PDA

View Full Version : I am getting really angry at the Shogun 2 patching process

NovaStalker
07-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Why the ♥♥♥♥ do I have to redownload the entire game every time they release a patch? Some of us have download caps. Some of us has useless connections that take a very long while to download 18+gb.

Learn to patch like a real dev team instead of complete amateurs.

Gobabis
07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I only had a 50Mb download today but now the game does not launch

3asytarg3t
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
What I don't get about this latest patch is what changed?

There's no change log?

Only thing I saw was some long BS posting in the news about how hard it is to mod Empire and Napoleon and they're going to make it up to everyone. How that's news regarding a Shogun 2 update is beyond me.

Herodotus07
07-01-2011, 02:36 PM
For a 5.5 GB Patch I would expect something pretty darn amazing.
Alas no, and the fixes won't happen for hours.
This from CA:

"Here's a press release about the update's content we were going to deploy earlier.

In short, it's a new achievement as part of the Steam Summer Camp promotion that's going on at the moment. It gives you some decent in-game bonuses, too.

Enjoy!

-C

School’s out with Steam and Shogun 2

The Creative Assembly and Steam have got together to bring you some relief from the blistering heat of summer. Or, if you live in Britain, the inevitable damp few months ahead.

As of today, a new achievement will appear in Total War: Shogun 2 as part of the Steam Summer Camp extravaganza. If you win three consecutive battles during an in-game summer season (in a single or multiplayer campaign), you’ll bag the brand new “Summer Son” achievement.

But that’s not all, for the Daimyo you used to unlock the achievement will receive a rather special thank-you for his labours. He’ll unlock a brand new trait, giving him some nice new bonuses. For every summer thereafter during your campaign, he’ll get the following:

Bonus Morale to units under his command
Bonus Morale to all units within your faction
Bonus Happiness across all your provinces

When your Daimyo dies, he’ll take the trait he’s unlocked to his grave. But the good news is you’ll keep the achievement after prising it out of his cold, dead hands. Go you.

It’s not the first such cool partnership we’ve had with Valve – we also worked with them to bring Shogun-themed in-game items - such as hats and big stabby swords - to Team Fortress 2."

Macka
07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Steam wants to download the entire game again. That's awesome for people on capped data plans. :rolleyes:

CORR0S1VE
07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
What the heck is this? Sparta?
I get an 8.462 GB update this morning, with nothing to show on the update logs, news, game details or anything. I can't imagine what needs to be downloaded that is 8.5 GB, but if it is too insignificant to put up the changes on the 'news' tab, well... I don't know.

Anyone else get this update? the most recent post in news was at 3:18am:
"Total War devs explain lack of mod tools for Empire and Napoleon, release data tables for modders"
Which i doubt has anything to do with my update. The second most recent was on the 27th, which i already downloaded, so it wasn't that.

Someone help?

BlackDragon1
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
what a wasted download i still can't finish my world domination campaign on Shogun 2 and they release this???

bogswan
07-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I dont understand why some are having to download the entire game or a large part of it again while some of us have a tiny patch!

Way to go!:rolleyes:

Mister_Gutsy
07-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Meh my update is 2.4 GB but the annoying part is that steam is downloading it at 20 KB/s, yes 20 KB/s. Steam wth is going on? care to explain, servers too much overloaded or what?

EDIT: For a side not, my Shogun 2 was a retail purchase, does everyone with retail game has a huge download or is it purely random?

NovaStalker
07-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Well I bought the collector's edition so it might very well be an issue with activated retail copies. It's still completely unacceptable.

Browncoat1984
07-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Based off of this thread, I think I'll wait for Total War to go on sale at 50% or more before purchasing it, because that's just nuts.

surg3on
07-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Tiny 50mb patch here.

complaining about patches in PC games... ahhh it proves that no matter how much things change, they always remain the same :) oh Tribes2 how I hated (and loved) you.

AstralRevenant
07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I, too, woke to a Shogun 2 patch. To my horror, it is 18,748.2 Mb. :eek:

I have the retail collector's edition. I don't know whether the retail version causes this massive download versus the download size of steam editions? This is not the first time I have had large updates for Shogun 2. This problem really needs to be sorted out, whether it be on the side of Ceative Assembly or Steam. I, like many, have a limited download limit. At this point in my billing month, if I were to download this update, I would surely go over my cap.

