PDA

View Full Version : Charged wrong price for game?

Slychocobo
07-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Im curious if anyone else has had this problem, Since its the summer sale and HOM&M is on sale I decided to pick-up Dark Messiah for 1.50..

Just noticed that on the confirmation email I was actually charged 4.49!

Okay its only 5 but that's not the point. I've opened a ticket with support and by all laws and logic I should get a prompt refund but thats a hassle.

So if your buying games.. Double-check the price BEFORE hitting submit :)

I'll let you good folk know if Steam.. you know, follow the law and refund the difference haha

DJGhost
07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Are you sure you didn't wind up with the whole Heroes V pack instead?

Slychocobo
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
:D, No Im *very* sure that's not the case, the transaction history is quite clear.

1 Jul 2011
Purchase
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (WR)

YouAreStrelok
07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
:D, No Im *very* sure that's not the case, the transaction history is quite clear.

1 Jul 2011
Purchase

Still worth it imo

Etherfast
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Of course it does, but like (s)he said, it's a matter of principle.
Support will check your ticket and hopefully it all works out in your favor.

Good luck,

Slychocobo
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Agreed, they charged me the wrong price the "value" of the game is irrelevent.

Its He and thanks. Im sure it'll be fine. Just wanted to make other folk aware that its a possible issue so double-check :)

DJGhost
07-01-2011, 05:26 PM

1 Jul 2011
Purchase

OK, that was the only thing I could think of. I hope they fix their mistake.

Still worth it imo

1) That is a matter of opinion.

2) Even if that were fact, it is still very wrong for them to do something like that.

YouAreStrelok
07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
OK, that was the only thing I could think of. I hope they fix their mistake.

1) That is a matter of opinion.

2) Even if that were fact, it is still very wrong for them to do something like that.

I think it's universally acknowledged that Dark Messiah is worth at least a first born son. 5 euros is a steal.

wexer9
07-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I saw the price of that game jump around a couple times today, so I just ended up picking up the Heroes Pack. :)

NaCl
07-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I think it's universally acknowledged that Dark Messiah is worth at least a first born son. 5 euros is a steal.

Daughter - Maybe. Son - Never.:p

Lazychip
07-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Daughter - Maybe. Son - Never.:p

Haha.

(ZOMG! I can give 3 rep! :D)

wexer9
07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Haha.

(ZOMG! I can give 3 rep! :D)

I can give 5! :eek:

afarnsworth
07-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Where did you see the 1.50 price? Our records show the price wasn't lowered to 1.50 until about an hour after your purchase.

EDIT: sorry if I implied I didn't believe the OP. While I am confident that the game page and cart displayed the right price on the store, I'm wondering if there was some other place (a news post or pop up message or something) that displayed the wrong price.

Metro
07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
As Paul Harvey would say: And now you know... the rest of the story!

nightside187
07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Where did you see the 1.50 price? Our records show the price wasn't lowered to 1.50 until about an hour after your purchase.

Golden post.

Zaragorne
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I saw:
Counter Strike Source for 6.29 USD
and
Borderlands 120% Off (It actually said - money on the cost)

Slychocobo
07-02-2011, 09:02 AM
So, the price was lowered once at the start of the sale..

Then lowered *again* after that an hour later?.. What??

Seems like a really weird way to run a sale, but all I have in front of me is a screenshot of the game being on the summer sale for 1.50 and I've been charged 4.49.

Not really sure what to think now, other than be kinda ticked off that seems like its implied that I am being dishonest or something :(

stella artois
07-02-2011, 09:12 AM
So, the price was lowered once at the start of the sale..

Then lowered *again* after that an hour later?.. What??

Seems like a really weird way to run a sale, but all I have in front of me is a screenshot of the game being on the summer sale for 1.50 and I've been charged 4.49.

Not really sure what to think now, other than be kinda ticked off that seems like its implied that I am being dishonest or something :(

Alot of games are on a set sale price for the duration of this promotion. Every day a limited selection (around 10-20) of these games (and non-sale games) are reduced further for 24 hours only, a daily deal.

You are either claiming ignorance of the price at the time or that it was on sale for 1:50 already. He is claiming that the Steam Store could not have allocated the discount before the set time and as your purchase was before this daily deal initiation you were aware of the price you bought it for.

So the question is, did you purchase it before 18:00 (I assume your based in UK) on 01/07/11? And if so, are you claiming the Steam Store was stating the price as 1:50?

Slychocobo
07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Alot of games are on a set sale price for the duration of this promotion. Every day a limited selection (around 10-20) of these games (and non-sale games) are reduced further for 24 hours only, a daily deal.

You are either claiming ignorance of the price at the time or that it was on sale for 1:50 already. He is claiming that the Steam Store could not have allocated the discount before the set time and as your purchase was before this daily deal initiation you were aware of the price you bought it for.

