PDA

View Full Version : SAM cheaters should be DISQUALIFIED

Sicminded
07-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Title says all.

Even worse, some folks have automated the process: create free accounts, use Steam Achievement Manager (TF2, Spiral Knights), & macro wishlist. Those are free entries to the grand prize without buying/playing a game.

(In before the excuses drop (e.g. too busy, too old, have a girlfriend/boyfriend/sheep, etc.))

Pim Pandoer
07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
have a sheep bro!:cool:

MSG_Accent_BABY
07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
prove they used it

(have fun with that)

Planeforger
07-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Even worse, some folks have automated the process: create free accounts, use Steam Achievement Manager (TF2, Spiral Knights), & macro wishlist. Those are free entries to the grand prize without buying/playing a game.

That part isn't much of a problem. Multiple accounts are disqualified, are they not?

prove they used it

(have fun with that)

That's not hard if they have 0.1 playtime and unlocked all of the achievements at the same time... (assuming that you need to run games in order to use SAM)

MeemoSQR
07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
That part isn't much of a problem. Multiple accounts are disqualified, are they not?

That's not hard if they have 0.1 playtime and unlocked all of the achievements at the same time...

I'm sure if you're smart enough to create a bot to generate accounts, you're probably not dumb enough to make such a lousy mistake.

Metal_Izanagi
07-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Someone sounds upset.

MeemoSQR
07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Btw OP your chances are already super ridiculous lolwut low.. a few thousand more achievement leechers isn't going to change a dam thing.

Europhoria
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
You should threaten legal action! :rolleyes:

BigBadWolf
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
You should threaten legal action! :rolleyes:

yes thats a good way to waste money i rather waste they money on steam games :)

mriguy
07-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Congratulations you win... :D

We will be adding the top 10 games on your wish ... :cool:

Oh wait something is wrong here... :o

You have been disqualified due to violations of the TOS... :mad:

carLow
07-08-2011, 10:59 AM
lol

steam almost always have 3 million people online... probably have what... 10 million people registered?

and you still angry thinking about some dudes cheating?

you wont win the 10 free games. get over it. chances are too low. of course you CAN win, but if you do you're a damn lucky guy

Nibbled
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Who is SAM? And "cheating" the summer achievements, pfft... It take less than 10 minutes to achieve them anyway and it's a probability that you and I wont win anyway.

MeemoSQR
07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Who is SAM? And "cheating" the summer achievements, pfft... It take less than 10 minutes to achieve them anyway and it's a probability that you and I wont win anyway.

Really it took me an hour to do the lady of the lake achievement for Warband.. I can never find a freakin companion -.-

3x3cUt0r
07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Agree.

Demon Wraith
07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree with the OP. I hope Valve's already considered this and taken the steps.

Goenitz
07-08-2011, 11:04 AM
You kids know that stat sites like SteamStats and Astats are able to detect when someone used SAM, right?

If you're that worried about someone cheating, go to those sites and check their profile.

Anyway, it's not like we're gonna know who won in the end, right? The winners of the Treasure hunt prize draw were never made public.

ZeRo1004
07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
NOBODY uses SAM anyway, so what's the big deal? There's already a low chance somebody will win, so it wouldn't hurt if they use it. Stop making a big deal out of this.

cryptload
07-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Who is SAM?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/901660/

somebody
07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
You kids know that stat sites like SteamStats and Astats are able to detect when someone used SAM, right?

If you're that worried about someone cheating, go to those sites and check their profile.

I have used SAM in the past, does that mean that I should be disqualified for using that program 2 years ago? I got all of the summer achievements legit.

MeemoSQR
07-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Anyway, it's not like we're gonna know who won in the end, right? The winners of the Treasure hunt prize draw were never made public.

Wrong answer I used SAM to reset my achievements in KF, back when the game had literally 9 maps to play. Why should I be disqualified for doing some that should've been implemented in to Steam ages ago. A reset button -.-

lordofterror
07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
I have used SAM in the past, does that mean that I should be disqualified for using that program 2 years ago? I got all of the summer achievements legit.
no wonder it shows that on your profile in Astats

jdun
07-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Title says all.

