PDA

View Full Version : question about pre-vehicle implement gaming

sparkzbarca
06-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I've read some of the dev journals and the posts about vehicles being moved to a patch somewhere in the near future post game release but it seems based on the dev journals that vehicles were fairly integral to the game(fairly sure the vehicle dev journal goes on about how it would kind of suck if you had to hoof it around everywhere, little unfortunate there :P).

my main question is do you have any plans to help mitigate this pre-patch.

I understand that you can't have all vehicles implemented but one possibility would be two vehicles (dune buggy/jeep) one for each side, even if vehicle combat wouldn't really occur transportation could. Obviously i'm not sure what the specific hold ups are, if its modeling this would be a solution, if its some specific vehicles handling this still might be, but if its a generalized physics on all vehicles holding you back it wouldn't.

Other possibilities

cheap respawn building (with portable power supply to prevent power network connection need? this wouldn't have the advantages of a real spawn point protected by defense turrets and the ability to arm yourself from a nearby armory of course)

spawn on squad leader ala BF 2142 (frankly its a great idea regardless, I can think of no other idea that so greatly enhanced the tendency for pubbers to work together, it doesn't require any effort on your part to make it work, you just spawn in and suddenly your fighting together)

I played ARMA for a VERY SHORT period, and one of the (and there are a few) really annoying issues with that game is that you spend 5 hours driving around and 5 minutes exchanging gun-fire, I think I actually had a better gunfire to driving ratio in Iraq itself than in ARMA II

FlyingMongoose
06-26-2011, 02:11 PM
There's teleportation techniques. for "Forward advancement" of troops.

Dojab
06-26-2011, 10:52 PM
What we heard about alternative transportation was that there are buildings that if you die you can spawn at. If you're alive you can go to one of these buildings and teleport to another one. I think there is a delay of half respawn time though.

-Tallahassee-
06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I played ARMA for a VERY SHORT period, and one of the (and there are a few) really annoying issues with that game is that you spend 5 hours driving around and 5 minutes exchanging gun-fire, I think I actually had a better gunfire to driving ratio in Iraq itself than in ARMA II

Had a good LOL on this one.

I'm pretty sure the guys at Interwave have a good trick up their sleeves to prevent that on game launch. The FPS side of the game would really get less appealing if 3/4 th of a player's life would be spent running on those sprawling maps, and that just can't be (especially if the game wanna seduce those hardcore FPS TEAM players)

I've read about respawn facilities in the dev blogs, like the cloning station for the PE. Surely putting those near the main resource point of the map ensure fast-action gameplay, but that's the commander's job to do so. Something I'm asking myself however is how the buildings actually get there? I remember seeing in the official trailer some carrier vehicules that transport cubes developping further into a Consortium wireless powersource and a turret.

Trailer link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNtLTE48nQ

Are buildings setting up in the same way? Surely, as all those things are built at the base factory. But how do we get the boxes there without the carrier vehicule? I also remember seeing box air drops in the trailer, so this could be the alternative while waiting for vehicules.

Spawning on a squad leader would be nice, but I don't know if that can be done, as the developpers are trying to be as realistic as possible. In a dev blog they said making something magically appear out of nowhere would be a last resort. I wonder how they would pull out on this one :) Maybe some human capsule air drops.

sparkzbarca
06-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Air drops were what were used in both BF 2142 and PlanetSide.

I know there would be respawn buildings of course but i'm just concerned about the scenario not where your attacking or defending a resource point but where your both attacking a currently neutral location.

base A----->resource<-------base B

the walk to the resource for what might be a half second fight then death could be annoying, that walk doesn't have to be really that long either, in normal non-vehicle games like Counter Strike the whole map is traversable in 3 to 4 minutes quite literally.
It needs to be because when death can come in an instant, even a 2 minute walk is a lot more time spent walking than fighting when the average fight lasts 2 seconds or less.

A vehicle size map without vehicles needs more methods.

Even if it doesn't do it to all maps it will certainly render some unplayable.

A spawn point that requires you build a power line relay to the area, drop in a building and then can spawn in (forcing commanders to choose between dropping soldiers in earlier by building risky Forward spawns and potentially having them easily destroyed or investing in better tech) is probably not going to work out well.