have many choices now, but for the moment we shall continue as we have been doing.

Keep sucking things up. This time planets using SPACEBAR. If you want you can keep those planets in orbit and fatten them up with asteroids before *GLOMP* eating them up.
You will change from a small star, into a medium star then a Large Star, Eventually you will turn into a blackhole.

Try pressing that button Johnny.

This is possibly the easiest and most fun part. Avoid blackholes that are bigger than you and hoover up everything else. Theres -no- limits. Suck up spaceships, asteroids Large stars whatever. They're all on the menu.

Eventually you will crush yourself under your own gravitational force and respawn as....

An Asteroid!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Growth Requirements

A Planet - 20 Mass
A Life Sustaining Planet - 80 Mass
A Small Star - 180 Mass
A Medium Star - 1,500 Mass
A Large Star - 2,000 Mass
A Black Hole - 3,000 Mass
The Big Crunch - 1,000,000 Mass

(Thanks to Mellar for those )
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

2. So you think you're the Super Black Hole Long Legged Mac Daddy, Eh?

You've gotten the hang of growing and evolving your little speck of dirt now I assume?
You've turned into a black hole and think you're the king, the boss, the man even?

You've only just scratched the surface my friend.

Advanced Growth Technique

Section 1: Is what many of us would consider simple growth. However it is slow, time consuming and generally insufficient for the Missions available. So here we shall cover the larger aspects of Solar 2.

By now you should have noticed during your travels that only objects smaller in mass than yourself will enter your orbit. This means the most flexible stage is the Star Phase, where in you can manipulate planets and asteroids.

Depending on how many planets you feed your main star will affect how large it grows and in turn how many can be captured in orbit.

Star orbiting limits:
Small star: 3 planets
Medium Star: 6 planets
Large Star: 8 planets
Dual star or better: 10 planets. (Thanks Excellius)

So as you can see here, your ideal goal should be to reach Large Star or Dual Star (or beyond if you're good enough), however somethings should be noted:

Star Size Effects:

Small Star:
Pull Force: Weak, 1/4 of your sector range (A sector is what fits on your screen at present.)

Small Stars have the weakest pull of them all, however they are very manageable. Using a small star you will not pull in too much asteroid fodder or unwanted planets. A Small star is ideal for setting up planets which you wish to become Stars themselves (to for Dual or better). If you do this fill each planet up o the mass limit bar 2 Mass. This way you can choose when to multi-star.

Medium Stars:
Pull Force: Middling, 1/3rd of your sector range

Medium Stars have a slightly wider range and can pull objects from a larger distance, approximately 1/3rd of your screen.
You are more likely to pull in asteroids with medium stars, but if you settle yourself gently next to an asteroid field the Medium Star is good for automatically coercing the asteroids to fall into orbit around your planets.

Large Stars:
Pull Force: Strong, 2/3rd's of your sector range

Large stars have the strongest range of all the solo stars, you can easily accidentally pull in an entire asteroid field. Be careful not to settle too close to one when farming asteroids. You will likely pull them all in toward your star causing damage to its mass. Ideally you don't want to become a large star until you have some Post Evolution planets to defend the newly acquired indefensible planets you will acquire.

Dual or Better:

Pull Force: Immense, well beyond your sector.

Dual stars can pull planets from almost anywhere on the screen if their mass is small enough, larger star systems can even pull from beyond the edge of the screen. (I have had a Quad Star system pull planets from each side just by sitting in the middle). This does have the unfortunate effect of having to evade -a lot- of asteroids, but by now you should have atleast 3-4 developed planets. And bonus! Stars can be shielded! (See later)

There is one major flaw with Dual or higher stars. They have an irregular pull force. Planets and asteroids tend to zoom into the gap between the two suns, so be prepared to yank yourself to one side if you wish to capture planets in their orbit. It is also much harder to keep the mass of the orbiting planets up as Dual or higher stars pull in a lot of debris.

So as you can see; just by having even a Medium Star with developed planets can really help defend yourself against, UFO's and enemy Inhabitants. This kind of Solar System is essential for most Missions, while some can be completed as just individual objects or even require you to (See Asteroid Missions) they are much, much easier when properly cultivated.