(In before the excuses drop (e.g. too busy, too old, have a girlfriend/boyfriend/sheep, etc.))

If they spend that much effort and time to win ten games maybe they deserve a chance. For me it isn't even an issue. You have a better chance winning 1 million lotto ticket than 10 free games.

I won't lose any sleep over it.

epsylon_Z1
07-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Congratulations you win... :D

We will be adding the top 10 games on your wish ... :cool:

Oh wait something is wrong here... :o

You have been disqualified due to violations of the TOS... :mad: good one

geronimo789
07-10-2011, 12:04 AM
That SAM seems like it's serious ... :p

TBH, I had fun getting most of those achievements. I played games again I rarely play anymore, and did stuff in them i wouldn't normally do. Best thing of all is that I get free extra content ! The chance to win top10 is only an added bonus.

So I don't care if anyone sets their ticket count to 99999999999999 because I already got what i'm in it for.

supergaxx
07-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Just so the OP knows, since he obviously didnt read the terms and conditions of the competition before posting.

(c) Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means will be void.

Valve obviously know about the S.A.M. and as such are "ignoring" entries that were made using it.

As for entries on accounts that have both legitamite and SAM ones, well, who knows.

donnymill
07-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Just so the OP knows, since he obviously didnt read the terms and conditions of the competition before posting.

(c) Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means will be void.

Valve obviously know about the S.A.M. and as such are "ignoring" entries that were made using it.

As for entries on accounts that have both legitamite and SAM ones, well, who knows.

Sure, seems reasonable that if a third party site like SteamStats can detect SAM use, Valve can. Naturally they're going to be looking out for cheaters. Not that it matters. With so many Steam users taking part in the contest, how much of an advantage do you figure the extra tickets would give you anyway?

Traken
07-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Seeing as how you don't even need the achievements to win (read the sweepstakes rules people), no one cares.

Granted, it could shift your odds of winning by 0.000001%.

Thundergod
07-10-2011, 04:33 AM
I have used SAM in the past, does that mean that I should be disqualified for using that program 2 years ago?

Yes it does mean you should be disqualified.

Ridnarhtim
07-10-2011, 04:58 AM
It take less than 10 minutes to achieve them anyway and it's a probability that you and I wont win anyway.

You clearly haven't tried to get the Super Meat Boy, HOARD, RUSH, Spiral Knights, Wonderful End Of The World or Doc Clock achievements (without using saves/walkthroughs).

DoomyDoomDoom
07-10-2011, 05:31 AM
The less people the better I say.:p

stereophonical
07-10-2011, 05:32 AM
SAM doesn't even work anymore. I tried because ♥♥♥♥ Spiral Knights, but no, it didn't work because achievements are now "server side" it said. Got a free bomb from a nice SPUFer though so you can still rage about that, rager.

leveller
07-10-2011, 05:44 AM
OP has a real good, valid point.

And I have faith in Valve to not reward cheaters.

amitava82
07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Wow, I was not aware of SAM! Thanks OP!

Europhoria
07-10-2011, 06:14 AM
I guess cheaters should be treated as cheaters even if it's only for something minor.

SAM doesn't even work anymore. I tried because ♥♥♥♥ Spiral Knights, but no, it didn't work because achievements are now "server side" it said. Got a free bomb from a nice SPUFer though so you can still rage about that, rager.

GARRRAHHHH! \:mad:/

Talaron
07-10-2011, 06:14 AM

SAM only doesn't work for Spiral Knights because there is no communication about achievements between Steam and the game client. SAM still works for all other games (also newer ones than SK, e.g. Magic 2012). So, I really hope Valve is aware of this problem and finds a solution, just like they did during the Portal 2 Potato ARG.

AxoZombie
07-10-2011, 06:18 AM
prove they used it

(have fun with that)

Cheater : http://dev.zr40.nl/steam/player?id=6yy8p
LOL!