I do recall a support solution that had something to do with this problem, however, I have been unable to find it since. Is anybody able to direct me to a possible solution to cancel the download and possibly download the actual sized update (20 odd Mb?) ?

whackz
07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
It doesn't download 18,748.2 Mb. It just says 18,748.2 Mb because it has to recheck all the files to see if they match with what's on the STEAM servers. Mine says 18,748.2 Mb but the actual update only replaced around 700 MByte of files.

AstralRevenant
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Ahh okay. Sorry I am not very tech savvy. So it will only affect my downloads by that small amount and not the 19 Gb?

Joecrazydirt
07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Why the ♥♥♥♥ do I have to redownload the entire game every time they release a patch? Some of us have download caps. Some of us has useless connections that take a very long while to download 18+gb.

Agreed, Some how I don't think CA would release a patch that is 13GB large (which is what steam is asking me to download), the problem must be with steam. Now I have a 20GB monthly data limit which just recurred, this means after I download the patch, I'll only have 6 and a bit Gigs left to last the rest of the month.

WTF!!!!

I've halted the download and stopped playing TWSG2 in the mean while, steam please sort it out, and soon.

Mister_Gutsy
07-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Tiny 50mb patch here.

complaining about patches in PC games... ahhh it proves that no matter how much things change, they always remain the same :) oh Tribes2 how I hated (and loved) you.

Just because your update was 50mb does'nt mean tons of ppl are lying here. My update is 2.4GB, well no problem i have a very fast internet connection but the problem is that for some reason steam is declining to download faster then 100 KB/s for me today no matter which region i choose to, apparently too many ppl are downloading because of all those deals and servers are overloaded

Axialbloom
07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
It doesn't download 18,748.2 Mb. It just says 18,748.2 Mb because it has to recheck all the files to see if they match with what's on the STEAM servers. Mine says 18,748.2 Mb but the actual update only replaced around 700 MByte of files.

Lucky you. :rolleyes:

Steam started to completely re-download all 18gb of Shogun 2 for me. All of it. It had downloaded 7.8GB by the time I had gotten up in the morning. My total war shogun 2 folder under steamapps is now 7.81 GB in size. My bandwidth usage meter states 8GB done for the day. Steam says it's 45% complete.

Bloody great.

Even better the massive re-download has blown my cap for the month and the resulting monetary cost of this is going to screw me out of money I was saving for the summer steam sale.

A big congratulations to whomever is in charge of this terrible "patching" process.

whackz
07-01-2011, 08:21 PM
@Axialbloom. It's mostly Steam's (and some on part of the developer of the game) fault since the way they patch is to completely replace the file. Its It's the developers fault for packing the files so Steam has to re-download the entire file. Steam doesn't patch parts of a file since Valve probably doesn't have the right too or it is a programmers nightmare to develop code which would span across all games (all games are coded differently so a patching tool for all games would be difficult to make). So it is easier to just replace each file that doesn't match the Steam's file check. The only reason you'd have to download the entire 18GB is if you have files that are all not matching to the servers or a glitch which delete the files and caused you to re-download the whole thing again.

I agree Steam is terrible in the fact it wastes so much bandwidth, money, time and electricity due to redundant re-downloading of files you have already; adding to the carbon emissions which plague the Earth.

whackz
07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
TF2 and Source games now are getting heaps of lame updates which add items and some source code changes in which they didn't anticipate some bugs/exploits which cause some ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-ly large updates for Source games even though the Source engine are packed files which Valve has Steam doing replacements of files in the packed gcf. All these ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ items are killing bandwidth.

Axialbloom
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
... The only reason you'd have to download the entire 18GB is if you have files that are all not matching to the servers or a glitch which delete the files and caused you to re-download the whole thing again.

I agree Steam is terrible in the fact it wastes so much bandwidth, money, time and electricity due to redundant re-downloading of files you have already; adding to the carbon emissions which plague the Earth.

