PDA

View Full Version : Champions, DC online or city of heroes.

Mud0ra
06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Hello guys. Recently i started playing this game with the famous and recently method of F2P. I Was playing all this weekend and the game looks very funny creating your hero with your own story, etc but i saw that a lot of features are disable for free players so make the game like a demo despite the game has full worlds and the archetype more likely are free. I was thinking in pay for the next month but i saw the lovely payment of 15 bucks when i thought is 9 or 10 bucks i don't think about this is the correct montly payment for this game(Don't offend) so i'm in doubts. My question are directly asked to the community.

What MMORPG is actually the best? Especially about heroes MMORPG.
I'm player of EVE but for this summer i have more time and i can hold other good MMORPG so i don't know to choose. DC Online looks good but i saw some bad reviews about it, city of heroes for the other side i see like a funny game and people are glad with it.

For my part, i finished of explain my undecision so it's time for community oppinion but please don't tell me play WoW i'm very tired of see that game in everywhere.

Greetings and thanks for your patient.

FU5E
06-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Hmmm, good Question. CO or CoH, matter of Taste. For my opinion CO is the better Choice.
Stay away from DC. Personally i think DC ist the best of that 3 Games but theres absolute Lack of Players. Maybe its different now because i didnīt play the Game since 2 or 3 Months but the last time i went in there were only a handful of players. (Server Bloodstorm PvP)Fly through the city and you meet nearly no one! Sad, becaus the Game is really cool.

Haldur
06-20-2011, 02:59 AM
I've played both CO and CoH, and I actually prefer CoH. That said, CO isn't bad. It's just not my taste. After spending several years playing CoH and CoV, CO was a little underwhelming.

CO definitely has better graphics. Both CO and CoH allow you to greatly customize the LOOK of your character. But CoH has a much more elegant game system. Also, the villain and hero sides are very distinct in CoH -- CO only allows you to create a hero. I started playing CO right when Serpent Lantern came out, and I was completely underwhelmed by that quest pack -- it was extremely repetitive, and helped to completely turn me off to the game.

CoH also has some repetition -- there are a lot of cookie-cutter missions, but over the years, they've been working on it, so there are also some really awesome task forces (two words: Roberto Hess). Also it's very easy to out-level story arcs, but since I left the game, I know they've added a mechanism for doing missions and story arcs that you've missed.

Neither game is perfect. CoH is certainly showing its age, but it also has some of the coolest systems around that other games either have copied or ought to copy (sidekicks, exemplars, alliance changes, difficulty customization, player-created content, prestige classes, meaningful badges/achievements, a really well-designed AH that allows both buyers AND sellers to post offers, etc.)

I can go on and on. CO does look better though.

Heiland
06-20-2011, 04:10 AM
CO is free CoH not

Zombie.Crusher
06-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Well you could search for gamecards online, I know that there are 60-Day gamecards for CO for only ca. 5 bucks per card in the german amazon store. But I don't know if there are similar offers in other countries.

Apart from that, I heard the combat in CoH is not as dynamic as in CO.

Mud0ra
06-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Thanks to all for your answer. I checked some videos about CoH and it is a good game but has something that don't like to me. Dunno how describe it.
For other part i like the fast combats with the blade archetype in CO so i guess that i'll try to be gold member for the next month and maybe in the future could try CoH.

For finish, if i pay for one month and my character was created with the normal free account (silver account i guess). Is there any changes such as customize the powers,etc.?

Odyssey1319
06-20-2011, 06:20 AM
For finish, if i pay for one month and my character was created with the normal free account (silver account i guess). Is there any changes such as customize the powers,etc.?

Yes. You can convert a Silver character to Gold status and make them a free-form, but this only works once. If your subscription runs out, you can't use that character again without making it an archetype permanently.

Ragnokak
06-20-2011, 07:50 AM
DCO looks good, but died with lack of end game content and the ever popular Sony Network disaster.

CoX and Champs are a lot alike, but that's because essentially the same exact team of developers created them both. That being Cryptic Studios.

If you play CoX and then play Champs you will get a huge deja vu feeling. However, Champs is a little more polished IMO and graphically superior.

