PDA

View Full Version : Drag to COPY not to MOVE

Parliamentarian
06-25-2011, 01:56 PM
This is something that may not be able to be fixed, since it only seems to happen on occasion. I like to drag stuff over to copy it. Most of the time, it does indeed make a copy. But sometimes, it doesn't copy the files; it moves them (cut+paste). It's really annoying when I am copying stuff to several places, and one of the transfers doesn't copy the files, it moves them completely.

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate.

imeem
06-25-2011, 02:00 PM
why not press copy and paste?

rotNdude
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Press and hold down the CTRL key while you drag the file to another folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

zezzex
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
By default...if you drag a file to a diffent hard drive or partition windows assumes you are trying to COPY the file.

If you drag a file to the SAME hard drive or parition windows assumes you are trying to MOVE the file.

I just figured this out with a little testing. I dunno if there is a way to change this.

MoonUNit
06-25-2011, 02:54 PM
You can also right click and drag it, then select copy/move from the right click menu that appears.

~~ArdEnuff~~
06-25-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess to summarise what has been said:

Drag and drop a file in the same partition and Windows defaults to MOVE.
Drag and drop to a different partition and Windows defaults to COPY.

You can overide this behaviour by (a few examples):

1. Right-click and use copy/cut/paste commands.
2. Press CRTL before attempted to drag a file to another location.
3. Use shortcut keys CRTL-x for cut or CRTL-c for copy in conjunction with CRTL-v for paste.
4. Drag and drop with right-mouse rather than left. This then presents you with a context menu allowing you to select move or copy.

Washell
06-25-2011, 03:46 PM
2. Press CRTL before attempted to drag a file to another location.

Press and hold CTRL to copy
Press and hold Shift to move

joemtnbike
06-25-2011, 04:01 PM
You can also right click and drag it, then select copy/move from the right click menu that appears.

This ^ Right click when you drag files. It's much safer.

~~ArdEnuff~~
06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Press and hold CTRL to copy
Press and hold Shift to move
Yeah, good point about holding rather than just pressing.

Blobman001
06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
or just click item, hit CTRL + C

then CTRL + V in the folder

Princess Garnet
06-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Drag and drop with right-mouse rather than left. This then presents you with a context menu allowing you to select move or copy.That's how I've always done it when I want to copy something.