PDA

View Full Version : Hunted The Demon's Forge = Win

Archlight
06-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I've seen and read so many reviews claiming they dislike this game for one reason or another, some say it's a terrible port while others say it's just a horrible game in general, I've decided to write my own review to support this game through my honest opinion. There are problems with Hunted on console and PC alike and I shall list them here along with the good things that come with this gem. This is a classic Hack & Slash game, and people are burning it for what makes a Hack & Slasher. Burning it for being what it is to it's genre is not a proper cause nor will I list it's "Repetitiveness" here, learn the ♥♥♥♥ing genre's already kids.

Pro's-
Well Portrayed character & interaction.
Great story
Beautifully rendered characters and expressions
Challenging Combat
Puzzles/Riddles
Collectable's
List of Talents/Skills
Good Ranged and Melee combat system
Voice acting is brilliantly done
Enviroments are believable and well followed (nothing looks out of place)
Amazing Co-op action (bringing a friend changes the experience to be even greater)
Long Chapters (sometimes too long, but a lot of games are far too short these days)

Con's-
Enviromental Bugs (sometimes players or AI get stuck)
Data deletion glitches (These have been reported at random)
Many of the same Enemies, only reused and reskinned
Audio Bugs (The Audio can cut out during a cutscene causing you to reload if you wish to hear what you missed)
Enemies can be misplaced, as in lost. (certain spells cause enemies to fall through the floor.)
Problems with the Multiplayer (some have reported there being issue connecting with a friend.)

Some say this game is a Gears of Warcraft game, medieval meets the Gears franchise, but is that such a big deal? I love Gears of War and have played both Gears 1 & 2 countless times, playing Hunted is a refreshing course in the type of game style it follows and Gears of War held just as much glitches as this game did at launch, and some even still remain there.

-------------------------------------------
Summary-

It's simple, Hunted The Demon's Forge is a great and refreshing game that, if patched? would make an amazing Co-op experience that it clearly already is. Ton's of Trolls have flamed and burned this game, when some of what they say is true, just not nearly as bad as they say it is, Buy this game if you have a friend that is into Medieval Fantasy, it is a grand adventure and it will not disappoint.

Teddy-Chan
06-18-2011, 09:09 AM
I've seen and read so many reviews claiming they dislike this game for one reason or another, some say it's a terrible port while others say it's just a horrible game in general, I've decided to write my own review to support this game through my honest opinion. There are problems with Hunted on console and PC alike and I shall list them here along with the good things that come with this gem. This is a classic Hack & Slash game, and people are burning it for what makes a Hack & Slasher. Burning it for being what it is to it's genre is not a proper cause nor will I list it's "Repetitiveness" here, learn the ♥♥♥♥ing genre's already kids.

Pro's-
Well Portrayed character & interaction.
Great story
Beautifully rendered characters and expression
Challenging Combat
Puzzles/Riddles
Collectable's
List of Talents/Skills
Good Ranged and Melee combat system
Voice acting is brilliantly done
Enviroments are believable and well followed, nothing looks out of place
Amazing Co-op action, bringing a friend changes the experience to be even greater
Long Chapters (sometimes too long, but a lot of games are far too short these days)

Con's-
Enviromental Bugs (sometimes players or AI get stuck)
Data deletion glitches (These have been reported at random)
Many of the same Enemies, only reused and reskinned
Audio Bugs (The Audio can cut out during a cutscene causing you to reload if you wish to hear what you missed)
Enemies can be misplaced, as in lost. (certain spells cause enemies to fall through the floor.)

Some say this game is a Gears of Warcraft game, medieval meets the Gears franchise, but is that such a big deal? I love Gears of War and have played both Gears 1 & 2 countless times, playing Hunted is a refreshing course in the type of game style it follows and Gears of War held just as much glitches as this game.