2.1 How to Create Multi-Star Systems
Dual Stars and beyond are created by absorbing asteroids into planets orbiting your own star. Once they reach enough mass, they turn into a star. Because of this you can have multiple star systems. (One of the achievements is actually to get a 6 star system)

If you have a multi-star system and you try to absorb a planet, that planets mass goes ENTIRELY to the star with the smallest mass at the time of absorption. There is no risk turning into a black hole as long as you watch the mass of the smallest. (Do note that large star systems take a LONG time to turn into a black hole, as you effectively have to get every star at the edge of a black hole criteria to get one to tip over).
(Thanks again Excellius)

So that would be 180mass needed per star wanted. So for the maximum limit of 6 Stars you would need to accumulate a total of 1080mass between 6 planets.

It should also be noted that any attempts to create a 7th star is futile at present, as it will join the circular orbit and get crushed by two other stars. This crushing will also damage the two stars involved so it is advised to absorb any planets nearing stardom if you have 6 already. (This is due to a randomly occuring bug that is due to be corrected in the next patch. It is caused by the AI pathing incorrectly calculating the spacing to accomodate the extra stars)

2.1 How to shield your stars
Prio wen't into much more depth than I made note. I honestly thought it was just based on the amount of lifebearing planets but this is much more clarifying.

Okay, here we go. Every planet has a "tech level" represented by the rotating curvy bars just below the planet's surface (not to be confused with the planet's "build queue"). All planets start at level zero (no bars lit up) and max out at level four (all four bars lit up). Planets gain levels as they gain EXP, and planets gain EXP from fighting enemy ships using their friendly ships and their planetary defense lasers.
(It takes very little EXP for a planet to go from level zero to level one, but tons of EXP for a planet to go from level three to level four. Paradoxically, level three planets kick so much butt so fast that they reach level four in the blink of an eye, while level zero planets struggle and scrape like filthy beggars.)

Besides the twirly bars, the most obvious visual indicator of a planet's level is the number of planetary defense lasers: level zero and level one planets can have two lasers, level two and level three planets can build a total of three lasers, and a level four planet tops out at four lasers. There's several other effects of planet level like maximum planetary shield strength, but the bars and the laser turrets are the ones that tell you if you're looking at a high-level planet or not.

So, when do you get star shields? Turns out it's really simple. When:

(The number of evolved planets in your system) + (The combined levels of all your evolved planets) = 6 or more

...you get star shields, effective immediately (though they have to charge up before they actually start to protect you). Conversely, as soon as the above equation stops being true, your star shields are instantly removed. These same rules apply to other stars as well.

This is why you'll never get star shields with one planet (1 planet + 4 levels = 5, too low) and you'll always get star shields with six evolved planets (6 planets + 0 levels = 6, good enough).

But wait, there's more! As you add more life planets and levels beyond the minimum required total of six, your star shields' maximum power gets larger. It's not a huge bonus per added planet/level, but keep in mind that losing/gaining a single level four planet is like losing/gaining five of those shield bonuses all at once.

TL;DR:
* Evolved planets can be tech level zero through four as displayed by the number of lit-up rotating bar things
* A star gets shielded when the number of evolved planets in its system plus the combined tech levels of all those planets is greater than or equal to six
* A star's maximum shield strength increases as it accumulates evolved planets and as the planets' tech levels increase

3. Asteroid & Planet Manipulation

Planets aren't just for turning into starbases or stars you know?
A few tips for making the most of your excess asteroids & planets before blackholing:

- Found a large asteroid field and only have one planet in orbit? Use the planets orbit to smash its asteroid into the ones in the field where possible. All the previous laws still apply. Merge enough and it too will turn into a planet.

- Asteroids can be used as "Sweepers" against enemy ships, catch an asteroid at high speed and it will have a fast orbit; direct that orbiting asteroid into an enemy ship and bam! There goes the ship.

- Planets can be used in a similar manner but better yet, use planets to destroy Mission planets or enemy planets. Or if you're feeling skillful try the next tip.

- You can -steal- planets. Seen a system with an evolved planet you want? Smash your planet against its shield while moving at high speed. Do it fast enough and it will leave the orbit it was in, keep following it and it will join your orbit. Even if you lose an undeveloped planet, this is worth it if the one you steal is near stardom.
Also planets keep their kill stats when they start orbiting a new star. (Thanks, InfyD)

On this same note; use planets on Missions where you need to destroy a Solar System. Simply smash a planet or two on its sun/s and then let your Ships finish it off for a quick ending.

- Do you have an awkward central planet on a close orbit? Can't get enough asteroids near it? Bait an asteroid with an external planet, and then quickly accelerate past the asteroid. It should sling itself around the external planet into the orbit of your sun. Then move the sun so that the chosen planet and asteroid meet. Its tricky, but a planet that close to the sun being developed will last almost forever.

