PDA

View Full Version : Deathspank on Win7, does it run well?

joe331
06-28-2011, 01:37 PM
My PC is currently WinXP but I want to try Win7. Does this game run well in Win7? Can I get smooth 60 frame-per-second (fps)?

My PC: Intel E5300 2.60GHZ, 2GB DDR2, Geforce GTS 250 512MB 256bit, 1366x768 LCD, defragmented Sata II HD.

On my WinXP, Deathspank is more choppy than I expected (50-60 fps, but mostly not 60). Thongs of Virtue is way way smoother there (95% 60 fps). I use Fraps to measure fps.

My definition of a game running smoothly is 60 fps with vsync (60hz LCD), and things in the game move smoothly, not a bit choppy.

If you have experience on running Deathspank in WIn7 please share.

Teh Giggles
07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Well Joe, I'm pleased to tell you that as a Windows 7 user, I have an excellent time running Deathspank. It's extremely (and I can't stress enough) smooth. Not once have I had the misfortune of running into a problem. And by problem, I mean everything, which pretty much includes crashes, choppiness or even so much as a single frame rate issue.

That said, feel free to switch to Windows 7 without any worries.

However, I read (on this same forum) other posts where people complained about having trouble running this game with this particular operating system. Why? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure it's something that can be fixed.

Also, you said that you have 2G of RAM. I heard that you need at least 8G with Windows 7, in order for it to run properly. I have no idea why this is so, or even if it's true for that matter, but, just to be safe, you should look that up. Besides that, the other specs seem fine. It doesn't take much to run Deathspank, seen as the graphics are simple (all the while being awesome).

Anyway, hope that helped.

P.S. I read your blog post about the shields. Very interesting and quite creative. It's pretty awesome that someone took the time to concentrate on a detail that seems so small, yet in reality, plays such a large role in the gamer's experience. Personally, I think the ideas would considerably enhance the gameplay.

joe331
07-01-2011, 09:46 PM
From your explanation Win7 sounds quite promising, I will try it as soon as I finish my ToV and see how it goes. I think it worth trying. Thanks.

The reason I ask this is because when I found that DeathSpank (the 1st) runs quite a bit choppy in my system while ToV (the 2nd) runs smooth, I suspect that the 1st game's technical porting doesn't run as efficiently on WinXP compared to the 2nd game. So I think perhaps it will run better on newer version of Windows, like Win 7.

P.S. Thanks buddy, I hope the dev read that post (http://gamer331.blogspot.com/2011/06/deathspank-block-system-brilliant.html) too. Those ideas came to me naturally and effortlessly as I play the game, that shield is my favorite feature anyway :D

Amander
08-18-2011, 01:28 PM
I've played both games on 7 without any problems. So, just play it.

wyzau
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM

listen to this man ;)

same here, win7 64bit, no problems with both games - great fun!

DrObese
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Works fine for me.

lazar
10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Same here:P

energyse
10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
I had occasional crashes on both; this and Thongs of Virtue. Otherwise, it was rare and never hugely affected my progression.

Skating Zebra
10-28-2011, 08:24 AM
I've been running DS:TOV on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate without any difficulties. I am currently experiencing a save game error, where the game keeps giving me the error, "Save failed. Retry?", but up until that point it ran fine.