-------------------------------------------
Summary-

It's simple, Hunted The Demon's Forge is a great and refreshing game that, if patched? would make an amazing Co-op experience that it clearly already is. Ton's of Trolls have flamed and burned this game, when some of what they say is true? but not nearly as bad as they say it is, Buy this game if you have a friend that is into Medieval Fantasy, it is a grand adventure and it will not disappoint.
I agree on most points, the game is beautiful by any standard, and personally the gameplay is really rewarding. Ofcourse in this kind of game your going to get that repetitive feeling. Think Diablo, but in full 3d, and Gears of War controls. Mostly its a prettier version of a dungeon crawler from the 90s, which is OK.

There ARE a fair amount of issues though. Clipping, random audio drops. Personally I've had my character deleted twice, once after I had just beaten 4.6, so of course I'm replaying now. The voice acting is way above average, with the beautiful Laura Bailey just STEALING the show as I'lara. As far as the story being great, it's sparse, but rightly so. After all you are playing as two mercenaries, not heros. Your character's do not start out directly involved in any sort of plot. You are out to make a profit, and in your attempt to do so, get pulled INTO the plot. It does a good job of making you feel like your the characters, learning the truth as they do. There's no massive exposition in the beginning that lays it all out.

Gameplay itself is a ton of fun. There's a real dynamic going on in the background. No character outshines one another because no character could SURVIVE without the other. I'lara, especially early on, dominates mostly everything, but very quickly Caddoc takes charge of the combat dynamic. Shielded and armored foes show up en mass and without Caddoc there to handle them, whilst I'lara bats clean up on the archers, NOONE would survive. The character's compliment one another very well. Of course there will be those moments where you feel like your being outshone, and moments when you'll feel like a god, but for the most part there's an even keel going on. There are also some decent skills to be learned, that change the combat dynamic alot, BUT...there are ones you will ALWAYS get and ones you'll NEVER get. For each character you will ALWAYS get all 3 combat abilities, and ONE spell. On top of that, only two of the spells are worth having at all. Sigil is absolutely worthless, and should be avoided by all. On top of THAT even, the early level spells are almost never helpful. Dragons breath is especially guilty of this. It only hits one enemy, does moderate damage, and takes more mana that you could be using with your much more useful combat skills.

This is going on forever, but I wanna talk about character interaction for a bit as well. It's really quite amazing, and can be subtle. You really feel like there's a bond, a deeper relationship that were not shown. Not one of love but of trust and companionship. It's clear that I'lara and Caddoc have been doing this for awhile, and are very comfortable around one another.

I'll wrap it up here. Ofcourse there are issues. I find almost every game running on UE3 has similar issues, even the much lauded Gears. But Hunted is a gem, a hidden gem. It's really not getting a fair shake. It's dark fantasy done RIGHT. The story is told really well, slowly, but in the context of the world, it's done right. On top of that, I've not has as much fun in a coop game since Gear's 2. Sorry for the wall o' text guys...

Blacksatellite
06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
It's always a load off when your character rubs in the kill score so that you don't have to ruin the friendship with the guy you have to see on a day to day basis yourself.

It's another load off when their character handles the comeback.

Plus an absolute relief when the entire point is to survive and move forward, regardless of that kill score. With two drastically different characters, styles, and strengths it doesn't come down to games like Left4Dead where the freaky shooter pro carries the ENTIRE game from start to finish like they didn't need 3 other players.

bubbakush
07-03-2011, 05:00 AM
I've also seen way too many negative reviews on this game when its certainly better then Fable 3 and the new Dungeon Siege. I haven't finished it yet (chap 4) but holy crap its really damn good so GET IT. The Witcher 2 and this game get my vote.

The only things I don't care for is where the hell the save points save is very unclear in co-op. Sometimes we wind up repeating a section but its usually not that much. That's really my only complaint.

I'd also like to point out that even where your just moving from one scene to another alot of detail is put in between those "dead-air" sections. Smooth transitions all over.

iambackagain
07-03-2011, 06:13 AM
I just wanted to correct something you said in part of your reply:
The only things I don't care for is where the hell the save points save is very unclear in co-op. Sometimes we wind up repeating a section but its usually not that much. That's really my only complaint.

