PDA

View Full Version : Lag issues only in Spiral Knights

Gharon
06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
In every other game i play online i usually have around 20-50 ping, yet in Spiral Knights i only ever get 2 yellow bars in the connection meter on the minimap.

It kinda ruins the fun if you try to block enemy attacks with your shield but they go through 90% of the time due to lag... not to mention all the phasing from place to place inside the dungeon while attacking.

One second you are in front of an enemy the next you are 5 steps behind him hitting thin air.

Anyone else getting pretty bad lag in this game?

starlinvf
06-25-2011, 09:56 AM
What matters is the distance and network quality between you and the server for that game... other games don't really matter. I have less then 10ms to my Terraria server in the other room, but that doesn't help much for someone connecting from Germany, if you catch my drift.

You can try asking your ISP for optimal routing solutions, but results will vary (as in the network engineers will laugh about it).

thezeronumber
06-25-2011, 10:38 AM
As far as i know all of the servers are hosted in America, even if the channel you're on has a different primary language. Because of this, many players elsewhere in the world are experiencing some fairly heavy lag and most actions have a large delay between execution and them taking effect.

I live in England and i'm getting a constant 2-3 bar which results in a lot of dodgy recognition. Sometimes i will teleport backwards when picking up an item, i often get "stuck" on spikes if i attempt to shield when i've clearly just walked off the area they are poking up from, shielding itself has a delay of 0.5-0.8 seconds even though the animation plays in-time, etc.

Playing Solo seems to help recognition a little more and i'm starting to learn how to predict when i will need to react in order to cover the action-delay. Still, i shouldn't have to do that because the shield should work a split second after i activate it. Ah well, maybe they will add in some other servers around the world; i can only hope because this game is actually pretty refreshing and i've not yet paid a single penny as i've got a self-sustaining system going.

Where is it you live?

Miraglyth
06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Towards the end of tier 2, this lag is becoming untenable. As you progress the game becomes increasingly reliant on defending well - dodging and shielding at the right times.

With this kind of lag, doing so is not reliable. We can dodge an enemy and then get lag-teleported to the spot of ground they're attacking. We can shield in time and get hit anyway - and then we can get hit again instantly because apparently even our moment of invincibility is delayed. At the worst of times we can even get lag-warped into an obstacle and briefly become sitting ducks, usually with fatal results.

I know this is only going to get worse the further we progress, so I'm seriously wondering if it's worth it right now.

ZPE
06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
The lag gets disruptive in later tier 2 arena rooms making them impossible to clear. Avoiding them until the lag problem is solved. :/

Miraglyth
06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
The lag gets disruptive in later tier 2 arena rooms
Yeah! That's exactly where it became unmanageable for us.

coolcooltheman
07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Spiral Knights is unplayable to me. I'm in the US, and when play tf2, i get real low ping ranging from 5-50 ms. I can't even walk around in town properly.

Undead
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
If you're experiencing lag in individual tiers, then that's not lag, you're experiencing FPS stuttering and is a result from either your GPU or drivers.

striator
07-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Well they're doing server maintenance in less than half an hour, so maybe it'll fix a few issues.

starlinvf
07-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Spiral Knights is unplayable to me. I'm in the US, and when play tf2, i get real low ping ranging from 5-50 ms. I can't even walk around in town properly.

Never quote ping times from games that have user hosted servers to compare performance with a centralized system like MMOs, it never ends well. The key is knowing where the servers located, not that they simply have a low ping. Try finding a german TF2 server and see if its got 5-50ms ping... if it does, your either a lair or your not really in the US (unless you count military bases on foreign soil).

Aegis^Byrth
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
i play mmos on american servers and get 160-200ping
i play spiral knights and get what feels like 500+

THEY have issues, and should work on a better server connection OR client-side lag compensation

I still manage ti solo tier 2 somehow (except fiends, those are impossible. You should shield just as the animation starts to not get hit, and doing that in a room with 5+ demons trowing chairs at you is just impossible), but i cant even imagine doing tier 3 with this lag.

I love the game but im not spending a cent on it before they fix this

EviLDeAthMaN
07-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Now, I'm not positive, but I believe that while in the clockworks, the party leader hosts the instance like in Vindictus. P2P. That is how it feels anyways, because when I play with people from my area, the lag is barely noticable, but when I play with somewon in singapore or Aus, Its lag city.