I never said steam was terrible per se - only the shogun 2 patching process. This is the first of the 147 games I've installed and played through steam that has tried to entirely replace itself as a means of patching. Which is, quite simply, ludicrous.

There are over 110 folders and more than 2000 files in my shogun 2 directory and not a single previous version was valid? Every single one needed to be re-downloaded to patch?

The fact that people are reporting patch size discrepancies varying from 20 mb to 18 Gigabytes leads me to believe that something is amiss here.

ACIDFAN
07-01-2011, 10:48 PM
i was trying to download this game today and it was taking forever
luckily i knew someone with the physical discs so i installed and lo and behold i still had hours to go

FINALLY 99%

question:

why would you subscribe to an isp who gives data caps?

Browncoat1984
07-01-2011, 10:52 PM

I always wonder that about gamers or people who subscribe to services like Netflix...if my ISP started a bandwidth cap I'd unsubscribe really fast...

Mr_Eon
07-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I always wonder that about gamers or people who subscribe to services like Netflix...if my ISP started a bandwidth cap I'd unsubscribe really fast...

I view Bandwidth cap ISPs the same way I view people who don't believe in Antibiotics for religious reasons. Way to drag us all back to the frikking stone age!

Seriously. Bandwidth caps are BARELY acceptable for mobile device contracts. NOT for your home machines.

ShushKebab
07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who's facing this ridiculous patch; I need to download 15gb worth again. What the hell?

nilshansson9
07-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Same here, my brother who's computer is right next to me gets a 31.1mb patch while I have to download the whole game again...

On a Capped plan here, BECAUSE I LIVE IN ♥♥♥♥EN AUSTRALIA AND THAT IS ALL WE CAN GET IN OUR AREA!

My solution is to just take his game files and do a verify. But I should not have to do that...

Same thing happened with tf2 and Killing floor....

♥♥♥♥ shogun it's not worth this.. I'm going back to third age total war.

SamRR
07-01-2011, 11:25 PM
9gig here :S pain in the ♥♥♥♥, sigh. What pisses me off the most is I have it set to not auto update because of this bull♥♥♥♥. And It updates anyways. Steam WTF?

Axialbloom
07-02-2011, 12:04 AM
9gig here :S pain in the ♥♥♥♥, sigh. What jaratees me off the most is I have it set to not auto update because of this bull♥♥♥♥. And It updates anyways. Steam WTF?

I was actually wondering about that myself. I also had Shogun 2 set to not auto-update and it still went ahead and kicked in a complete re-download of the entire game while my steam was left on overnight.

As to those wondering about why people would subscribe to ISP's with caps - not everyone lives where you do. They may not have the option or the means.

Murdats
07-02-2011, 12:25 AM
question:

Because in Australia there is no such thing as ISPs who dont have quotas, unless you count the 'unlimited' dialup or adsl plans that are too slow to download much on.

now a lot of people like myself pay a fair bit a month for the luxury of having 100-200gig a month, but then you also have to look for the ISP's that 1. dont oversell 2. don't count uploads towards your quota

and Australia isn't alone in this, we can't all be America (but we can have american CEOs running our now privatised monopoly of a telco provider keeping us back a decade, thanks for that)

connon_daly
07-02-2011, 03:07 AM
This has happened to me. In New Zealand a 20GB plan is around $60 a month. So this totally ♥♥♥♥s everything up for me. Full 16GB download.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. What i don't understand is why its different for various people.

QQ.Lazy
07-02-2011, 09:08 AM
zzzz... 18,748mbs here, no more Shogun 2 i guess.
as said above =.=''; not everywhere is like america, Aus and NZ have data cap plans because thats all we got.

666Diem
07-02-2011, 09:14 AM
makes it hard to get achievements when everything wants to update, and nothing at a decent speed

Herodotus07
07-02-2011, 12:59 PM
This has happened to me. In New Zealand a 20GB plan is around $60 a month. So this totally ♥♥♥♥s everything up for me. Full 16GB download.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. What i don't understand is why its different for various people.
In Australia it's a lot more competitive. iiNET has a 300GB Cap each month. Very hard to even get that close monthly, and the price is around the same as you're paying.

Raven1417
07-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Hey guys,

For those of you with the having to re-download the entire game again. I might have a partial solution.