The problem with that statment is that Co-Op doesn't work. you can't ever connect anyone using any method listed anywhere on the interne, Hamachi/Tunngle/Gamespy, and port forwarding 7777 or the other 7-8 ports DO NOT WORK AT ALL.

In addition to all that, I've been on the phone with both Inxile and Bethesda, and neither company knows how to get coop to work either.

I've had this game since launch, and never once have I been able to connect to anyone, anywhere, using any method.

As of the games release this is a complete lie:
Amazing Co-op action (bringing a friend changes the experience to be even greater)

50000000000000000000000 million people all can say they used coop, even people in Bethesda and Inxile can say it, I will still call every single opne of them liars because it's easy to say something works.

This actually comes down to me standing next to someone in a game...If that cannot happen (Which so far it never has) doesn't matter who says they used coop or how many people sya it, the bottom line is instead of coming on here shoveling lip service, have me stand next to someone in a game and play with them, before I will retract that staement.

bubbakush
07-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I just wanted to correct something you said in part of your reply:

The problem with that statment is that Co-Op doesn't work. you can't ever connect anyone using any method listed anywhere on the interne, Hamachi/Tunngle/Gamespy, and port forwarding 7777 or the other 7-8 ports DO NOT WORK AT ALL.

In addition to all that, I've been on the phone with both Inxile and Bethesda, and neither company knows how to get coop to work either.

I've had this game since launch, and never once have I been able to connect to anyone, anywhere, using any method.

As of the games release this is a complete lie:

50000000000000000000000 million people all can say they used coop, even people in Bethesda and Inxile can say it, I will still call every single opne of them liars because it's easy to say something works.

This actually comes down to me standing next to someone in a game...If that cannot happen (Which so far it never has) doesn't matter who says they used coop or how many people sya it, the bottom line is instead of coming on here shoveling lip service, have me stand next to someone in a game and play with them, before I will retract that staement.

If you have a router chances are yeah you're going to have trouble from what I've been reading. If you have a friend that can host that doesn't have one that's your best bet. I couldn't connect to my friend because he had one and we couldn't figure it out either so I just hosted and it was fine. I know its a ♥♥♥♥ solution but seems to be the only one. =\

As far as getting it to work through hamachi? Well in the past anyway some versions worked for us some versions didn't. We generally had luck with older versions trying to play games. Then you had to do stupid tricks like opening the game and THEN starting hamachi...sometimes enabling your internet then disabling..crap like that we've had to go through for other games.

Also hamachi doesn't play well with windows firewall from what I remember so it has to be off.

Frankie-Z
07-06-2011, 01:45 PM
typical of a low budget port to PC is that they use Gamespy for the online connection as a low cost solution for online gaming , problem is Gamespy is very buggy and outdated and doesn't look like it will improve ever, had theses same problems since Dungeon siege 1 which uses game spy ..
which is why Gas Powered Games made there own online connection server GPG.net.
Unreal tournament 3 online works fine so it only leaves Gamespy game server to blame

but on the whole I never bothered to find a fix as I stopped playing the game because it's boring and all around bad game , I click on the forums button from time to time to see how quick this forum turns into a graveyard

Xenofreak
07-11-2011, 09:02 PM
I was able to host co-op with my friend just fine. The first playthrough was pretty damn fun, but then we went back to play on old school, and suddenly we were dying to ♥♥♥♥ty programming. ♥♥♥♥ty enemy hitboxes, arrows going straight through an enemies head, arrows not firing in the direction anywhere near what the reticule indicates. If you want a hack and slash/archery game where you just kill ♥♥♥♥, it's fairly fun on lower settings where the buggy gameplay doesn't constantly kill you and waste your time. The second you start dieing repeatedly because of ♥♥♥♥ty hitboxes or arrow trajectories, or melee hits simply not registering, it turns into a ♥♥♥♥fest.