Xzalander
06-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Reserve Post:

Section 2 merged up to the main post.

Time to play some more to rejog my memory.
If anyone has done any of the missions; it would be a great help. I have done the Best Friend (Asteroid one) and the Planet Security Card only so lots of info needed there!

Mellar
06-18-2011, 04:18 AM
A good start on the FAQ!

For the growth requirements do you mean mass?

If so then yes, to go from an asteroid to a planet is 20 mass.

EDIT: Also, to get from a planetoid phase to a life sustaining planetoid phase it takes 51 mass. As soon as I became a planet I had 29 mass and as soon as I could support life I was at 80.

Corindian
06-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Can't remember the other ones but from small star to medium star is a 1500 mass requirement :D
Looking good so far though :)

Mellar
06-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Ok, I've played the game through and have taken note of how much it takes to advance.

To get to:

A Planet - 20 Mass
A Life Sustaining Planet - 80 Mass
A Small Star - 180 Mass
A Medium Star - 1,500 Mass
A Large Star - 2,000 Mass
A Black Hole - 3,000 Mass
The Big Crunch - 1,000,000 Mass

Excellius
06-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Some more pointers for the FAQ:
- Once you are a star you can grow your orbiting planets in the same manner as your own planet. Those planets can equally be turned into stars.

Star orbiting limits:
Small star: 3 planets
Medium Star: 6 planets
Large Star: 8 planets
Dual star or better: 10 planets.

Keys:
There is one Non-listed key that happends to have a function. If you press the P key you will see the trajectory of the various objects on the screen.

Mellar
06-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Keys:
There is one Non-listed key that happends to have a function. If you press the P key you will see the trajectory of the various objects on the screen.

That's awesome! I've got to try that out at some point! :D

EDIT: I was just hammering every key to see what happens and I have found a few cool things.

' - Brings up a statistic type screen displaying the FPS, asteroid count, planet count etc.

M - Stops and starts the music.

O - Displays the distance and orbiting path of each satellite you have.

E - Also absorbs everything orbiting you.

Murudai
06-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Oh my, you're finding all my little debug commands :D I left them in the final version because they were fun to play with.

Q and E are un-documented alternates to absorb smallest and absorb all asteroids.

Also. F4 toggles fullscreen/windowed mode (helpful if you want to quit without saving your system because you smashed it). And F8 toggles between 2 different frame rate management functions (you can see which is active with the debug panel up), although you shouldn't need to tweak that as the default one I've found is by far the best on the vast majority of systems.

rigaudio
06-18-2011, 08:07 AM
As the composer and sound effect designer, my advice is that you NEVER press 'M' ;)

Xzalander
06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
As the composer and sound effect designer, my advice is that you NEVER press 'M' ;)

^^ :p

wyrdfate
06-18-2011, 12:34 PM

the music has a nice epic big scale feel.. much like a universe scale.

:D

Mellar
06-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Don't worry, as soon as I pressed the button I screamed and hammered every key until the music came back. It was a scary few seconds!

wyrdfate
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM
the assassin mission as an asteroid.

i found it to be a but hard, till i tried to tackle the problem as if i was trying to grow in to a planet.

the issue is that the missile frigates, keep dodging as well as trying to kill you with missiles.

so get up to speed and follow the target arrows, as you zip about looping about the ship, sooner or later you will hit it. the added bonuses is the missile's the ship fires, cant keep up with you.

hope that helps.

Soloch
06-18-2011, 01:14 PM
awesome, thanks!

InfyD
06-18-2011, 01:55 PM
it's only a minor thing, but the white aliens are aliens who lost their home system - you can see them switch if you destroy a lone life planet (or if you absorb all your life-bearing planets as a star). I don't think it makes any significant difference in game terms, unless it's somehow involved in a mission I haven't tried/reached.

Stoned-Turtle
06-18-2011, 02:42 PM
I've done all the missions, if people are stuck on a specific one I can offer my advice, but I'm not going to write out my strategy to all of them.

Excellius
06-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Two more things that may be worth mentioning:
- It seems that there isn't an explicit mention on how to grow dual or larger stars, so it may be worth incorporating that they are created by absorbing asteroids into planets orbiting your own star. Once they reach enough mass, they turn into a star. Because of this you can have multiple star systems. (One of the achievements is actually to get a 6 star system)
- If you have a multi-star system and you try to absorb a planet, that planets mass goes ENTIRELY to the star with the smallest mass at the time of absorption. There is no risk turning into a black hole as long as you watch the mass of the smallest. (Do note that large star systems take a LONG time to turn into a black hole, as you effectively have to get every star at the edge of a black hole criteria to get one to tip over).

