PDA

View Full Version : sound popping and blurry graphics

Deusfaux
06-30-2011, 11:13 PM
#1. now I do have a new build I just put together with new sound card and such, but I do not experience popping (at all?) through other applications or games.

But when playing this game, I get a reliable loud pop just as the level starts, and then a few seconds afterwards a 2nd.

This is very (always?) repeatable.

#2. The graphics of everything moving by, that is, the land and the obstacles, is very blurry and never seems to be clear or well defined.

not like the sharp edges of the background, the HUD, and captain video himself.

Note that I have played this on Wii, where there was not an issue as far as I can remember (I'll be going back to it shortly).

I have tried running in a window and it didn't help.

If I collide with something and it all stops moving, I think everything snaps into focus.

This does NOT appear to simply be some kind of motion blur. I should be able to follow a given object from right to left and it should appear clear and concise, but it does not.

Cogito
07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm experiencing the same sound problem you describe, and it's rather annoying... :(

ZeratulX
07-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I noticed when I play the game it is popping as well. I'm using an X-Fi so I'm used to games doing this sometimes but it's still annoying. I haven't noticed blurry graphics that I know of but I'll keep an eye on that next time I play. Also I figured I might as well say this here since it's semi-related to the sound problem I guess.. I can't adjust the volume in this game at all (via Vista mixer or in game).

With Bit.Trip Beat I can at least adjust it with the volume mixer but this game is always the same volume level no matter what the master volume is and it doesn't have a application specific volume control in the mixer like Bit.Tip Beat does. Now don't get me wrong.. I enjoy the music in both games but I'd prefer to lower it a bit so I don't disturb others while playing (and so I don't go deaf wearing headphones).

dcninja757
07-01-2011, 12:48 PM
the blurry graphics thing is my issue. sucks.

Zubera
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm also getting the blurry graphics problem.

maxmontezuma
07-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Maybe it's your screen which got a bad response time. I don't have this problem, so I don't know how it looks :x

Deusfaux
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
anyone got contact info for whoever's responsible for game fixes?

also confirm Wii's stuff is not blurry or stuttery, and obviously no sound popping.

Deusfaux
07-05-2011, 07:25 PM
oh and I tried on a laptop and whilst at first things seemed smooth, they quickly turned blurry / stuttery as well, possibly as a result of changing resolutions, or just time.

changing the resolution back didnt help though.

Deusfaux
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
also can anyone F12 screenshot this game without getting a BSOD? I get a stop error as soon as I hit it and have to reset. Win7 64.

Note this doesnt happen with Bit.Trip Beat or TF2.

Mr.Buttocks
07-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Add SoundDevice = Generic Software to your game.cfg file and see if that helps alleviate the popping sounds. (See the README.html in your Bit Trip Runner folder for more info)

Deusfaux
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
yes that fixed the popping. but am I losing anything by using software sound? I guess in Windows 7 era hardware sound doesnt do much of anything?

boateye
07-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I have both of these problems listed (also using an x-fi x-fi titanium card), but what fixed it for me (at least for now) was re-installing openAL from the "...\steamapps\common\bit.trip runner\dependencies" folder and clicking on the "oalinst.exe"

Hope it works for you! fixed both the graphical issue and the sound issue for me.

Deusfaux
07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I just undid the sound fix from above and tried your fix. ran the file "install complete" within microseconds of clicking it, and no change on game's popping or blurry graphics.

sure it wasn't something else you did?

boateye
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Yea i'm sure. Though the graphical issue is intermittent for me. it could be that it just decided to work now. :/

Deusfaux
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Generic Hardware also works for me.

Anyways, now to find a solution for the ugly gameplay

Lemon
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
This does NOT appear to simply be some kind of motion blur. I should be able to follow a given object from right to left and it should appear clear and concise, but it does not.

what refresh rate are you using? try using 60Hz if you arent already.

i had the same exact issue with moving objects looking blurry and being difficult to focus on even with a solid 60 fps. i tried windowed mode, 16 / 32 bit color, with and without vsync, and different resolutions. nothing worked until i decided to lower my refresh rate.

moving objects now look crystal clear at 60Hz. no more eye strain. i have a CRT and use anything from 75Hz to 170Hz depending on what resolution im using. it sucks having to use 60Hz because of the noticeable flicker compared to my normal 120Hz. it is however a worthy sacrifice to be able to actually see clearly.

ive never seen any other game behave this way. seems like some pretty bad programming or a poorly coded game engine.

Deusfaux
07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I have an 1600p panel locked at 60Hz...

Lemon
07-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I have an 1600p panel locked at 60Hz...

are you sure its actually running at 60Hz while playing? when i was searching for a solution i heard the game forcing some people to 50Hz. im not sure if a lower refresh rate can have an affect or not. anything higher than 60Hz and the game becomes unplayable for me.

perhaps this is just a weird fix that works for me, i dont know.

Deusfaux
07-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Well how would I check or ensure the game runs at 60Hz?

game.cfg says it's at 60Hz...

TRTerror
07-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Does anyone have expereince with refund? The blurryness is hurting my eyes and since gaijin doesnt seem to want any interaction with the steam community i want to get something else.

Deusfaux
09-18-2011, 11:24 PM
how do I get in touch with the developers to tell them their game is ugly on Steam?

Kandralla
09-23-2011, 07:00 PM
It's probably not the game, it's likely your LCD monitor causing the blurriness. It's a fast game and you have to focus on the fast parts so it's really noticeable.

Deusfaux
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
No, it's the game. I kind of make it my business to know these sorts of things.

Plus you're a bit daft if you failed to read the part where I tried it on a different display.

kn00tcn
09-24-2011, 04:32 PM
shows up on screenshots? (use fraps if you say steam F12 is BSOD'ing)

specs?? forcing things in gfx driver settings?

Deusfaux
09-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I had the same issue across completely different (customer high end desktop) builds (OEM mid range laptop).

but I'll try screen caps shortly.

kn00tcn
09-24-2011, 04:57 PM
also get specific with exactly which gfx driver is installed

Deusfaux
09-24-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure if I was still on Nvidia when I first got it, but these days running the latest Cats for ATI, update every month. Currently on 11.8s

Deusfaux
09-24-2011, 05:01 PM
doesn't show in Steam screencaps. Each time I hit F12 it does micropause though.

expected that

kn00tcn
09-27-2011, 04:05 PM
you're not using an hdmi cable are you?

you're also sure the resolution is correct? tried windowed mode?

Deusfaux
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
DVI. rez was correct on both machines.

I really don't think something is wrong with my setups or configs. I'd be suprised if one of you out there say it's as smooth as the Wii version.

And windowed mode is addressed in the first post.

kn00tcn
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
anything being forced in the driver control panel? like MLAA or MSAA or lower quality mipmap settings

instead of steam screenshots, try fraps or just the regular windows printscreen to see if it shows up there

Deusfaux
09-27-2011, 04:52 PM
nothing shows up in FRAPS. very crisp clean objects. what I expect when game is in motion but don't get

Deusfaux
12-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Should be on first page.

Deusfaux
09-20-2012, 12:53 AM
bumpbump