PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help requested!

MisoStupid
07-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I seriously need advice. I'm only going with frys because its local, and my flight to another country is happening within a few days so I need it before I leave (few days so I need it today, tommorow etc SUPER CLOSE on tight schedule) + the warranty that Fry's offers is pretty good.

Note: This laptop will mainly be used for school as I for sure will be typing up a lot of essays, making nice and presentable presentations and other media; I am using this laptop for my own little media and college apps etc. in the next two years with some video editing and VERY minor gaming. I would mainly get a GPU for Photoshop and After effects b/c I believe I will not find time in my coming Junior year of Highschool which I want to make easier.

My choices so far are (All at Frys.com/In store): (budget is X. Depends on functions, durability, software and hardware).

Macbook Pro 13 " - 2011 i5 Model - http://www.frys.com/product/6538313?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Why I chose this? Disagree/Agree below with comments please: OS and durability. Since Macbook Pros have OS X on them, the software suite is obviously easy to use in order to create amazing presentations plus the chiclet, backlit keyboard is a BIG PLUS in my book. Overall the macbook pro looks sexy to me but the pricetag... ugh. Apple really gives off the you get what you pay for message. Durability is obvious. coming from the aluminum unibody design.even though the graphics may be integrated and that it may match the HP DV6’s specs, it has more optimization for OS X, which allows some rendering to finish faster. Also useful since I’m going to be using an iPhone soon, meaning itunes does work better. I know some would say windows is the exact same but trust me… its not.

Lenovo Y560 15.6” – 2011 i7 - http://www.frys.com/product/6449002?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Why I chose this? Disagree/Agree below with comments please: Mobile Powerhouse. This would run practically anything I threw at it. It’s cheap and supposedly Lenovo is known for its keyboards, comment if I’m wrong. I don’t particularly like its looks as it looks like it’s a piece of plastic that is very fragile lmao.

HP DV6-6150US 15.6” – 2011 i5 - http://www.frys.com/product/6670974?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Why I chose this? Disagree/agree below with comments please: Supposed durability for performance as HP mentions the build standards of this laptop meet US navy and USAF requirements. Includes beats audio which I obviously see as a plus, listening to a lot of music. The i5 processor would run everything good im guessing if not at a decent rate. However, a big minus to this laptop is that it has integrated graphics. I know the macbook pro has the same but a lot of stuff is more optimized on OS X.

DELL XPS-15 L502X 15.6” – 2011 2nd Gen Sandybridge i7 - http://www.frys.com/product/6661324?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Why I chose this? Disagree/agree below with comments please: High end mobile powerhouse. Will run anything possible. Again still has windows so I’m still leaning towards mac but OMFG. The specs could blow anything away. Also has JBL speakers which are better than beats in clarity and treble but not bass. Backlit/Chiclet keyboard also a BIG PLUS.

Can anyone provide an indepth review of all these laptops/suggest more from FRYS?

URGENT AS I WILL BE LEAVING THIS WEEK! WOULD LIKE RESPONSES SOON. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Goldendog
07-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I recommend you check out Notebookreview.com

They have a forum section titled "which laptop should I buy".
That community spends a lot more time comparing notebooks than I think you would find here. I do not use a Mac so I cannot comment on them.

I like HP laptops for their durability. I have purchased HP and Acer systems and HP is so much better than an Acer which is spec'd above an HP at a lower price. I have had to RMA 3 Acer Laptops. I bought 6 Lonovo Desktops but they're built cheap. They work for an office, but I would not use them as a main system. Dell used to be cheap, but I haven't bought a Dell in awhile.

The last Dell I had (as a laptop) needed a Hard drive replacement. Dell paid for it, but still... If you're traveling that would suck.

So I would pick the HP or the Dell. Like I said, I think dell has gotten better and if it has better specs I might take a chance on it. HP for certain.

Don't just go off of my opinion though. I am a Desktop guru; laptops I can do, but I don't know them as well.

MisoStupid
07-05-2011, 12:02 PM
@Goldendog Thanks for the input, I'll keep it in consideration. I was sort of aiming towards the Dell for the specs but yes, in the past I have also had a desktop by them. The Hard drive and processor both failed rendering the device useless as I had no warranty. I later got 2 hps which I am using to this day only failing due to cheap mobos. I still don't know if the same holds true to laptops; I'm a complete noob which is why I'm asking the forums.

MisoStupid
07-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Bump? Still need help.

Kuytre
07-05-2011, 02:26 PM
This is possibly the only time that I'd recommend a Dell, but the specs are the best.

skippy72294
07-05-2011, 02:27 PM
We have the 13" white polycarbonate Macbook and it's held up to some major abuse pretty well. I'm neutral when it comes to OS's, as long as it does what I want. For school use I'd get the Macbook, but they run hot... if you want to do some gaming then get one of the others.