InfyD
06-18-2011, 07:51 PM
- You can -steal- planets. Seen a system with an evolved planet you want? Smash your planet against its shield while moving at high speed. Do it fast enough and it will leave the orbit it was in, keep following it and it will join your orbit. Even if you lose an undeveloped planet, this is worth it if the one you steal is near stardom.
On this same note; use planets on Missions where you need to destroy a Solar System. Simply smash a planet or two on its sun/s and then let your Ships finish it off for a quick ending.

less obviously, planets keep their kill stats when they start orbiting a new star.

wyrdfate
06-19-2011, 12:02 AM
it's only a minor thing, but the white aliens are aliens who lost their home system - you can see them switch if you destroy a lone life planet (or if you absorb all your life-bearing planets as a star). I don't think it makes any significant difference in game terms, unless it's somehow involved in a mission I haven't tried/reached.

i noticed the same thing.

red = life forms who still have a planet, but not under your control.
green = life forms with a plant, but who's planet in under your control.
white = life forms that have no home planet.

Indrek
06-19-2011, 03:03 AM
A question about the hotkeys - are they mapped to the physical locations of the keys on a US ANSI keyboard layout? I'm asking because I use an ISO layout (Estonian, specifically), and the non-letter hotkeys are completely different. For instance, the and - keys cycle between the objects in my system, shows debug information and ' toggles the interface.

Also, will we get the ability to change the hotkeys?

Xzalander
06-19-2011, 03:10 AM
A question about the hotkeys - are they mapped to the physical locations of the keys on a US ANSI keyboard layout? I'm asking because I use an ISO layout (Estonian, specifically), and the non-letter hotkeys are completely different. For instance, the and - keys cycle between the objects in my system, shows debug information and ' toggles the interface.

Also, will we get the ability to change the hotkeys?

This has been pointed out to Murudai already. He has admitted it was an oversight and is working to correct it for Non-UK keyboard layouts.

Indrek
06-19-2011, 03:11 AM
This has been pointed out to Murudai already. He has admitted it was an oversight and is working to correct it for Non-UK keyboard layouts.
Thanks for the info!

Murudai
06-19-2011, 03:19 AM
I'll be releasing a patch in a couple days, it'll include '123' and 'YUI' as alternate key configurations for interface and cycling through the interface.

KalashNK
06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Is there a way to avoid ships shoot at everything? (asteroids, for example)
Thanks

Indrek
06-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Is there a way to avoid ships shoot at everything? (asteroids, for example)
Thanks
The ships should ignore asteroids unless one of them crashes into any of your stars or planets, at which point they'll try to blow up all asteroids in the immediate vicinity. With some practice, you should be able to manoeuvre around the asteroids to either avoid them or hook them to your planets, whichever your goal may be.

The ships will try to blow up any planets, though, and possibly also asteroids in orbit around them. I don't know of any way to disable that.

InfyD
06-19-2011, 01:00 PM
i noticed the same thing.

red = life forms who still have a planet, but not under your control.
green = life forms with a plant, but who's planet in under your control.
white = life forms that have no home planet.

adding to that - the game keeps track of which individual planet in your system every ship was constructed on; eating an inhabited planet will switch a bunch of your fleet to nomad status.

(if you're going for the Supremacy achievement, this can be an easy way of getting a few extra kills for your main planet - providing you always check it's the biggest first!)

likewise, if a planet of yours is knocked out of your system by a collision, all its ships will immediately turn hostile.

InfyD
06-19-2011, 01:01 PM
The ships should ignore asteroids unless one of them crashes into any of your stars or planets.
pretty sure they only care about inhabited planets, and not stars or small planets.

Indrek
06-19-2011, 01:10 PM
pretty sure they only care about inhabited planets, and not stars or small planets.
You're right, having an asteroid crash into a star or small planet doesn't seem to bother them.

ni1
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
If you run Solar2.exe through VS using .NET Reflector, you can flip on God mode w/o completing any missions.

Dachannien
06-19-2011, 01:39 PM
The FAQ is in error - you can have a star system with more than six stars. I'm up to 9 right now.

