PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to create an infinite space of effects?

tees
07-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been playing The Polynomial for a while now and am really loving what can happen when you play with the correct values - however, one thing I really miss is the ability to create infinite space full of animated effects.

Instead of staying near one spot in space (The Attractor, I assume?) you would then be able to explore the Universe and watch with your jaw on the floor the many, many colorful things happen (maybe it could even randomize the arenas and animators periodically?).

Perhaps scoring and enemies would have to be off for this mode, it would be just sweet sweet exploration for hours on end (sometimes under influence of certain substances!).

X4rdas
07-26-2011, 02:30 AM
I want that too!!!!
I just want to fly around and enjoy colours (without enemys)

sarcacid
08-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Unfortunately that's not how math works: ;)

Strange attractors (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Attractor#Strange_attractor).

Dmytry
08-18-2011, 05:21 AM
Well, it is possible to make up some equations that would be possible to calculate on demand with higher level of detail near the camera, but it won't be the same thing. Current engine will lose precision if you move very very far from origin. I did always want to make something like artificial universe, full of those attractors - imagine hubble deep field but with attractors in place of galaxies - but it is not a neat mathematical structure and hence is time consuming to implement - the attractors have to be cached in billboards when far away, rendered with varying levels of precision, etc. then there's precision issue with coordinates, which is difficult to deal with in a game.