Zyat
06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
As someone who is currently playing all 3, I'd say CoH has the best story based content, DCUO the best combat, and CO the best overall customisation (freeform builds ruined me for other hero based MMOs) and CO generally the best overall.

Graphics is all down to personal taste so I won't go into that.

CoH gameplay is the most... traditional I guess would be the word. The combat is the typical MMO style click button watch animation method, however there are no autoattacks. In CoH its all about using which powers when and knowing when to duck behind cover for a second or two (to use any heals or greens) to avoid getting slaughtered. Until you get a character completely built up to near god status, then you can typically wade into instances made for a full group of 8 set to max difficulty. Its got the most content of the 3 superhero MMOs.

CO has a very action based combat system as you've experienced. With a freeform character you'll eventually be able to take on practically everything in the game and walk away alive.

DCUO is a bit like a fighting game. For weapon attacks you'll be using combinations of right and left clicks/holds on the mouse. Powers work like traditional MMO style, click the key and it goes off. Like CO its very action oriented.

Community wise, CoH and CO win here hands down. CoH used to be the king but recently the community has gotten a bit trollish, however its still a solid, helpful community overall. CO was the opposite of CoH, was very trollish at release but has gotten nicer as time has gone by, typically very helpful and solid group of players, especially the lifers and us gold players, we try to help the new folks out cause we want you to subscribe :). DCUO... well... its a bit of a ghost town right now, hopefully things will get better after the server merges happen, but currently there just isn't much of a community to speak of. lol

If I had to pick a single game to play out of those 3, I'd go with Champions right now as they're releasing regular content updates and additions since the f2p version was released. CoH is fun and all but for me personally, I've played it for 7 years and am on the verge of cancelling my account, a decent number of the long time players play for a month or two when a large content update is released then cancel until the next is released, I'm about to become one of them. DCUO is fun but its just so empty right now, basically I'd suggest staying away from DCUO unless you have a friend or two to play with, thankfully I do.

Mud0ra
06-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Aww... Many different oppinions, hard decision...

My problem with DC online is i didn't see any trial and nothing for try it how the game works and like you must understand i can't spend 50 bucks in a mmorpg without a try.

Different with CoH has a trial and maybe i give a chance.
http://www.cityofheroes.com/en/trial/index.html

So i'll think about CoH and CO in the next days except if someone knows about trials of DC.

Thank you guys for your answer.

Zyat
06-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Aww... Many different oppinions, hard decision...

My problem with DC online is i didn't see any trial and nothing for try it how the game works and like you must understand i can't spend 50 bucks in a mmorpg without a try.

Different with CoH has a trial and maybe i give a chance.
http://www.cityofheroes.com/en/trial/index.html

So i'll think about CoH and CO in the next days except if someone knows about trials of DC.

Thank you guys for your answer.

That was my issue with DCUO as well. However there was a 50% off sale on steam a couple weeks ago so a friend and I decided to bite.

They really need to get a trial started for DCUO, it would bring a lot of new players in. There is (or was) a Subway promotion that has a 30 day trial, but the subway website has moved on to a green lantern promo, so I have no clue how to get the DCUO trial promotion. Sorry man. If I had a buddy invite I'd give you one, but sadly digital purchasers don't get buddy invites.

lpipkin
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
CO is free CoH not

give it a few months its going free

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/21/city-of-heroes-goes-free-to-play/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/21/city-of-heroes-freedom-screens-and-details/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/22/city-of-heroes-freedom-will-use-staged-download-system/

Ragnokak
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
give it a few months its going free

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/21/city-of-heroes-goes-free-to-play/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/21/city-of-heroes-freedom-screens-and-details/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/22/city-of-heroes-freedom-will-use-staged-download-system/

It's good they are doing this, but IMO it's a day (months) late and a dollar short.

Zyat
06-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Yeah, its also hilarious. Alot of the people on Virtue are raging over CoH going f2p and I don't blame them. The ViP server is a nice idea but because CoH doesn't use global names the same way as CO, people with 6 and 7 year old characters will transfer them only to find the name already taken. I know theres no way in hell I'd transfer over my characters, not only would it split up my SGs and friends, I just know my favorite characters won't be able to get their names on the new server, plus the bases my friends and I have built would be lost.