Excellius
06-19-2011, 01:50 PM
The FAQ is in error - you can have a star system with more than six stars. I'm up to 9 right now.

See this thread. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1936401) It is possible to have more then 6, but sometimes this causes the game to act up, which smashed your stars into each other. It doesn't always occur apparently, but either way it is getting fixed. :)

Corindian
06-20-2011, 10:34 AM
A tip that I have found through personal experience. Steamrolling enemy ships is so much easier than waiting for your own to do the job while the enemy are pewpewing your outer planets. Especially helpful for the aliens mission.

Bit of a cheat though :P

Excellius
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I think that a few parts of my post on another thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22991269&postcount=5) may be worth including. Also, does anyone have a clue if the assumptions i made in regards to experience are correct? I tried to remeasure them but i am still not certain.

Prio
06-20-2011, 04:47 PM
The FAQ claims that you need four shielded planets to get star shields.

Well, most people probably already know this, but...

As few as two planets can be enough. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/siggo/screenshot/595814531193169513?tab=public)

But four (or even five) evolved and shielded planets aren't necessarily enough. (http://steamcommunity.com/id/siggo/screenshot/595814531193436827/?)

The appearance of star shields appears to depend on a combination of two things:
- Your total evolved planets
- The combined Exp of your evolved planets
Your total planets play a big part, though. If you have only one evolved planet, you will (afaik) never ever get star shields, no matter how awesome that one planet is. On the other hand, if you have six evolved planets, you get star shields automatically, no matter how noobish and sucky those planets are. Even if you've only got five evolved planets, though, you'll need less fightin' and killin' to get star shields than you'd need at two planets.

I'll figure out some equation or whatever later, it seems to rely on the "levels" of your planets (those curved rotating bar thingies inside the planets).

Prio
06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Herp derp, I have no life.

Okay, here we go. Every planet has a "tech level" represented by the rotating curvy bars just below the planet's surface (not to be confused with the planet's "build queue"). All planets start at level zero (no bars lit up) and max out at level four (all four bars lit up). Planets gain levels as they gain EXP, and planets gain EXP from fighting enemy ships using their friendly ships and their planetary defense lasers.
(It takes very little EXP for a planet to go from level zero to level one, but tons of EXP for a planet to go from level three to level four. Paradoxically, level three planets kick so much butt so fast that they reach level four in the blink of an eye, while level zero planets struggle and scrape like filthy beggars.)

Besides the twirly bars, the most obvious visual indicator of a planet's level is the number of planetary defense lasers: level zero and level one planets can have two lasers, level two and level three planets can build a total of three lasers, and a level four planet tops out at four lasers. There's several other effects of planet level like maximum planetary shield strength, but the bars and the laser turrets are the ones that tell you if you're looking at a high-level planet or not.

So, when do you get star shields? Turns out it's really simple. When:

(The number of evolved planets in your system) + (The combined levels of all your evolved planets) = 6 or more

...you get star shields, effective immediately (though they have to charge up before they actually start to protect you). Conversely, as soon as the above equation stops being true, your star shields are instantly removed. These same rules apply to other stars as well.

This is why you'll never get star shields with one planet (1 planet + 4 levels = 5, too low) and you'll always get star shields with six evolved planets (6 planets + 0 levels = 6, good enough).

But wait, there's more! As you add more life planets and levels beyond the minimum required total of six, your star shields' maximum power gets larger. It's not a huge bonus per added planet/level, but keep in mind that losing/gaining a single level four planet is like losing/gaining five of those shield bonuses all at once.

TL;DR:
* Evolved planets can be tech level zero through four as displayed by the number of lit-up rotating bar things
* A star gets shielded when the number of evolved planets in its system plus the combined tech levels of all those planets is greater than or equal to six
* A star's maximum shield strength increases as it accumulates evolved planets and as the planets' tech levels increase

Indrek
06-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice work Prio, that's very informative. Should definitely go in the first post.

JConfide
06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
It should also be noted that any attempts to create a 7th star is futile at present, as it will join the circular orbit and get crushed by two other stars. This crushing will also damage the two stars involved so it is advised to absorb any planets nearing stardom if you have 6 already. (This is due to a randomly occuring bug that is due to be corrected in the next patch. It is caused by the AI pathing incorrectly calculating the spacing to accomodate the extra stars)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/john_confide/screenshot/577800132701074989

I made a 14 star system. The process is quite simple: gather 10 planets, then feed the last one until you nearly reach the limit to form a new star. It is easier to feed the last one because gravity will pull asteroids faster and faster as you make more stars, and the orbit of the 10th planet is far enough to grab asteroids with ease. When near the limit to form the star, absorb the other 9 planets, save your system, and finaly feed the last planet to make it a star. If it crashed, reload and retry: you will succeed more often than one would imagine.

