PDA

View Full Version : intrigued, but... (demo is needed, I think!)

Friendliest
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
...well I'll be blunt: the game looks graphically Simple. not that that in itself = "do not buy" but I am accustomed to getting such games during sales, in the $1-3 range, not $6-7+.

I am intrigued by the "plan then execute" gameplay, although it would have to be something really special for me to be interested in MP.

not sure what I'm really in for, here. there's not really any coverage in the blurb about what these squaddies can do for u. do u equip them w/ different weapons? tools, "off-hand" items, etc.? different classes: "grunt", "medic", "saboteur", etc.?

I'm into games like Silent Storm or Fallout "Tactics", so, is this a sure winner for me?

any insight would be appreciated. TY.

P.S. charging extra for access to the soundtrack? O_o u should just get access to it automatically. (and I'm assuming there is some encryption or obfuscation in place to prevent the often-trivial procedure of me just going in to the game folder and grabbing the files myself?)

Darkunov
07-04-2011, 12:09 PM
This guy has a 30 min review/gameplay footage of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJrUY27O0Y

Freemind
07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
first, watch the video, Darkunov posted, It really lets you know everything about the game.

Now to answer your questions.
Graphic has nothing to do with price its just what the developer has focused to put his mind on. If you look at games like Hydrophobia, it looks nice like hell but the gameplay is lacking. Frozen Synapse has choosen a graphics option which is scaled down so you really can focus on the tactics, I'd say.

There are different classes of soldiers, and they only cary one weapon each. Its quite long to explain how this work, so I again recomend you to watch the video.

I haven't played any of the games you mention, but I use to compare it to the S.W.A.T or Rainbow six, or the "planing before mission" phase of those games, where you planed exactly how you'd go into the house and rescue the hostage, hoping the enemies would stay in place. This game is kinda that planing phase only. And then automatic see how it went.

MrMcGarnical
07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm into games like Silent Storm or Fallout "Tactics", so, is this a sure winner for me?

Speaking as someone who loved Fallout Tactics back in the day, I can say that Frozen Synapse is an excellent game.

As others have said, check out the YouTube videos, and also read some reviews (start with metacritic).

RenegadeShade
07-04-2011, 07:17 PM
P.S. charging extra for access to the soundtrack? O_o u should just get access to it automatically. (and I'm assuming there is some encryption or obfuscation in place to prevent the often-trivial procedure of me just going in to the game folder and grabbing the files myself?)

I dont see the problem? 95% of the games soundtracks aren't free

Nuke54
07-04-2011, 08:41 PM
That video you linked convinced me to buy the game.

And sub Cynical Brit for that matter.

Friendliest
07-04-2011, 09:03 PM
thanks for the responses, all. video pretty much explains it. it looks cool.

and now that I understand it a little better, I feel confident saying "if u like Frozen Synapse u will like..."
Silent Storm definitely worth a checkout if u have not played it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCYiv-SRDM&feature=related

relatively costly these days only cuz it's hard to find. ...watching that video makes me want to dig out my copy!
fully destructible terrain. Note FYI the guy who made this video appears to be "soloing" but normally you get a 6-person squad whose composition you can choose from various classes. Sniper, soldier, scout, engineer, etc.

I definitely recall the moments where there is a big explosion and things slow down for a few moments as your computer tries to catch up. It's just a reflection of the intensity of the game, though, and most modern PCs (/graphics cards) would probably handle it 100% better.

Fallout Tactics also quite similar but realtime not turn-based.

...and then of course u have the X-Com series, but of course you've all played that! ;)

I dont see the problem? 95% of the games soundtracks aren't free

my personal outlook is that, all things considered*, it's a bit nervy to promote an "unknown" artist attached to an "unknown" game as a "special" aspect in and of itself, to the extent that you would charge extra for it. (and having now heard a bit of the music, in the review video, I stand by that as my initial reaction. ...speaking even as someone who likes "that kind of music".)

(*there are paragraphs - if not pages - of preamble that fall under this qualifier, and I won't even scratch the surface here, but, for starters: if the only place you can hear this music is in the game, then how would you know if it's worth paying extra for, until you've already bought the game?)

and as I said, if the music files are actually something that the intrepid user can dig out on their own, well, then it's bordering on insulting.

I'll let you know, as it would appear I'm headed for buying the game. ...the non-sountrack version. ;)