CoH is going to lose more customers than they gain over this I'm afraid, the restrictions on free players are SEVERE compared to CO, people not being able to send tells, talk in most chat channels, join SGs and possibly not even group if their free players... its going to turn alot of the free players off. Unless they rebalance the game alot, free players will likely get frustrated with the low level play and just give up since CoH can be a bit hard in the low levels for people with no vet rewards or previous experience with the game.

Its still a great game, but I'm afraid like Ragnokak said, its a day late and a dollar short. I wonder how far they are into CoH2's development at this point. :p

The timing is hilarious as well, they announce this on THE DAY I cancelled my account for the first time in 6.5 years.

Asuterisuku
06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I must say that after reading this and seeing the high praise for CoH, I decided to try it out, especially singe I enjoy Champions so much. After signing up for the free trial, I actually found myself disappointed. I don't think going F2P will save that one in my eyes. And yes, I COULD get past the poorly optimized/lacklustre graphics. I simply didn't find it fun to play. Different strokes, I guess.

Mobilemick
06-26-2011, 02:32 PM
CO COH ? can u explain what hese abreviations mean :)

Ragnokak
06-26-2011, 03:32 PM
CO COH ? can u explain what hese abreviations mean :)

CO = Champions Online.
CoH = City of Heroes. The first expansion was called City of Villains (CoV) so you may find it also referred to as CoX where the "X" represents the variable of H and V.

DPW
06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
I play DCUO and CO. I tried the CoH trial, but I found the combat tedious-- more trad MMO button clicking. Just my tastes, though.

Basically, CO has a superior character generation, and superheros seem to rely more on their powers than weapons. DCUO is kinda weird that way-- the majority of attacks are weapon, not power based (although brawling and hand blaster feel more superheroish). You also don't get immediate access to the majority costume accessories, you have to get them from drops.

That said, DCUO's combat is more action based and rewards things like dodging out of the way more. CO's targeting often means that you'll duck behind a pillar, only to see the local Viper agent gun you down straight through a wall. And the DCUO combos make for a lot of fun special moves.

Graphics are really individual taste. CO has a deliberately "comic" look to it, down to black outlines. DCUO is more realistic looking-- I feel more immersed in it when I play (zipping down streets in supersonic flight is a kick).

Community is WAY better CO side, and ultimately if I had to recommend one over the other, it would be CO for that reason alone. That said, DCUO might have a boost when they merge the servers (unlike CO, where you can swap between shards, right now in DCUO you're stuck with the "birth server"). And to be honest, the guys in CO just seem more chatty and friendly. I think the main reason I like DCUO as much as I do is that I already had some friends in a league who invited me to play with them. A good league makes all the diff in DCUO.

Content wise, it's true that DCUO suffers there. But I find that while CO may have more missions, it recycles the same warehouses and sewer instances again and again. So, not really sure either of them really stand out in that regard.

Final note-- CO has a VERY non-serious vibe to the storyline. I'm not one who takes lycra clad weirdos fighting crime all that seriously, so I actually consider that a plus (besides, I grew up playing the PnP version of Champs). Still, some really seem to hate that aspect of the game.

DarkJeff
06-27-2011, 08:25 AM
You also don't get immediate access to the majority costume accessories, you have to get them from drops.

I saw this during the Beta, and thought it was stupid beyond all belief. The whole point of CO/CoX is to have unique heroes, and locking most costumes just means there's less variety.

I dunno if they changed it since beta, though.

DPW
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I dunno if they changed it since beta, though.

No, it hasn't changed. Now, I can see it for some epic drops or the tier armor (the stuff you have to raid to get)-- that's kinda of a prize for doing stuff. But DCUO really goes overboard. I mean, I wanted insect wings for a recent char, but nooooo, only bird, bat or mechanical are available with the basic character generator. Insect stuff was drops only. You have to seriously farm to get an entire set, and I'm just not into grinding.

CO has some stuff that you have to either be Gold or fork out for, but you've got more than enough items to get most basic superhero looks.

DarkJeff
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Farming for parts is really annoying because it really mucks up how you make a character.

If you make a guy with insect wings in mind, feather wings don't stand in for a substitute. If you make a character with feather wings, your character concept isn't going to swap over to insect wings half-way through just because you got a drop!