PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to beat Croatoa if you aren't a [color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color][color="#FF66FF"]♥[/color] Twitcher?

Borrachofunk69
06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Not that I'm particularly good at action games but I've never felt so frustrated and unable to beat a game before.

I even did Shank on Hard and got every achievement BUT the final stage on Legendary -I'm not even touching the other difficulty modes- is just impossible. There's even a bit where these moving blocks take away 4 lives in a matter of seconds.

What the hell am I missing? Do I suck that bad or is there a trick to the level?

Tulipopa
06-19-2011, 12:52 PM
You suck =P
If you have problems in the stage, just wait until you meet the final boss (at least that's where I had a lot more problems).

Some players have found that level a lot easier with Charge ship, because the special goes through walls. Maybe you should try with that ship.

Kaoru_is_here
06-19-2011, 03:55 PM
N'ah, you're not the only one in this, Borrachofunk69. I had no particular problem finishing all the other stages within a couple of hours... but even after 2 or 3 days worth of practice I still couldn't beat the final boss. And I don't think that I particularly suck since I regularly enter the Boss with full five stars below the score counter. However I usually used up all most of my lives (and credits) up to that point, thanks to sections of the stage like the one mentioned above. God forbid if you manage to die for one reason or another between those blocks... because then the game is going to send you to a real hopeless place in which you can't do nothing else but lose another life within miliseconds. And if you're really unlucky you lose yet another one just after that. D'uh.

Another area I can't get through without losing at least one life is the one near the end with the moving blocks with spikes attached to them. That place is so overcrowded with enemies that it's just ridiculous. Nothing against a good challenge, but sailing through that one unharmed has more to do with luck than with actual playing skills, imo.

Well, I dunno. Up to this point I found this game to be very fun and addicting with a truly awesome music score... but since I got stuck in Croata I'm becoming more and more frustrated, if not even somewhat bored. And I start to feel motivation slipping away from me.

karterfreak
06-19-2011, 04:03 PM
For you guys having trouble beating Croatoa, you should tune into my stream some time. You might see some useful things for getting through that level without dying.

Giest118
06-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Stage 5 is something of a memorization-fest, moreso than other stages. It becomes downright EASY once you figure out some strategies that work well.

One thing to remember is that staying in the bottom half of the screen is actually a pretty bad idea for a lot of the stage.

Tulipopa
06-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Have you guys thought of using the mini-vaunt (canceling shield)? You get a few seconds of invulnerability (like when you spawn after death, but shorter). If you want to survive, that's the way to go. And like giest118 said, you do better if you are at the top/middle of the screen instead of bottom.

Just learn when to vaunt and you'll do well. The last level is my favorite (though I hate the boss). I don't think it has anything to do with luck (at least with legendary/divine difficulties). If there's one level that requires luck, it's stage 2.

Jeffrey0
06-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Have you guys thought of using the mini-vaunt (canceling shield)? You get a few seconds of invulnerability (like when you spawn after death, but shorter).
Bonus tip: this invulnerability works even with the green unvauntabullets on Judgement.

If you want to beat Croatoa pseudo-consistently on Judgement, abusing that is perhaps not a bad idea.

TrevHead
06-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah stage 5 is quite a difference in play style to the other stages. Imo its quite like an old school shooter than a modern bullet hell and requires some degree of planning and strategy to get to the boss.

Plus the last boss is much more like standard bullet hell bosses due to the bullet patterns been dense and the lack of gold so players cant just rely on their vaunt shield and lots of lives to cheese their way past him.

Tip: dont stay under the boss all the time, some of the bullet patterns require you to move to one of the bottom corners. There you will find the bullet wider apart and more managable. Take your time killing the boss, there is no rush.

Another area I can't get through without losing at least one life is the one near the end with the moving blocks with spikes attached to them. That place is so overcrowded with enemies that it's just ridiculous. Nothing against a good challenge, but sailing through that one unharmed has more to do with luck than with actual playing skills, imo.

Hide behind the first set of blocks and make a dash to get past the spikes. Vaunt when you set off and then cancel the vaunt just as you come to the spiked blocks to absorb the bullets that are shot at you.

Kaoru_is_here
06-20-2011, 02:23 AM
It's the strategy I always tried to use but I always got shot in the end because the shield didn't last long enough. But well... *cough* ...what can I say? Until this thread I didn't even know that you can produce another shield when you're cancelling vaunt mode. *cough* Almost makes me wonder how I actually managed to get through all the other levels. :D

Nevertheless, that second shield helped me A LOT, especially with the bosses. So yeah, after four or five tries I finally beat them both. Hah! But don't ask for the pulse rate I had during the last half of the second boss fight when I had to cling to my very last remaining life. Phew...

Anyway, I'm good with the game again. :)

(But yeah, stage 2 pretty much sucks. The first half with the long lasting spaceships is a real annoyance. On any difficulty.)