Undead
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Well they're doing server maintenance in less than half an hour, so maybe it'll fix a few issues.

They have that like every other day, and it doesn't help. :/ lol

starlinvf
07-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Now, I'm not positive, but I believe that while in the clockworks, the party leader hosts the instance like in Vindictus. P2P. That is how it feels anyways, because when I play with people from my area, the lag is barely noticable, but when I play with somewon in singapore or Aus, Its lag city.

If that were true going solo would be an instant 4 bars... and I have serious doubts they would do that on the security implications alone.

I haven't found any information on how the instances are handled, but seeing as everything is hosted in Amazon's EC2 cloud, they could have instances rooted in several regional locations. Its very possible the game decides where to spawn an instance based on criteria of the first player.

An alternative theory is the client synchronization has low tolerance for errors. If one client has high enough latency, it could cause enough variation that the server would have to enforce corrections to everyone. On several occasions, I've actually had my shield block an attack right after I dropped it.

I've also noticed theres a moderate degree of movement prediction/tolerance to try to smooth things out, but it has major draw backs when its forced to correct. Its most noticeable when sharply turning a corner and getting pulled back, and general rubber banding.

LlamaKami
07-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm In America, I Have Four Bars, I Still Lag Really Bad At Times. They Need To Improve Their Server Quality, It Is Not Just The Distance From The Servers. However I Don't Even See Why This Is Downloadable In Other Countries Because Of How Much Worse The Lag Would Be. The Company That Does Spiral Knights Isn't A Very Reputable Game Company So They Really Need To Fix This To Shine. Their Only Other Games Are Very Low Grade Even If They Are Indie.

Euphytose
07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Why caps at every start of word?

LlamaKami
07-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Boredom. Why a dumb question o-o? I do it once in a while and for important notices that I have to post on things but I was bored at that moment.

Retribution892
08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Im having the same problem in the later Tier 2 levels. Jelly Kingdom is practically impossible for me to complete and in most arenas I have to rely on my teammates because its so laggy that i just end up walking around the edge avoiding enemies with my shield up.

Im normally a pretty good player, but the lag makes me seem awful because I keep being the only one to die on my team and run into spikes/fire >.>

It just seems ridiculous to me. I can play games like TF2, L4D2, Portal 2, and Trine just fine on practically the highest settings, but spiral knights? nope. I have the game on lowest graphic settings with compatibility mode on and it still gets crazy.

ddwmk2002
08-16-2011, 08:35 PM
You think you guys have it bad? 1 sec of lag here in asia and you dont see me complaning. YES its annoying but playing on laggy servers for the whole of my gaming life pays off

orangescoarched
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
People need too stop with this "It has to do with how close you are to the server" crap. Guess what, the servers are located in or around Seattle, WA. Guess where I live? Extremely close to Seattle. I still lag far more often than I should.

Batabii
08-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Why caps at every start of word?

Because trolling.

starlinvf
08-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Way to zombie thread.....

Cyo67
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
People need too stop with this "It has to do with how close you are to the server" crap. Guess what, the servers are located in or around Seattle, WA. Guess where I live? Extremely close to Seattle. I still lag far more often than I should.

Actually, for you, its far more likely that you have framerate stuttering. You computer is having trouble rendering everything at a high graphics setting. And yes, there is a setting to edit that in the game. Try lowering and then seeing how it is.

starlinvf
08-18-2011, 06:03 PM

Actually.... turns out thats wrong. The servers are actually part of the Amazon cloud in Virgina/DC.

It confused the hell out of me for the longest time... but due to routing and Amazon's IP space, if your close enough to Seattle, you get routed through the network there and on to a another pipe that helps link the 2 sites together.

If you check the EC2 network health history, the SK servers always have problems when the US East servers have issues. Like that outage the other week.

ZPE
08-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Actually, for you, its far more likely that you have framerate stuttering. You computer is having trouble rendering everything at a high graphics setting. And yes, there is a setting to edit that in the game. Try lowering and then seeing how it is.

