PDA

View Full Version : Question

Adik
06-25-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't know if this has been asked before ( I can't search for threads because VALVe disabled the search function in the forums ), I would like to know if "I hate Mountains" campaign was a feature campaign ( could not find it on l4d site ) and if it wasn't, is it safe to download it from "l4dmaps.com"?

When I say safe, I'm referring to the possibility that could have key-loggers, viruses or could it modify core files and trigger VAC?

I'm just a little concerned, thank you for answering.

Cheers! :)

crazyd89
06-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Hm... not sure , at some point VALVe referred to l4dmaps.com as, and I quote "... or download it from our friends at l4dmaps.com...".

If u are concerned about security issue you could upgrade to a premium account on l4dmaps.com and download the campaign straight from their servers.

I leave it up to you. Good luck.

Ashlou
06-25-2011, 09:30 AM
I've downloaded dozens of campaigns from L4Dmaps.com and never had a problem.

And I Hate Mountains is fantastic.

tsr2
06-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I have seen some shady campaigns on l4dmaps (usually ones under 1 mb) that will have random files contained in a zip (seems there is no screening going on of the files being uploaded), but I Hate Mountains would not be one of them. Good campaign and clean.

Kiarash
06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
I hate mountain was never a featured campaign yet, but no viruses for sure.

Adik
06-25-2011, 02:40 PM
I have seen some shady campaigns on l4dmaps (usually ones under 1 mb) that will have random files contained in a zip (seems there is no screening going on of the files being uploaded), but I Hate Mountains would not be one of them. Good campaign and clean.

Hm... interesting thing but wouldn't a person suspect something is wrong with a campaign that's under 1 MB? Also a person looking to get a custom campaign is supposed to know what ".vpk" file type is.

So I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who fall into this trap... but the best defense I have, is to read the comments, reviews and ask around.

Still, I have downloaded this campaign , played it, and can say it's a good one but as the developers mention at some point, this was not intended for L4D2 and is kind of unpolished. For example the frame - rate is a real pain for me. At some points it hits 35-45 fps, giving that I have lowered my settings to medium , and my Graphics Card can handle L4D2 and other games at around 90 - 110 fps. (Nvidia 9600 GT - 1GB version.)

Interestingly, in the L4D version my frame - rate is over 80 at any given time with all the settings to high.

But as long as Zoey has a chainsaw I can overlook this FPS issue :)

Still , the game is playable and usually stays at 75-100 fps ( L4D2 ) but has some bad areas like I've mentioned.

Anyways , good campaign , I give it a 88/100 ( L4D2 version )

Cheers!

Xopaa
06-26-2011, 12:38 AM
l4dmaps should be relatively safe, just examine the zip, and scan it. i suppose it would be possible to pack a virus or something bad into a .vpk, ill ask on the mailing list, probably wont be until monday for an answer.

Ashlou
06-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh, I always read a few pages worth of comments before I download, too, just to be sure. Glad to hear you got it working, Adik :)

Adik
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Hm... interesting fact. ( regarding I hate mountains ) As I stated before I have fps problems with this campaign ( see above posts ) but somebody told me that I should reduce the film grain settings. So I proceeded in doing just that, I have lowered a bit ( - 25% less ) and I have gained an extra 7 - 10 fps which is great because now in the parts where I had around 40 now I got 50 , and where it was like 50 - 55 now it's over 60 which is great news.

I never thought film grain setting was important, didn't even care about it but now I do :p

Also below is a sketch for how the film grain bar looks for me now:

before:

===========||=================

after:

=======||=====================

Thank you everyone who responded and see you online slashing "them zombies"!

Cheers ! :)

SPG
06-26-2011, 06:43 PM
I've downloaded about 40 campaigns from l4dmaps and never had a problem yet.

Be sure to save first and scan them before installing.

Xopaa
06-27-2011, 04:31 AM
ok so as long as you just drop the VPK into addons folder everything will be ok.

The_insane_3004
06-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Hm... interesting fact. ( regarding I hate mountains ) As I stated before I have fps problems with this campaign ( see above posts ) but somebody told me that I should reduce the film grain settings. So I proceeded in doing just that, I have lowered a bit ( - 25% less ) and I have gained an extra 7 - 10 fps which is great because now in the parts where I had around 40 now I got 50 , and where it was like 50 - 55 now it's over 60 which is great news.

I never thought film grain setting was important, didn't even care about it but now I do :p

Also below is a sketch for how the film grain bar looks for me now:

before:

===========||=================

after:

=======||=====================

Thank you everyone who responded and see you online slashing "them zombies"!

Cheers ! :)

Mine looks like this

||============================

Hate look of film grain, so I completely get rid of it :D

Adik
06-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Mine looks like this

||============================

Hate look of film grain, so I completely get rid of it :D

Hm... Intersting , no film grain at all. I think you get more performance this way. I will lower the setting to 0 as well to see what I'm getting.

Wish me luck :)

Keldorn
06-30-2011, 08:22 AM
I hate mountain was never a featured campaign yet, but no viruses for sure.

I wonder why that campaign hasn't been featured yet. I honestly think the 'l4d team' is ignoring any mappers that were publicly critical towards their left 4 dead 2 product.

crazyd89
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I wonder why that campaign hasn't been featured yet. I honestly think the 'l4d team' is ignoring any mappers that were publicly critical towards their left 4 dead 2 product.

Quoted for truth.