PDA

View Full Version : Solar Flare Solution Discussion [Not the actual solution]

shadowray7
07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Who in their right mind would have thought of that without using a single hint?

W-
07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I didn't use a hint, but incidentally I didn't think of what they had in mind because I got an alternate solution.

Ridnarhtim
07-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah, but then, I had that with most of this game. Especially those ARG levels >.<

Shartsworth
07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Glados takes away the option of using hint. :)

Ridnarhtim
07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Glados takes away the option of using hint. :)

I believe that's a bug, a remainder from the ARG that should've been removed. I certainly was able to use hints.

Just a thought, have you reinstalled the game since then? That might help, because I just installed it again today for the ticket.

Ladicuis
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I installed it today for the ticket too, but I had no hints. Took me a while to figure out where to use the +.

Ansive
07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Damn, I knew I needed a triple wind up. I just couldn't figure out more than two.
Solution was pretty sweet.

FreakyFeet
07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
That was a fun level. It took some time until I got the idea of getting it to run over the + block more than once. I also ended up with one more sign than I needed, that's rare.

NiNJA-LOKi
07-06-2011, 04:09 PM
someone can tell what is the function of the + ??

Ridnarhtim
07-06-2011, 04:18 PM
someone can tell what is the function of the + ??

Speeds up the block that rolls over it.

G.Lecter
07-06-2011, 04:18 PM
someone can tell what is the function of the + ??Increases the cube speed... ;) [Edit: Ninja'd]

Enjoyed the new level a lot, I wish there were more puzzles involving the speed signs...
Completed it with a spare sign too.

Tiz0c
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Hmm, interesting game but I'm stuck on the 3rd tutorial level, seems it's not loading or something. I just have a giant red exclamation marl in the center of my screen where it appears a stage should be. :(

NiNJA-LOKi
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
i got it! thx for the help

kalirion
07-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I give up. Yes I know I could google the solution, but I don't want to cheat. Someday I'll get it on my own, someday. But not today, and not tomorrow. It's not like an extra ticket will really let me win the lottery, and I already got all the prizes I wanted and some I didn't.

Psamathos
07-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Hmm, interesting game but I'm stuck on the 3rd tutorial level, seems it's not loading or something. I just have a giant red exclamation marl in the center of my screen where it appears a stage should be. :(

Verify game cache?

Psamathos
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I give up. Yes I know I could google the solution, but I don't want to cheat. Someday I'll get it on my own, someday. But not today, and not tomorrow. It's not like an extra ticket will really let me win the lottery, and I already got all the prizes I wanted and some I didn't.

If you want a tip, here's one piece of the puzzle:

↻⇩
⇩+↻
⇨⇧

Kaliss
07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I finally got it with no hints after about 2 hrs of working on it.

banished_one
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
how do you even have hints, mine didn't have any.

Also lame puzzle overall imo since the key piece is the one you're not told how it works.

Kaliss
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
how do you even have hints, mine didn't have any.

Also lame puzzle overall imo since the key piece is the one you're not told how it works.

It takes about 2 seconds to figure out how it works though. You just stick it on the path of one of the cubes and try it out.

banished_one
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
it takes much longer than than 2 seconds to figure out how it how really works

dvdlesher
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Well thanks to this challenge, I got the "clueless" achievement. Not sure if this is sarcasm or actually an "achievement"....

collin_twotribes
07-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I didn't use a hint, but incidentally I didn't think of what they had in mind because I got an alternate solution.

And what's that?

jimnms
07-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I also don't have hints. I made a copy of the game directory, uninstalled and reinstalled, and still no hints. I did a compare of the two directories and they are identical.

EDIT: Ok, I finally beat it, and after I beat it GlaDOS said something. I had some music going, so I didn't hear what she said. I replayed it, but now she doesn't say anything. The hints are there now too.

Ridnarhtim
07-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Maybe it's to do with whether you beat the 'actual challenge' levels?

hesselTwoTribes
07-11-2011, 04:38 AM
About the hints:

We decided to always trigger GLaDOS in the solar flare level for two reasons: the first is that all players have a semi-secret method to always trigger GLaDOS and unlock the Actual Challenges (the other levels have a random chance to trigger GLaDOS).

The second reason is that we wanted to make the achievement a little more challenging by disabling the hints and, as a side effect, make it a little easier for all those players who invested their time during the Portal 2 ARG (since they've already unlocked the Actual Challenges, GLaDOS won't be triggered and the hints will remain active).

About the signs left:

Good for you! You don't have to find the solution we provide, it's okay to solve it differently. In fact, we recognize it by giving you an achievement for it. But, I have to admit, we tried to make each level have only one solution and it wasn't the right approach. In the future we'll try to design our puzzles (or games even) differently :)

Also, you guys are way too smart :eek: