PDA

View Full Version : Bully is fantastic, don't buy the negativity

BenWah
06-18-2011, 03:31 PM
OK, I just finished Bully again, first time in a few years.

It's a fantastic game. Great mini games, challenges, lots of exploring and adventure. Tremendous amount of fun content. Great humor, fun races.
Anyone who likes GTA san andreas, vice city, probably like this.

What about the complaints regarding the interface?

I played with keyboard and mouse, for the most part didn't have a problem at all.

The sole exception you need to watch is "The Shop", one of many classes you can take. In this challenge you need to perform the action shown immediately and continuously while it is displayed. It is unforgiving in that you must start within a split second of the action displayed. If it tells you to move the mouse counterclockwise, you have to start it right away and keep doing it as long as it is displayed.

Anyway, don't believe the negativity, try the game, you will be so glad you did.

You can change the screen resolution and antialiasing level, make sure you do.

Wasted
06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
The game itself is really awesome, passed it a few times on the PS2. But that doesn't stop the PC version from being a terrible port. It is great that the game runs fine for you but that is just not the case for many people. I would suggest others to try this game but avoid the PC version.

jdenm8
07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I agree, Bully is a great game as long as you don't stuff with stuff that shouldn't be stuffed with, like the controls which usually do more than it says it does (like most Console controls).

Then there's that game-killing bug during 'Game Day', though you do eventually get a run where the bug isn't triggered.

It was great to play through the game again, it ran awesome on my low-end laptop compared to most other console-ported garbage, though it seemed shorter than I remembered and most of the 'additional' missions are tacked on at the end and can be accomplished after the end of the story or have a fundamental weakness, like the one where you beat the living daylights out of those postboxes (you know the one). The bat's only invunerable while you're on the bike and if some preppy pulls you off, it's practically wait until the timer runs out cause you can't do anything else.

I did enjoy kicking the crap out of the Santa stand though. I shouldn't enjoy it, but I did :D

freibooter
07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't see that many people actually complaining about the game itself. It's the abysmal quality of the PC port that people have problems with.

I'm glad it works for you, but there are a lot of people that can't run the game properly.

eth1cks
07-04-2011, 06:48 PM
The game itself is really awesome, passed it a few times on the PS2. But that doesn't stop the PC version from being a terrible port. It is great that the game runs fine for you but that is just not the case for many people. I would suggest others to try this game but avoid the PC version.

there is an update that completely fixed all technical problems with bully on the PC. It both runs and looks better assuming you have a pc that is not 20 years old.

freibooter
07-05-2011, 04:54 AM
there is an update that completely fixed all technical problems with bully on the PC.
It fixes one or two of the most serious problems, but completely fixed all technical problems is probably the biggest overstatement I have read all week.

Rautapalli
07-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Well I just bought it and apparently it doesn't even work on Windows 7, it crashes every time after the intro cinematic.

What a steal that was, glad I didn't buy into the negativity :)

Rancor26
07-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Well I just bought it and apparently it doesn't even work on Windows 7, it crashes every time after the intro cinematic.

What a steal that was, glad I didn't buy into the negativity :)

Propably has nothing to do with Windows 7... it should work with vista and if it works with vista it propably also works on 7.

MarkG
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Which is clearly not true because I run it on Windows 7 x64.

However, it is a crappy port and the lousy controls make many parts of the game tedious at best. Which is a shame, because the parts that do work are fun.

spyrochaete
07-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Fun game in an original setting, amusing dialogue, and great soundtrack. This game is very much worth your money.

Game is perfectly stable for me in Win7 x64 and I've finished the game twice.

Ave07
07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
If you like any Rockstar games GTA, Red Dead Redemption, and LA Noire this game is perfect for you!

BenWah
07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I also ran this game fine on 64 bit windows 7.

gentlefury
07-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I played thru some of it on the wii but I couldn't continue with the wii's grainey and blockey SD graphics....I grabbed this since it was so cheap, hoping it will be better.

HateSolstice
07-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Is there no way to get a usb controller to work with the game?

Verwandlung
07-11-2011, 04:23 AM
I play with a usb xbox 360 controller, works perfect.

I also agree with the OP, this is a brilliant game. For what it's worth I didn't encounter any problems playing this game on pc with the last patch.

BenWah
07-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm just finishing up GTA IV now.

I guess it's on to liberty stories expansion for GTA IV, but I wish Bully had an expansion because I had way more fun with Bully than GTA IV.

Thought San Andreas and Vice City were also better than GTA IV. All it offers is better graphics, but has much worse gameplay. Sigh

serieus1
07-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I haven't finished the game, heck I'm only 6% of the way through it. But so far, I've enjoyed what I've played. The only down part to the it is the controls and the fighting. The controls I've gotten used to, but the fighting is really boring and straight forward. Even the Russel Boss mission "Help Gary" was super easy.