I had the same issue and was also downloading some other games. I tried to pause the other downloads to get Shogun 2 as quickly as possible and lo and behold they wouldn't pause so I closed down steam completely, re-opened it and BAM went from 80MB/18755.4MB straight up to 16004MB/18755.4MB.

Obviously still got 2.5GB or so to download but it's better than the whole 18. Hope it works for you guys.

Murdats
07-02-2011, 07:50 PM
In Australia it's a lot more competitive. iiNET has a 300GB Cap each month. Very hard to even get that close monthly, and the price is around the same as you're paying.

Not everywhere, I have a few friends who are forced to use telstra because of the area they live in (and quite a few people who have to use mobile internet) and through telstra it still costs ~$60 for 20gig or so

Col. Hamilton
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
just say no to mods

Trollslayer
07-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Is there a way to stop Steam from automatically downloading patches? Or for that matter, a way to cancel a patch that has started to download but hasn't finished, and just keep playing the unpatched version?

I've got a 5GB update as well, on a 6GB wireless plan.... :(

Joecrazydirt
07-04-2011, 05:00 AM
I've never downloaded or installed any mods, yet i'm getting 13GB of update!!!!

CraigTW
07-04-2011, 11:46 AM

You shouldn't have to re-fetch the entire game. This could be a Steam bug, we'll investigate.

Apologies for the issue with the recent patch, it should now be sorted.

Metaldogz
07-05-2011, 04:39 AM
I've never downloaded or installed any mods, yet i'm getting 13GB of update!!!!

I had the same problem. I purchased the CD knowing my connection sometimes wasn't great ....i still ended up downloading the entire game each time it was patched which was frustrating and expensive as i am using a pre =paid internet service. 40 GB in the end cost me more than the game cost me !

Trollslayer
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
It's been four days now.

Still can't play the game until I've downloaded 5Gb through Steam. Still can't afford to do this. Still can't play the game I've paid for.

This issue is not going away.

docfate
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
You shouldn't have to re-fetch the entire game. This could be a Steam bug, we'll investigate.

Apologies for the issue with the recent patch, it should now be sorted.

It's not sorted. It tried to download 18GB again for me today.

I've uninstalled and probably won't reinstall thanks to the giant download. I have other stuff to play thanks to the summer sale.

What a waste of 30 bucks.

CraigTW
07-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi guys,

We're talking to our friends at Valve about the "downloading the whole game again" issue now. Would one of you mind chatting to one of our contacts? There's a thing or two he'd like to try to identify the cause.

If you're happy to talk to Valve, let me know and I'll set you up.

Thanks,

Craig.

El_MUERkO
07-08-2011, 05:13 AM
I bought the game in the half price sale a few days ago and have been downloading it bit by bit ever since.

I finished downloading today so I tried to run it several time, it crashed every time.

I did the file check, it got to 77% and started downloading 2.25 gigs in the background, so I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Otto-Grainer
07-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Hi guys,

We're talking to our friends at Valve about the "downloading the whole game again" issue now. Would one of you mind chatting to one of our contacts? There's a thing or two he'd like to try to identify the cause.

Thanks,

Craig.

Dang, I would definitely volunteer for this if I was in a more appropriate timezone, and if the account I played the game on was actually my one instead of my brother's. Thank you so much for getting on to this though, Craig.

I shall also urge for anybody else to sign up to this if they're having problems with an internet cap. I would greatly appreciate the effort and I'm sorry I can't attend to it right now.

Metaldogz
07-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Steam wants to download the entire game again. That's awesome for people on capped data plans. :rolleyes:
Me too sucks doesn't it
My game doesnt work at all now but nobody seems to give ♥♥♥♥.
Excellent customer service NOT !

Metaldogz
07-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Craig.
I emailed you guys about this months ago when the game first came out ...no one even replied.
I paid $140 for the limited edition version of teh game with chess set etc and then spent a futher $100 increasing my isp CAP
to download all the updates which wanted to completely reinstall and download the entire game ....I'm so Happy about this

Koranis
07-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Craig.

