PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Combined Operations...

FreemanForPrez
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
As the thread title says, I just bought Combined Operations through Steam.
I see I have Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead in my Steam games list, but listed separately. I clicked on Arma 2 to get it to begin downloading an it's at about 90% now, and I'm hoping I'll be able to play it as soon as it's finished. meaning, I hope I don't have to wait for OA to load too.

A couple questions though...
I thought it would be just one game. I read on the forums about Arma 2 MP not being so popular anymore, since "everyone is playing Combined Operations" (to paraphrase it), but how does that work?
If they're two separate games, how do you play it as if it were one? Is OA an expansion to Arma 2? The Store page says "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead is a standalone product and does not require the original Arma 2."

I don't really understand it. Just trying to get prepared so I know something ahead of time. I'm more than likely going to be playing the single player campaigns before venturing online.
Thanks for any answers. :)

phantom_six
06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
First launch ARMA 2, then launch Operation Arrowhead if you bought it off steam. Now right click on Operation Arrowhead and click launch in Combined Operations. Once you do this, you will launch both ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead at the same time which is practically Combined Ops. Yes you can play one of them alone, but nowadays people use contents from both ARMA 2 and Operation Arrowhead so therefore it will require Combined Ops.

wooki
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Also oa has a improved game enginge which makes arma2 better if played in co :)

maturin
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Also oa has a improved game enginge which makes arma2 better if played in co :)

Yep, you really won't have any reason to play Arma 2. The one exception is if you are playing a mission designed for Arma 2, and you want to use a scoped weapon at night. That won't work in CO without a thermal or NV sight.

cotabucky
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Having both arma2,arma2oa,BF and PMC are good when you add up the editor content.I also use sixupdater,ACE2 mods and a bunch of others so I have rediculous amount of objects and that is juts so cool :) .

FreemanForPrez
06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Okay, thanks for all the replies, but y'all lost me now. ;)
I have installed both Arma 2 and Arrowhead, and I see that if I right click on OA in my Steam list it has an option for "Launch Arma 2: Combined Operations".
I'm assuming that's what y'all mean.
But is this to say that I can use the newer engine by doing it that way and still be able to play the regular Arma 2 single player campaign?

This is seriously confusing. I see I also have something called "EW" in my Arma 2 single player campaign list along with Harvest Red. No idea what that is except from what I found on the net... I guess it's some bonus mission?

I don't even want to think about MP or mods just yet- still trying to understand what I bought and how I should go about playing it. ;)

vohk
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
:)To summarize:

Combined Operations is (more or less) launching the OA engine with the A2 content loaded in as a mod. You've got the right idea- you can use all of the A2 content in the newer OA engine along with all its content.

EW stands for 'Eagle Wing', it was a bonus A2 campaign added in with one of the patches.

MP is actually pretty straight forward: running CO will never stop you from joining a server. Running OA only will. If a server has a green circle beside it, you're good to go. Yellow means 'not sure' and is generally compatible. Red means you are either missing a required add-on or running one that isn't allowed. You can see what add-ons/mods a server is running by click on it and looking in the 'expansions' box. Most servers will list anything you might need in their name or on their website as well.

FreemanForPrez
06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Coooolllll...thank you vohk. :)
I get it now. I was only a short way into my first game of Arma 2 when I looked into it after writing the above, so I checked it out by launching Combined Operations through Steam and yeah, it's as you say.
I'm glad I did it too, because it looks better and has much better performance with the newer engine.
Man, there's a lot of game in this package.
Thanks for all the other information too, I do appreciate it. I'm having a blast with the single player campaign right now but I'll be checking out the MP soon enough.
Last time I played Arma MP it was about a year go and with Arma 1. Even back then people were saying everyone had moved on to Arma 2, or maybe even OA or CO.
I love Arma 1, but this is sooooo much better. :)