So the question is, did you purchase it before 18:00 (I assume your based in UK) on 01/07/11? And if so, are you claiming the Steam Store was stating the price as 1:50?

I purchased it for the sole-reason it was on the Daily deal. I've an email from Steam that's timestamped at 18:24, which is after it went on the Daily Deal and should have been 1.50

http://imgbin.org/index.php?page=image&id=4369

gingerbill
07-02-2011, 10:31 AM
i'm sure if you are correct they can easily check it and will refund you , send in a support ticket.

Slychocobo
07-02-2011, 11:16 AM
i'm sure if you are correct they can easily check it and will refund you , send in a support ticket.

Yea I've already done that.. Still waiting for a reply then one of the Valve staff seemed to suggest I was a liar x.x

Wasnt very nice.. :(

Mokas
07-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I think that at the begining of the deal, Dark Messiah cost about 4.5€ if you wanted buy it individual.
I checked the pack and I decide dont buy it, but 1 or 2 hours later I checked the pack again and I saw it for 2.5€.
Im not sure about that but I think this happened. If I see Dark Messiah for 2.5€ I dont doubt about buy it.
Sorry my english ;)

DJGhost
07-03-2011, 02:25 AM
So was this resolved?

Niji89
07-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Dont think OP is too bothered but this is typical. Buying something only to have it lowered in price hours later.

Slychocobo
07-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Resolved? Not really..

The Support ticket I submitted clearly wasn't even read as I was panned off with some copy and paste guff about "how we cant give sale prices outside of sale times"

Just in passing I noticed the price of the game in the pack is now again 4.49.. All in all more than a bit weird! Perhaps the 1.50 price listed was a mistake, but that still doesn't change the fact I was charged the wrong price! x.x

As for if I'm bothered, well its only 3 but, its the damn well principle of the thing. Its an extremely dishonest practice to label thing one price and charge another, in fact its down-right illegal in the UK and Europe (and I'm sure the same stands for the US) where the lowest listed price applies.

But it seems like my options about this are quiet limited, what do I do? Submit another ticket? That worked so well the first time Im not sure if its worth the time or effort.

If I issue a charge-back (as in this case in any other event would be the correct step to perform) Steam will simply lock my account and I'll lose access to thousands of pounds of games.

So do I small-claims court/sue? For 3 I would be embarrassed to waste a courts time with such a matter.

*Sigh* I honestly started this thread thinking "Oh the problem will be resolved sharpish but, hey to save anyone else the trouble I'll mention that the payment system might be a bit screwy" But now after all this it makes me wonder what would happen if it wasn't just 3. This event has really opened my eyes now that I've sat and thought about it.

Steam do hold you over a barrel to a degree, their service really is "Their way or the high-way" and this event has given me serious pause over the level of power and control Steam actually has since they are judge, jury and executioner. (Okay, that sounds a *bit* mellow-dramatic but I really feel it has a ring of truth)

So.. I dont know anymore. Really will have to consider both sides when using Steam in the future. And if your buying games in the sales... Double check the price at Checkout :P Otherwise it might be a lot more than 3 :P

ThisLegend
07-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like what you did is bought it on the first or third days of the daily sales, after which it was not the sale price. If you leave it in your basket at 1.50 and the sales change (at 6:00pm BST I believe, but I'm not sure as I work then) then you will be charged the full price and should see that as you checkout.

EDIT: Never mind me, I saw your earlier post.

Slychocobo
07-03-2011, 03:27 AM
As I've shown before ThisLegend, I bought the game on sale just after 6pm when the sale started.

Xenofreak
07-03-2011, 03:29 AM
PM BurtonJ if you really did purchase it at the right time and he'll probably be able to help you out.

Slychocobo
07-03-2011, 03:31 AM
PM BurtonJ if you really did purchase it at the right time and he'll probably be able to help you out.

I'll give it a try, but since I've already had a Steam developer imply that Im a liar.. Still angry at that.

Xenofreak
07-03-2011, 03:37 AM
I'll give it a try, but since I've already had a Steam developer imply that Im a liar.. Still angry at that.

He's saying something might have gone through the system before the rest of it was changed, 'causing you to see the price before it was actually implemented. Try not to be so defensive. Valve isn't going to come onto the forums and make things up about their users lieing.

DarkPhoenix966
07-03-2011, 03:38 AM
If you get something for cheaper, I would NEVER admit that :P Because it's their fault the price dropped!

Planeforger
07-03-2011, 03:45 AM
That is kind of weird - can anyone cofirm that the game was shown at the cheaper price within the first half hour/hour of the daily deal going live?

In any case, the best you can hope for is a total refund. Support can't pay you the difference, or swap your purchase over to deals that no longer exist.

Viperion
07-03-2011, 04:04 AM
atleast they arent stealing and ripping people off like EA is doing with their EADM To Origin change.