Craig, thank you for what you're doing. But at this point I really wonder why is that there is only you here? Why is that nobody at Valve is posting on this forum? Why is that "one of your contacts" cannot take his sweet time to come here and read just a couple of 13455 posts where the customers are complaining about the crappy service and the lack of support for an AAA game? Also considering that it doesn't seem to be an isolated issue of a random customer.

It's all good setting up a chat with Valve, but they should have been reading about this problem 2 days ago. Now what can we expect from them on Friday evening? :)

I don't think it's fair that you (as CA) take all the flames if really all you added is just a pointless Summary Achievement!

El_MUERkO
07-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I bought the game in the half price sale a few days ago and have been downloading it bit by bit ever since.

I finished downloading today so I tried to run it several time, it crashed every time.

I did the file check, it got to 77% and started downloading 2.25 gigs in the background, so I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

So my connection spiked and it actually finished about 3 hours ago \o/

I played for an hour or so, then went for dinner, when I come back the game wants to download another 240mbs!

Why? The game was working!!!

thametz
07-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Why is that nobody at Valve is posting on this forum?

Because the forums are not for official support of any kind. You need to contact Steam/Valve directly for issues with a game and then most likely get bounced back over to CA.

Otto-Grainer
07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't think it's fair that you (as CA) take all the flames if really all you added is just a pointless Summary Achievement!

Definitely agreed, though I don't actually think anyone should get the blame. This is only a problem with some people, as we've learned from the thread, and it's an accident one in any event.

Now are you gonna sign up to troubleshoot it? :P

Trollslayer
07-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I wish I could have helped with the troubleshooting process, but after six, maybe seven days of waiting for some sort of solution, I bit the bullet and downloaded 5Gb of update.

I agree with comments above that CA can hardly take all the blame - after all, surely they didn't put in code that asks users to re-download the whole game.

However, when the product you sell doesn't work, you still have a moral responsibility to find out why. Which as far as I can see, still hasn't happened.

Perhaps there's a lesson here for CA - small patches like this are not worth it. So many people experience the same problem each and every time the game is patched, that surely something like an achievement is not worth the trouble for all your customers, who love your game as it is.

Otto-Grainer
07-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Well, nobody put in a code with any intention of this sort. It is a bit serious and it did affect a lot of users, but even so I wouldn't urge against small updates like these that work as a collaboration with other developers to build up the events and achievements for special prizes and giveaways. The whole outcome of the inclusion adds to the spirit and entertainment of the players.

Anyway, I had a 13GB waiting line, so last night I tried verifying integrity of the game cache files, hoping to make the steam update realize that I already had everything I needed. It was taking a while to verify, so I left it and went to bed. I've never been told that verifying GCF's would cause Steam to connect to the internet and start re-downloading everything it needed. Thus, I've pretty much (accidentally) bitten the bullet as well, since I was sleeping as it happened.

Maybe you shouldn't verify when an update is paused on a product. My fault, but I'd still like to know if this problem can resolve itself after the Summer Sale. There's still a good GB to save if it works.

Dang, internet caps kinda suck, huh?

thametz
07-09-2011, 01:00 AM
I've never been told that verifying GCF's would cause Steam to connect to the internet and start re-downloading everything it needed.

In order for steam to properly re-verify the games cache it has to scan what is on your HDD and then compare it to the latest build on steams download servers. It checks to make sure the files you have match the server files and if not downloads what it needs... Kind of impossible to do offline ;)

Joecrazydirt
07-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Craig.

The update system is still not fixed, I'm still getting 13GB of download. (Is there a way to play the game without updating to the latest patch? As I can't even play right now.)

I'd love to help, but I'm in a very different time zone and works long hours, so I don't know if i'll be able to.

fubar4fun
07-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Not understanding why the game redownload...but whatever the patch was it broke the game. So now not just a patch download but a total reinstall....another 18GB later. Jerks!

Otto-Grainer
07-10-2011, 04:53 AM
(Is there a way to play the game without updating to the latest patch? As I can't even play right now.)
No, not so far as I've ever found, I'm afraid. This is why it's been getting a lot of attention. I think the basic worry from Steam is that letting players use an outdated version or permanent offline mode of the game opens up too much potential for piracy.

