PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay Modes? Objectives? AI?

Syncourt
07-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Hey, I'm considering picking this game up while it's on sale but I have no idea what the gameplay is actually about, aside from shooting other tanks.

I watched a few videos and mostly just saw tanks spinning around each other, attacking one another. But one video did have what looked like a checkpoint mode where random checkpoints appear and everyone races to get it first.

What exactly are the gameplay modes available in this game? and what are the goals behind them?

Lastly, are there any modes that can be played co-op vs. AI? and is the AI decent? Some of the videos looked as if the AI was just running into stuff blindly, like other tanks and walls. :confused:

Premoistened
07-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Save your money.

The game is very boring, it crashes when it goes in full screen and there are very few people playing online. If you had planned on playing offline you're met with AI that is, in most cases, essentially ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

r e t a r d e d is censored. The more you know

asdfdsa
07-08-2011, 04:59 AM
i wouldnt listen to this idiot.

the game is pretty fun and not very buggy. theres not that many people online most times of the day but 5-10pm est theres usually some action.

i think that black screen u see pre is your head up your butt.:D

DarkByke
07-08-2011, 05:10 AM
It's essentially a capture the flag mode with your hovercrafts. You can shoot down enemy players to protect a capture from being made, meanwhile you have your own teammates trying to get the ball as well.

Syncourt
07-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really buying it for the multi-player, I might play it MP but I mainly want to make sure the game can provide a decent experience against AI with co-op play.

Is it possible to play co-op against AI in this CTF mode? (or better yet, in some form of co-op campaign/tournament mode?) and will the AI provide a decent match? as long as they don't go wandering around aimlessly or just run straight into each other/the walls a lot of the time, I'm pretty much happy to purchase.

bboy500
07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really buying it for the multi-player, I might play it MP but I mainly want to make sure the game can provide a decent experience against AI with co-op play.

Is it possible to play co-op against AI in this CTF mode? (or better yet, in some form of co-op campaign/tournament mode?) and will the AI provide a decent match? as long as they don't go wandering around aimlessly or just run straight into each other/the walls a lot of the time, I'm pretty much happy to purchase.

you should download the demo :D, the AI was much better then me when i played the bots xD

BeefThief
07-08-2011, 10:21 AM
When you start your own game, you can choose the difficulty level of the bots. You have a choice between 1-10 or the bots can be set as adaptive. The better you do on that setting, the harder the bots become. Even after playing this for 2 years, the bots still give me a run for my money.

Premoistened
07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
i wouldnt listen to this idiot.

the game is pretty fun and not very buggy. theres not that many people online most times of the day but 5-10pm est theres usually some action.

i think that black screen u see pre is your head up your butt.:D

Way to white knight a mediocre indie game.

Remember kids, anyone who has an opinion that differs from you is an idiot.

LikuidKrystal
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the interest Syncourt. Metal Drift is essentially a sort of mechanized soccer with the main objective being to carry the ball to the other team's goal to score. The concept is simple, but the tactics and strategy can be quite complex against human opponents. Check out metaldrift.tv (http://metaldrift.tv) for further reference.

You start out with just a couple of weapons and 1 upgrade, and as you score more points, you get more options for your tank.

The AI is decent for single player / co-op; it's not constantly running into walls, and at the high levels it can be very challenging.

I'd check out the demo and see if you like it, should answer your questions.

guitarfreak8900
07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Way to white knight a mediocre indie game.

Remember kids, anyone who has an opinion that differs from you is an idiot.

Who has a problem with different opinions? I'm sure he was calling you an idiot because you were slandering it without giving any good reasons. The fact that your game crashes going into fullscreen doesn't have anything to do with the game itself. I'm sure if you asked someone around here they could help you figure out why it's crashing on your computer.

I've been playing the game for a while and the AI isn't bad, I like to play multiplayer games against bots and it holds up pretty well, and I haven't even tried out the higher AI levels.

Whether or not the game is boring is entirely subjective, I encourage the OP to try out the demo.

Syncourt
07-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Ok, I ended up downloading and giving the demo a bash. The AI seems just fine and the game offers what I was looking for so I think I will go ahead and pick it up. :)

Although I was a little confused at how the bots could kill me with only one magazine of ammo. Where it seemed that I always run just short of the kill ammo wise, always needing at least 1 reload before finishing them off. I'm guessing that's just from an upgrade or a different weapon selection that I couldn't pick though.

I also got a crash in the demo right after the score screen (during map change?) but as long as it's not during the game (or non-existent in the full version) it should be ok. :)

Thanks again for all the info guys.

johnh10
07-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I personally think of Metal Drift as a game straight out of Tron.

Syncourt
07-11-2011, 10:47 AM
How exactly do I turn of the auto-balancing to allow all players on one team? We weren't able to play co-op against the AI at all because of this. :confused:

LikuidKrystal
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
How exactly do I turn of the auto-balancing to allow all players on one team? We weren't able to play co-op against the AI at all because of this. :confused:

Oh crap, I forgot about that. I'm going to fix that, but here's a workaround. If you start a new game, and the other guy joins, he'll be on the same team as you. So you'll have to disconnect and reset the game every round, but it should work at least.

Syncourt
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Oh crap, I forgot about that. I'm going to fix that, but here's a workaround. If you start a new game, and the other guy joins, he'll be on the same team as you. So you'll have to disconnect and reset the game every round, but it should work at least.

Ah ok then, fair enough.

One last question, is there a way to password the game when hosting a listen server? I saw the thread that shows how to get to the server config but seems as if that only works for dedicated hosts. Is there a similar file I can use to configure listen servers?

Thanks.

LikuidKrystal
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
There is currently no way to password protect your server, sorry.

Syncourt
07-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Damn that's no good. What about limiting the amount of players on a listen server?

See, the main reason I am concerned about this is that where I live most people can only handle 4 people hosting on a listen server in other games. Generally about 30kb/s upload or so max. And they're the ones with the better connections than most of us.

Where I am playing this game co-op with 4 friends already, it means that if even 1 person can join us then it would begin to stretch the bandwidth and lag out all the clients.

How much upload does this game use per player? I guess if it's lower than what most other games use then we should be safe.

Thanks for the replies btw.

LikuidKrystal
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, you can limit how many people can join, look in the server/prefs.cs file, it should be something like 'maxPlayers'.

The networking on MD is very solid, it uses the Torque engine which came from Tribes 2 if you are familiar with that game back in the day. The networking is very efficient, designed for dialup originally. Having said all that, I haven't stress-tested the bandwidth on MD, but I think it should run fine for you.

Syncourt
07-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Tyvm for your help.

So the listen servers do use the server/prefs.cs file also then (although just not the password feature). :)

Will see how she goes with max players then.