I guess that it is sometimes tricky because the stars are managed as a list, and the star is sent to a specific position (first or last) rather than inserted between the two nearest stars.

Anyway, good luck beating me! (No god option used in the process).

Excellius
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Just a quick FYI:

I have been playing around a bit with planetary life levels, and by now i am sure that:

- Planets produce ships faster at a higher level
- Planets can support more ships at a higher level (3 at first, 6 at max experience, if i counted correctly!).
- Large ships take longer to produce then small ones (Obvious, but still..)
- Higher level shields are MUCH stronger. A new unexperienced planet was gone in two or so missile hits, whereas a maxed could shrug of 5 missiles without losing shields. (Right after eachother, with no regen in between).
- Planetary lasers are more numerous, and fire MUCH faster at higher levels.

Especially the high production speed is noticeable. A new planet can barely hold its own against a few ships, while a level 4 can overwhelm lower level planets quick impressively.

And even more random thingies:
- Neutron stars have a maximum of 4 planets surrounding them. Neutron stars in a multi-star system count as a multi star system (So 2 neutron stars equals 10 planets as usual)

Xzalander
06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
http://steamcommunity.com/id/john_confide/screenshot/577800132701074989

I made a 14 star system. The process is quite simple: gather 10 planets, then feed the last one until you nearly reach the limit to form a new star. It is easier to feed the last one because gravity will pull asteroids faster and faster as you make more stars, and the orbit of the 10th planet is far enough to grab asteroids with ease. When near the limit to form the star, absorb the other 9 planets, save your system, and finaly feed the last planet to make it a star. If it crashed, reload and retry: you will succeed more often than one would imagine.

I guess that it is sometimes tricky because the stars are managed as a list, and the star is sent to a specific position (first or last) rather than inserted between the two nearest stars.

Anyway, good luck beating me! (No god option used in the process).

See this thread. (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1936401) It is possible to have more then 6, but sometimes this causes the game to act up, which smashed your stars into each other. It doesn't always occur apparently, but either way it is getting fixed. :)

Its a technical issue, not an ability issue. However having posted this it may have been updated and thus fixed already.

fizyxnrd
06-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't know if this is coincidence or design.
In trying to build massive star systems, it helps to get all the stars to the same size before adding new stars. If you have a large system (say 10 large stars) and add a new star, that star will be small. If you add another new star without growing the 11th up to large size, it is much more likely to get squished rather than make a 12th star. I don't know if it is intentional, but I have observed on more than 10 occasions that systems with highly varying star sizes are less stable to growth than uniform systems.

Julveyo
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Is there any kind of manual which explaining mission icons? Which is what?

They are so small. I've barely able to see the difference between them.
It's just thought because for different missions you need different pack of system and planets (sometimes naked, sometimes full armed).

Indrek
07-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Is there any kind of manual which explaining mission icons? Which is what?
Pause the game (by hitting Esc) and go to the Mission Progress menu, there you can see all the mission types and their respective icons.

Bonez0r
07-02-2011, 05:15 PM
You might want to remove or edit the spoiler at the end of section 1, just above growth requirements. It could ruin the surprise for people.

Also i didn't see any mention of neutron stars. I'm guessing they were added in a recent update?

Indrek
07-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Also i didn't see any mention of neutron stars. I'm guessing they were added in a recent update?
Correct. Neutron stars weren't in the original game that the FAQ is based on, they were added in a later update.

rigaudio
07-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey guys, it's NOT totally impossible to get the Planetary Soloist achievement! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02FqH4fofN4

Sylenall
07-11-2011, 02:15 AM
What do neutron stars do differently?

Zanmor
07-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Neutron stars have more mass and therefore do more damage. However, they also are more fragile and take less to destroy. Neutron stars really need some evolved planets to give them a shield, but as long as you have that shield up then you can really destroy things.

RivitingOne
07-18-2013, 01:26 AM
I see a few other people have mentioned it but I'd also like to report that using v 1.10 I've managed to get up to a 16 neutron star system without having any stars get crushed by the ones currently in system. I'm assuming that bug/glitch/feature has been fixed/changed. Might want to update the main post.