If you haven't already started the update, however you might accomplish that, you could always try running Steam in offline mode, then launch the game. This never seems to work for me or my brother, but if it does for you, then the only thing restricted is Multiplayer... and maybe Achievements.

In order for steam to properly re-verify the games cache it has to scan what is on your HDD and then compare it to the latest build on steams download servers. It checks to make sure the files you have match the server files and if not downloads what it needs... Kind of impossible to do offline ;)
Yeah, I guess I should have figured that, it kind of seems obvious now. I always hoped it would just scan, compile a list of what was redundant, then ask me later to confirm a necessary update to the game.

d3vilsadvocate
07-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Since the "don't update" function doesn't work properly, I'm wondering if you could install steam twice and use one install with buggy games like Shogun 2 in offline mode only. This way you could avoid updates completely, but you'd have to run two steam installs which could be bothersome...

Just a thought.

CraigTW
07-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Not understanding why the game redownload...but whatever the patch was it broke the game. So now not just a patch download but a total reinstall....another 18GB later. Jerks!

It shouldn't need to redownload the game, sorry about that. We're looking into why that would be the case at the moment - hopefully we'll be able to resolve that issue and stop it happening again.

Joecrazydirt
07-11-2011, 03:39 AM
It shouldn't need to redownload the game, sorry about that. We're looking into why that would be the case at the moment - hopefully we'll be able to resolve that issue and stop it happening again.

Any idea on the time frame? I'm sorta waiting for this to be fixed to be able to start playing again.

Hokum
07-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Yeah it just decided it wanted to redownload all 18 GB for me as well. Creative Assembly, figure this out or start learning some compression techniques from the console developers because your games are great but the amount of hard drive size they take up is absurd and Steam's patching process is FUBAR.

capncodex
07-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Oh my goodness. The 40% off sale brought me here... and now I'm running for the hills.

:eek:

Hokum
07-11-2011, 05:05 AM
Game is still worth it - but turn off auto-updating from now on. That's what I'll be doing, since I probably won't play online that much.

Polodox
07-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Capncodex, only a small percentage of players actually have this problem. Even on the main forums this problem wasn't reported by the majority.

Of those reported to the main forums I think there were only a few cases (before you consider that a lot realize that shogun 2 has sold a lot of copies). Practically everybody on my friends list has this game and absolutely none of them have this problem.

If you want something really weird almost all the problems in shogun 2 has happened to a minority of players. Outside a few bugs here or there the game is one the most bug free releases I have ever seen. That said when someone has issues with this game generally it is the bug jackpot like this one if you catch the drift.

Hokum
07-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Okay - I managed to fix the issue by pausing the 18 GB download, logging out of Steam, signing back in, and then hitting "play" on the paused download - the update bar then jumped immediately to show 18.6 GB out of 18.7 GB had downloaded and it just had to download another 100 MB to be ready. Still, I turned off auto-updating to be safe for now.

esbam2002
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Wonderful and yet another reason to hate the online downloads....if I am lucky at night I can get 200+ kb/s but in the day my connection sucks at 20 kb/s....this is going to be very annoying if I can expect nothing but constant updates that keep me from playing the game....maybe steam should start taking into consideration needs and abilities of their customers. Personally as well I don't care about their summer whatever....OK well once I get this thing reinstalled I'll just keep it in offline mode as much as possible.

ST0MPA
07-12-2011, 12:41 AM
offline mode, turn off auto update, yeah good luck with that

esbam2002
07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Guess I am lucky....the game launched for me, but crashed after the first battle....at least I got one battle....

jasonr
07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
This is something we are looking into, though we haven't had any luck duplicating the issue in-house yet. I've sent a few people here a private message asking if they would like help run a test to generate some additional logging. If anyone else would like to help, feel free to email me at jasonr@valvesoftware.com

Otto-Grainer
07-13-2011, 06:03 AM
There's one interesting trick I found that might save you all a good 80-99% of the download.

[1]: Firstly, start up Steam normally, if it hasn't been already.

[2]: Then turn off your internet connection through your operating system, so you aren't online at all. If you did it right, Steam should - after a moment - say "NO CONNECTION" at the bottom middle of the window, and you should obviously not be able to see the Steam Store.