My only issue I've had so far was with that same mission "Help Gary" where I was supposed to hit a broom stick so it would fall and flip a switch. I didn't have the ability to aim at the broomstick and Gary tells me to use my slingshot. Can't use your slingshot without aiming at something. So I picked up a brick, but again unable to aim at anything other than Gary. Luckily you can throw a brick without aiming, unlike the slingshot, and I got the broomstick to fall.

Also, in that same area, the basement, was the only place where suddenly my FPS took a dive. Everywhere else in the game though I've been seeing great frame rates and great graphics, for its time.

Really fun game so far, glad I got it for $2.50 during a sale.

spyrochaete
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I haven't finished the game, heck I'm only 6% of the way through it. But so far, I've enjoyed what I've played. The only down part to the it is the controls and the fighting. The controls I've gotten used to, but the fighting is really boring and straight forward. Even the Russel Boss mission "Help Gary" was super easy.

You learn more moves which makes the combat a little richer, plus you get a good selection of weapons each with its own advantages. Rockstar have never been the best at kicking and punching in their games though.

serieus1
08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Well I just finished the game......and I have to say, I got hooked eventually. This game was witty in its dialogue, though not very intriguing when it came to the storyline as what happens is pretty much expected.

I loved the dialogue for the entire game though, it was really comical, especially when you caught what other people were saying when you walked/ran past them.

The controls were wonky pretty much throughout the game. Even after beating the game, the controls weren't controllable in a very smooth fashion. Sometimes it was the camera's fault and other times it was just the strange combinations needed to succeed the missions (like punching and riding bikes at the same time).

I think that in the long run the experience may have been too long, almost stretched out, but I never truly bored of doing any of the missions, as long as I was progressing towards the end of the story.

Overall I finished about 70% of the entire game, meaning I didn't beat all the bike races, or didn't finish all of my classes (photo and shop), or finish all of the odd jobs. Worth getting it for 5 bucks or less for sure, I got it for $2.50 and feel I got a great game for its price.

BenWah
11-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Bump for ye awesome 75% off steam sale

ThanatoZ
11-30-2011, 07:53 PM
The game is ok. Pretty good. I had several hours of good fun. At the current price ($3.74?) it's worth it. The criticisms are justified - somewhat clunky controls, a few bugs, repetitive combat... But for me at least, there was still a certain charm. It's a fun game, obscured by a so-so port, but lacking the depth you might expect from a higher-priced title.

slaystench
12-01-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm playing with a 360 controller, and scrolling through the menu with the controller is annoying. pressing any direction can randomly jump down several lines, etc. ugh I haven't played much of the game yet, so I hope the 360 controller works better while playing.

D4NN13L
12-01-2011, 09:25 AM
It doesn't have Steam achievements?

Meh... that could be a nice hook to buy a old game...
Almost buy it, but this game doesn't have achievements :(

hughesyboozy
12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
yea because getting achievements is important. I just got the game and its pretty good... no problems at all and using a 360 controller the controls are fine.

Neil_LCFC
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Been playing it a bit after buying it in the sale. Seems to work fine on win7 64 with a 360 controller. Enjoying it so far wel worth the price of a beer.

D4NN13L
12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Achievements are always welcome and in a game like Bully even more!

This is a nice game but why dont make it better whith that "detail"?

hughesyboozy
12-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Achievements are always welcome and in a game like Bully even more!

This is a nice game but why dont make it better whith that "detail"?

because when the game was made steam didn't have achievements;)

D4NN13L
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
because when the game was made steam didn't have achievements;)

oh rly? :rolleyes:

hughesyboozy
12-01-2011, 04:15 PM
oh rly? :rolleyes:

Well considering the game came out about a month after steam introduced the achievements how did you think they would put them in? the game came out on ps2 first in 2006 and basically remade for 360 and ported to pc without any changes. I suggest if you love them so much then you buy a 360 ;)

Illarox
12-03-2011, 02:09 AM
I have a post of my own but I figured I'd ask here as well as nobody answers.
Can I still go to the chapter 1 classes in chapter 2? I had 4/5 in all of them when I entered chapter 2 but for a few days only the new classes come up....

Pierre
12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with the OP. On my system there is a slight lag on some cinematics and classes (Chemistry class, I'm looking at you) but these slight flaws barely detract from what a great game this is.

HoriceGump
02-05-2012, 04:23 AM
I really struggle to get into the game. Maybe I just need to put a little more time into it.

gingerbill
06-16-2012, 08:34 AM
it's a good game , definetly worth the cost on steam .

The only downside is while playing you always think of ways it could be better , hope they make a 2nd one.

Works fine for me on both XP and win764bit. Keyboard and mouse is playable but only just , its definetly more fun with a controller.

pureobscure
06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Yup, fun and well made game. I thought people were exaggerating about the terrible PC controls, but they weren't! Probably the worst controls I've ever experienced in a PC game. Plays great with an XBox 360 controller though.

fozmcfc
12-28-2012, 02:15 AM
Throughly enjoying it so far on windows 7 64 bit with an xbox 360 controller, no issues so far.