For me, it's a combination of both. Everything's already set to low anyway but still get the usual lag. Got disconnected two today, I just called it quits until now. I blame my connection more than the cloud servers though. :(

Razor118171
08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
In all seriousness, OOO has to improve the servers, it's just unbearable to play with all these lagfests going on. I know I shouldn't compare SK to WoW, but I'm in China and I play on european servers WITHOUT lagging. Very rarely do I get some lag, but most of the time everything's fine. So why do I die really crappy deaths in tier 1? I don't consider myself a pro nor a noob, just decent, but come on! "Teleport into the middle of mob - die once. Revive and teleport into the floor spikes - die again."
Maybe this is just another plot to make players waste CE and spend real money buying more - then again, SEGA was the producer, so it shouldn't be surprising if they rubbed off on OOO.

Cyo67
08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
In all seriousness, OOO has to improve the servers, it's just unbearable to play with all these lagfests going on. I know I shouldn't compare SK to WoW, but I'm in China and I play on european servers WITHOUT lagging. Very rarely do I get some lag, but most of the time everything's fine. So why do I die really crappy deaths in tier 1? I don't consider myself a pro nor a noob, just decent, but come on! "Teleport into the middle of mob - die once. Revive and teleport into the floor spikes - die again."
Maybe this is just another plot to make players waste CE and spend real money buying more - then again, SEGA was the producer, so it shouldn't be surprising if they rubbed off on OOO.

This is quite funny.

Its like you think distances mean nothing. Hate to tell you this, but the Spiral Knights server is in America. There IS NO EUROPEAN SERVER. (or at least I believe so, I think its in Washington, if I'm correct. :S)

So yes, anyone playing outside of america attempting to play this game is likely going to experience lag. This is due to the distance the data must travel between you and the server. There is no way to "fix the server" for this. The only way that your experience could improve is if OOO made enough money to get a european server.

Again, this isn't OOO's fault, but more like you raging at the fact that you simply live too far away from the sever for this to be playable for you.

Razor118171
08-19-2011, 09:33 PM
This is quite funny.

Really?

Its like you think distances mean nothing. Hate to tell you this, but the Spiral Knights server is in America. There IS NO EUROPEAN SERVER. (or at least I believe so, I think its in Washington, if I'm correct. :S)

Gee, thanks for telling me something I already knew for a while, it really helps.

So yes, anyone playing outside of america attempting to play this game is likely going to experience lag. This is due to the distance the data must travel between you and the server. There is no way to "fix the server" for this. The only way that your experience could improve is if OOO made enough money to get a european server.

Again, thank you for telling me something I already knew for a while. I appreciate it.

Again, this isn't OOO's fault, but more like you raging at the fact that you simply live too far away from the sever for this to be playable for you.

Excuse me.
If I'm "raging", it's not because i'm too far away, it's because of the simple fact that OOO hasn't given us a sign that they're looking into the problem. The game was released in winter 2009, if I'm correct, and we're already well on our way to 2012, and we STILL don't have european, australian or asian based servers. Hell, from what I see in the forums, even people that live in the USA have trouble playing!
So please, don't use that condescending tone with me.

starlinvf
08-19-2011, 10:08 PM
They know its a problem, but solving it is another matter entirely. I think everyone agrees with me that the one practical solution involves spending large amounts of money to setup new instances and upgrade the existing ECUs... the problem however is money.

The business model they use doesn't accommodate costs on that magnitude unless they're assured to recoup it, and the game can't guarantee that. Its essentially increasing the operating costs by around 50% without a clear picture of how much revenue you can get in return. Theres already a number of problems with payment processing involving countries outside the US, so thats another factor concerning a non-prime demographic.

Aegis^Byrth
08-20-2011, 10:19 AM

You are only partially right
As stated before by me and many others, SK servers feel ALOT more laggy (to EU players) then in other games with american servers as well.

For example, i play Global Agenda, they have US servers on both east and west coast. i get 160-230 ping depending on which coast im connected to (and 60 ping to GA EU server). It's annoying and GA lacks lag compensation as well, but i can SNIPE with it, just adjusting my aim a lil.

For some reason in SK i feel lag two times higher than what it should be.
IMHO its either a routing problem towards the servers from EU, bad network optimization with too many double checks to determine client commands, or bad programming on the servers that take too much time to elaborate clients information.

Most of these issues can be solved with no added infrastucture, just some fixing/optimization in the code.

all of this is speculation thou, im not a network analyst nor i have experience in java/opengl games but i AM a programmer myself.