[3]: Go to your games list where Shogun 2 is located, right click the item and press 'Play Game'. A window should pop up saying "Preparing to launch Total War: Shogun 2..."

[4]: With any luck, the window should stay there. If you leave it and go into your 'Downloads' page on the Steam window, (near the 'Search' box at the top left) you should see all the Bytes required for the rest of the update to start rising leap by leap, slowly increasing to however much you need for the completion of the download. Since Steam is still setup in online mode, just with no connection, it is trying to reach the files from the default location to launch the game. This is Steam registering and recognizing each file that you already had when you installed the game. It is not downloading anything; that's impossible. It should show a "0 BYTES" transfer rate in the 'Downloads' page, but it is technically loading up your game from the ground up. It should also "transfer" a lot faster than your average "real" download speed, but this supposedly depends on your hard drive speed, since it's just that and the CPU doing the scanning.

[5]: A window might occasionally pop up with the error message "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request." or possibly "This game is currently unavailable". If this message halts the "fake download" progression of the game, just hit 'Play Game...' again and it should resume where it left off. I had to repeat this multiple times on one game, (which wasn't Shogun 2 in this case) but it seemed to pop up unpredictably and also increase as the loading advanced further and further to its end. Eventually, likely before it gets to the finish, you will not be able to resume the loading at all and will be immediately stopped by the error message if you keep trying to 'Play' the game.

[6]: At this point, it meant I had to turn my network back on and actually download the rest of the way, which should only be a very small percentage of the whole, like maybe 100 MBs. In one case, it was as little as 6 MBs. If the rest is not the actual core update of the game, then it is likely the necessary, sometimes personalized files required for your specific registered Steam account and profile.

That's it. This may have become unnecessary by most people now. Steam just had an update recently which has jumped my "00/18" GB download progress on Shogun 2 to "16/18". The above method didn't work for it this way, at least not on my end, so I'm hoping the extra 02 GB's is the actual development tools patch I have to download.

Keeping in mind that it is very likely because this update affects the actual archive files wherein the game is stored that it's having problematic outcomes for you members. In any event, I'm sorry to make this guide so dragged out, if it's any use at all. I just thought I should post it after I fiddled around with my account. And it seems to work just as well on every other Steam game you have the files for as well. So far, it's saved me over ten days of cap usage. Good luck!
Okay - I managed to fix the issue by pausing the 18 GB download, logging out of Steam, signing back in, and then hitting "play" on the paused download - the update bar then jumped immediately to show 18.6 GB out of 18.7 GB had downloaded and it just had to download another 100 MB to be ready. Still, I turned off auto-updating to be safe for now.
Yeah, I think getting it to play is tricking it to memorizing where the files are again. Definitely try Hokum's method first.

dturtle1
07-14-2011, 08:29 AM
hi guys, i had a similar issue with the ikko ikki patch... it would download the patch, this one was 2gb but it varies and then when try 2 run the game after validating files.. it would re download the patch, tho a little bit smaller...

i also got the restarted download for sims 3 complete pack, 16gb, screw that i said and backed up my steam apps reinstalled steam and it fixed it ( it broke again tho,, it seems itunes screws with steam :(.. in the end i uninstalled all question able programs that ran on startup, ( looking at u avast :( ), itunes only broke it when ran the genius thing

The moral is though if get weird patches, stop and restart steam, if that doesnt fix it then backup steamapps and just reinstall steam...watching out for conflicting programs...theres a listin steam support FAQ
good luck

Spongeroberto
07-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Just an hour ago I could play this just fine.

Now I try to play it says it's updating. Fair enough, I think, so I just browse some forums in the mean time.

20 minutes later I check again and the patch isn't done yet. The download bar says it's only about a 5th there. I click that because I suspect my download rate must be really low and what do I see? A 18,448.2 MB patch??

Turns out steam completely redownloads this game instead of applying a patch. Good going there. Not sure whose fault that is but if it really can't be helped you could at least warn people when stuff like this happens so that people with monthly volume limits (like me) can choose to ignore the update.

Now before anyone tells me it's my own fault for enabling auto-update; there is a clear difference between a 350MB patch every couple of weeks for L4D and redownloading 18GB worth of data (of which I'm sure only a very minor part was actually changed). I'll probably reach my cap halfway through the month and go on with smallband because of this.

