PDA

View Full Version : Complete Pack Register on Origin?

Cronq
07-03-2011, 08:31 AM
My wife is interested in Sims 3 complete. I was wondering if the Sims 3 complete pack from Steam registers on Origin? Also, does the Steam version of Sims perform just fine in off-line mode?

Thanks!

SmileyBarry
07-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Yep, it works fine in offline mode and you can register it on Origin. Just register the serial keys you get from the base game and each expansion.

I don't own the game on Steam but logically it should work in offline mode and the serials you get from Steam are standard Sims 3 serials, so like retail copies you can use them on Origin.

spyrochaete
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
SmileyBarry, don't be so quick to answer if you haven't tried it yourself. EA sold Sims 3 on its EADM services which is the precursor to Origin, and the serials are non-transferrable to Steam. Likewise, my retail serials do not work on Steam, though I haven't tried on Origin (and don't care to).

Furthermore, there are specific versions of the game patches, one for disk versions and one for downloadable versions.

Cronq, may I ask why you want to transfer the license to Origin? What's the benefit?

SmileyBarry
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
SmileyBarry, don't be so quick to answer if you haven't tried it yourself. EA sold Sims 3 on its EADM services which is the precursor to Origin, and the serials are non-transferrable to Steam. Likewise, my retail serials do not work on Steam, though I haven't tried on Origin (and don't care to).

Furthermore, there are specific versions of the game patches, one for disk versions and one for downloadable versions.

Cronq, may I ask why you want to transfer the license to Origin? What's the benefit?

Nearly no retail titles or those bought on other digital services, apart from a specific list of titles and some older ones, can be registered on Steam while every EA title since The Sims 3 can be registered on Origin, thus your argument is nil. I bought other EA titles on Steam and managed to register them on Origin, plus my retail copy of The Sims 3 was successfully registered on Origin. Add that to the fact others could register their Steam copies successfully, (just look around the forum) and you can conclude it will work.

spyrochaete
07-04-2011, 12:04 PM
OK thanks for the clarification. I'll try registering some of my EA disk games on Origin for fun later on.

Cronq
07-04-2011, 03:32 PM
My purpose for wanting to do this is that my wife is not a gamer (owns no games), and I would like to keep as many games on my Steam & Origin account as possible. However, I am always logged into Steam and if the game can register and download from Origin than that would be my preference.

Cronq
07-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Nearly no retail titles or those bought on other digital services, apart from a specific list of titles and some older ones, can be registered on Steam while every EA title since The Sims 3 can be registered on Origin, thus your argument is nil. I bought other EA titles on Steam and managed to register them on Origin, plus my retail copy of The Sims 3 was successfully registered on Origin. Add that to the fact others could register their Steam copies successfully, (just look around the forum) and you can conclude it will work.

Not completely true: I own Crysis 1 & Crysis Warhead, Mass Effect 1 and those will not register on Origin. It seems to be a hit or miss.

verkinix
07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I registered all 8 games from the Steam sale pack with Origin without problem. They all show up on both platforms. Installing from Origin as opposed to steam allows you to play without the Steam launcher ever being activated. Both versions of Sims 3 + expansions have some Securom with I believe 5 simultaneous activation limits (I think there is a revoke ability somewhere, but haven't looked into that yet).

Playing the game installed from Origin doesn't require Origin to be active. I've been able to play my Steam Key of Deadspace on my download from Origin and Origin never pops up asking to launch. The game just runs off the HDD like normal. I haven't tried this with Sims 3 yet, but it should work the same way. Oddly, I can launch Sims 3 from Origin which then launches Steam. It kinda makes a mess of my memory, so I typically dont do it that way. I'm fine with running Sims 3 through Steam.

ZtrydR
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Both versions of Sims 3 + expansions have some Securom with I believe 5 simultaneous activation limits (I think there is a revoke ability somewhere, but haven't looked into that yet).

The steam version of the Sims 3 does not use Securom only steams own DRM.

verkinix
07-05-2011, 06:08 PM
The steam version of the Sims 3 does not use Securom only steams own DRM.

Really? Nice. I remember seeing "SECUROM" on the Steam page at one point in time. Hopefully it's removed. I'm pretty sure Origin still uses Securom as it uses other DRM schemes on other games that I've installed from there.

ZtrydR
07-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Really? Nice. I remember seeing "SECUROM" on the Steam page at one point in time. Hopefully it's removed. I'm pretty sure Origin still uses Securom as it uses other DRM schemes on other games that I've installed from there.

It was at one point on the steam pages but was later taken off.
As far as I know steam is the only download service that provides the Sims without the added DRM.

ebevan91
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
So if I buy Generations, can I register the key on Origin, and download it from there? I don't want to pay $40 for it on Origin when I can get it for $13 on here.

All of my Sims games are registered on Origin. I'm assuming I can do this because I did it with Direct2Drive. I bought the core game and one expansion from the EA store, and 2 other expansions from Direct2Drive, and just registered them on Origin.

SmileyBarry
07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
So if I buy Generations, can I register the key on Origin, and download it from there? I don't want to pay $40 for it on Origin when I can get it for $13 on here.

All of my Sims games are registered on Origin. I'm assuming I can do this because I did it with Direct2Drive. I bought the core game and one expansion from the EA store, and 2 other expansions from Direct2Drive, and just registered them on Origin.

Yes, but Steam won't let you buy any Sims 3 DLC without owning The Sims 3 base game on Steam.

R4NC0R
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
when EA switched from the download manager to the predessesor to origin, I lost all my battlefield 2 expansions as well as battlefield 2142 and my pre-order Spore.

I have since refused to have anything to do with EA at all. Keep in mind just because their system works right now, doesnt mean it will work tomorrow and you could end up being out of hundreds of dollars (I bought all my titles new) in the time it takes them to switch over to the next best thing...

iuzbob
07-15-2011, 05:09 AM
I can't register my Sims 3 complete pack serial keys on the origin downloader. It always says this game only registers on "www.thesims3.com" and can't be registered on origin.

Any ideas? Anyone really able to register it on origin?

SmileyBarry
07-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I registered my retail copy on TheSims3.com and it popped up on Origin, so maybe registering it there will register it on Origin.

iuzbob
07-15-2011, 06:41 AM
I registered it also at thesims3.com but it doesnt show at my origin.

SmileyBarry
07-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I registered it also at thesims3.com but it doesnt show at my origin.

Did you restart Origin?

iuzbob
07-15-2011, 06:58 AM
yes .. .and same email-adress .. but no sims3 ...

nopistons420
07-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I can't register my Sims 3 complete pack serial keys on the origin downloader. It always says this game only registers on "www.thesims3.com" and can't be registered on origin.

Any ideas? Anyone really able to register it on origin?

i get the same thing; im pretty doubtful anyone actually registered this on origins

NINJ4_R4BBID
08-27-2011, 06:28 PM
You should try activating on http://activate.ea.com (worked for me with retail TS3 keys).

sambc1982
08-28-2011, 04:41 AM
There's a thread around here somewhere explaining that you have to go to another address to do it, I've done it successfully as well. Can't remember the address off the top of my head, but poke around this forum, it's here, and it's official in that someone was referred to it by EA Tech Support.