PDA

View Full Version : Controller or mouse/keyboard?

woolerland
06-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Controller or mouse/keyboard?

my aim on the controller isn't amazing but quite adequate to complete many fps's on hard but having a mouse right next to me will make me eat my arm off. so the question is... is there much free aiming in this game or mostly a targeting system?

AeddGynvael
06-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Controller or mouse/keyboard?

my aim on the controller isn't amazing but quite adequate to complete many fps's on hard but having a mouse right next to me will make me eat my arm off. so the question is... is there much free aiming in this game or mostly a targeting system?

Mostly targeting, the only free-aiming you HAVE to do with the Pepper Grinder is when you're peppering Snouts, as you can't lock on to them.
Many people are complaining about the mouse movement and whatnot, but I didn't particularly find the KB/M controls that bad. (Then again, I only tried one chapter with them, I don't know, maybe they get sloppier later.)
So it goes down to personal preference.
I love playing my platformers with a gamepad, so naturally, I'm playing the game with one right now and I find it relatively fluent and convenient.

mathesar
06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I normally always go for Mouse + Keyboard but with Alice2 after finishing chapter 1 I decided to try my PS3 controller and never looked back, it's easier to change focus in the heat of battle and the default control layout just feels right overall.

Dave3d
06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
The mouse is perfectly fine, until you try to aim.
And then, it gets to be a sludge-fest.
I would say go for controller.

MADDOGGE
06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Having no problems with KB&M. Aiming is fine and not sluggish at all.

PS: Yes, I have a 360 controller I could use. I just choose not to.

ZAP99
06-28-2011, 07:31 PM
The mouse is perfectly fine, until you try to aim.
And then, it gets to be a sludge-fest.
I would say go for controller.

My mouse gets sluggy when I use the pepper gun.

Im stuck at the point where the gold teapots with one red eye are because I can't get the pepper gun and aim to work together.

Is there a fix? Maybe settings are to high?

Caiobrz
06-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I use mouse, and I assigned the middle button (wheel click) as the targeting toggle. Fixed my issue =D

Im stuck at the point where the gold teapots with one red eye are because I can't get the pepper gun and aim to work together.

beware most high level enemies (teapots included) will only take damage if you hit their weak spots (namely, an open eye). The targeting system will aim for the eye but if it's blocked/closed it won't damage at all.

Other than that, I don't know what Spicy Horse had in mind, but when you aim with your pepper gun w/o the targeting system, it gets sluggish as HELL, and it's not an FPS issue, it just tone the mouse sensitivity to like 0 (lol), making it impossible to aim in battle. So don't worry, it's not high settings, it's the game which is ill coded =/ it makes mandatory to use targeting system with the pepper gun (didn't try controller as I don't have one)

Nimbulan
06-29-2011, 12:54 PM
The mouse control in this game is atrocious. Nothing feels right, even with mouse acceleration off. So unfortunately, I think you're better off with the controller.

Actually the pepper grinder aiming is even worse than just low sensitivity. If you do some testing, you'll actually find that your aim moves faster if you move the mouse slower. And then if you keep moving the mouse, it kicks the speed up and starts moving at a constant speed like you're using a joystick. It's really messed up and I can't believe Spicy Horse put the time in to break it that badly rather than keep it functional by leaving it alone.

Psycho101
06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I've tried playing the game with both and can honestly say that for me, using a 360 pad is infinitely nicer than KB & M. Everything is much easier for me to reach/press and I find using the lock on function and switching targets much simpler and more natural.

It's hard to recommend one or the other to someone else. However, as long as you own a controller too, you're guaranteed to be able to find the best method that suits you. Give both methods a go. I was surprised... very surprised that I prefered my controller, which is almost always strictly for driving games.

gashadokuro
06-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Both are fine with me. I use the controller mainly since it isn't really necessary to use mouse/keyboard, especially since the fighting has lock on and if u click in the control stick it'll go into aiming mode for the pepper grinder.

Lep3r Mesi@H
06-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Both are fine with me. I use the controller mainly since it isn't really necessary to use mouse/keyboard, especially since the fighting has lock on and if u click in the control stick it'll go into aiming mode for the pepper grinder.

Agreed I find that I am using both as well. My Logitech GP actually works better but I'm more adept with KB & M.

jchadclarke
07-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm a fps keyboard/mouse kinda guy, but you have to use what the game was intended to work with. The Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for pc is perfect for this game. This is a great game with a controller, but only an average game with keyboard/mouse.

AeddGynvael
07-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Just a related tip:
Any controller works with the game if you use XInput.
I'm currently playing with some cheap Hama gamepad and it works perfectly (even though my XInput version is pretty old, considering I last used it for GTA IV.)

Cody64
07-18-2011, 10:24 AM
I had issues when playing with a mouse and keyboard, so I ended up using my PS3 controller to play through the game.

XtzyGhosty
07-27-2011, 05:15 AM
An xbox controller should be perfectly fine. I'm playing teh game with it

Amander
07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
The game plays better with a gamepad. The mouse control feels like rubber and the enemy lockon function allows kinda easy combat with a gamepad.