/rant

What I'm asking is this:
1) will this get fixed anytime soon or will I have to waste another 18GB of traffic when the next patch hits?
2) can I turn off auto-update and keep the game as is, making sure future updates just leave me alone and let me play the game?

gorpfelch
07-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Here we go yet again.

armabe
07-28-2011, 06:31 AM
My update was 190.1 MB. Did you have any mods or something applied?

EngineerDave
07-28-2011, 06:46 AM
Another 14GB update. :(

Spongeroberto
07-28-2011, 06:48 AM
no mods whatsoever. I did however defragment the game cache through steam (hoping that it would improve load times a bit)

Daren
07-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Its weird some people have to re-download the whole game. I bought it retail and that's never happened to me before, usually just the small patch files when its updated.

Kradath
07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
My update was 190.1 MB. Did you have any mods or something applied?

For me as well, most likely due to the new patching valve implemented, just strange that some again have to redownload the whole game?

Mr. Moe
07-28-2011, 07:39 AM
My update is also 190 MB.

Midazolam
07-28-2011, 07:44 AM
here goes another 19g download process...

Atomic Hamster
07-28-2011, 08:12 AM
190Mb for me too. Guess it's to impliment the new DLC pack.

PhaZZeCL
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
190 mb here!

Mr_Eon
07-28-2011, 11:40 AM
On a political note, it's time that those of you on download caps threw off the shackles of your slavemasters and joined the revolution as free men!

In the near past it seemed as if we were leaving download caps behind forever and moving into a new age of abundance for all users - sadly some sadsack ISPs who don't want to invest properly in their infrastructure are bringing them back. There is also a filthy economic vector in the communicability of this foul disease - here in Canada some ISPs are also cable TV channel owners and download caps are their way of trying to ensure you can't get your entertainment goodness from Netflicks and similar vendors instead of paying premium pay per view prices on their channels.

Take a stand people - boycott ISPS with download caps!

Profane69
07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Mr_Eon although i agree with you on the isp boycott thing sometimes the options simply are between evil no1 and evil no2 and you try to pick the less evil one :S (kinda like voting for political parties ain't it)

Not having internet really isn't an option nowadays.

On topic i think the reason for big downloads was that steam just replaces the files that get changed during patches so if a big file gets modified even if it is just a few pixels the entire file would get re downloaded ? Not 100% sure on that though.

Col. Hamilton
07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
190.1 mb's for the update, although I did have to redownload 6 gigs after I restored arma 2 from a backup only a month old, no mods... But, an update that others said was small and for some reason was huge for me.

I bet it gets fixed in a steam update soon

Toeofdoom
07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm stuck with a fantastic 14GB download too, no mods, very little in the way of anything that I could possibly have done to cause it. To be honest, this has happened enough now that I would've expected some sort of progress. :mad:

Mencelus
07-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I had a short download yesterday, maybe 190MB.

However, still didn't fix my problem and I still can't actually play Shogun2. So...WTF? How come I STILL can't play the game I have? Why is this good for me?

AiMiA
07-29-2011, 07:40 AM
im in the same boat as you Mencelus , "incomplete game" error.

but it only happened to me after i baught the latest DLC :( , im building a new rig soonish , so im gona leave this game till thn , no chance im gona format just to get 1 game working (not sure tht would work anyways)

Peter69
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi guys.

A month ago i dled a 8 gig patch and as of a week ago im forced to dl 13 gigs.

Any ideas?

clad iron
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
my game did the full re install with the latest patch got stuck at 99% but i got it to download by stopping the update and resuming it a number of times

just put it here if any 1 else has had the same problem :)

daelin4
08-05-2011, 06:11 PM
If you guys want to prevent redownloading everything, you can copy all your game files elsewhere. If the files happen to magically disappear then at least Steam will redownload any updates that's since been released.

Metaldogz
08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
If you guys want to prevent redownloading everything, you can copy all your game files elsewhere. If the files happen to magically disappear then at least Steam will redownload any updates that's since been released.
I bought the discs so why should i have to do that ?