Been using an achievement manager huh? Can tell because this site can detect whether you have cheated your achievements, scroll down to the bototm, and check why you aren not ranked :p

Better hope no admin catches this ;x

hehe
http://wonders.mine.nu/astats/User_Info.php?steamID64=76561197971974105

^THIS

Europhoria
07-10-2011, 06:28 AM
Oh yeah. This is what I found by doing a Google search: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2293 from this thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839397).

Javamanjake
07-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Instead of trying to monitor millions of people all they have to do is review the achievements of the winners. That wouldn't take very long at all. Any BS and the person is disqualified and another person chosen.

MSPreacher
07-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I had fun getting most of those achievements. I played games again I rarely play anymore, and did stuff in them i wouldn't normally do. Best thing of all is that I get free extra content ! The chance to win top10 is only an added bonus.

Quoted for truth.

Quixotic143
07-10-2011, 06:47 AM
I'd be of the opinion that if SAM does work, that would probably be a major no-no.

However, I'm just wondering if these are considered "cheating" worth disqualification over:

1. Having a friend light you on fire next to some water on a 2-person TF2 server.

2. Starting a CS:S game with only bots with knives so you can snipe them easily.

3. Starting a Magicka versus match playing against yourself with all drops except the category with Rain or Blizzard enabled.

4. Start a AI War match with all possible home planets claimed so that you start with five or six times more energy than needed.

5. Having someone lend you a firecracker instead of actually playing Spiral Knights to get the money needed to buy it yourself.

6. Posting some random garbage video/comment/screenshot instead of actually promoting those features, then quickly deleting said video/comment/screenshot after receiving the ticket.

7. Starting a demo/downloaded trailer for a split second instead of actually playing/watching the full thing, then deleting said demo/trailer after receiving the ticket.

8. Watching a step-by-step tutorial on every achievement so you don't have to spend time figuring it out for yourself.

All of the above are short-cuts. I don't see how a saved game is more offensive than any of these. Whether it's having someone light you on fire or having them play the game for you, you're doing the same amount of work either way: nada.

stereophonical
07-10-2011, 04:46 PM
SAM only doesn't work for Spiral Knights because there is no communication about achievements between Steam and the game client. SAM still works for all other games (also newer ones than SK, e.g. Magic 2012). So, I really hope Valve is aware of this problem and finds a solution, just like they did during the Portal 2 Potato ARG.

What did they do during the ARG?

Abdiel476
07-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm sure if you're smart enough to create a bot to generate accounts, you're probably not dumb enough to make such a lousy mistake.

You would think that, but you'd be amazed at the stupidity involved in some otherwise high concept crimes.

There was a scandal at an online poker site a few years ago where someone with access made a superaccount (they could see every player's cards, not just their own) and got busted because they made some give away mistakes:

-They never called a river (always raised or folded)
-They open folded pocket kings (the second best starting hand in the game)

And a few others.

enlive
07-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Their accounts will be disabled no doubt as it is getting more popular. As an actual owner of all of the tickets it does tick me off somewhat.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/enlivee

sebe
07-10-2011, 05:09 PM
people that cheated during the portal 2 ARG had all the collected items revoked.. so FYI Valve isn't stupid.

WikedX
07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
people that cheated during the portal 2 ARG had all the collected items revoked.. so FYI Valve isn't stupid.

That's not true. I cheated and Valve just took away the cheated ones(to be fair I didn't actually mean to cheat. The person who posted the link made it seem like it was part of the ARG)

Friendliest
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
re: topic of course they should be disqualified.

prove they used it

is it realistic that they are going to comb through 3 million steam accounts times X number of achievements? no.

is it realistic that each of the 100 winners will have their activity reviewed in some slightly-more-than-superficial fashion, enough to reveal such obvious cheating? yeah, probably.

pijankengur
07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Not worth it

CourierAl
07-10-2011, 08:27 PM
-Snip-

PELUXA1
07-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Title says all.

I'm with you man!

Frnicatr
07-10-2011, 08:40 PM
I kinda feel guilty for using SAM, but I purely wanted to use the tickets for the prizes, if I win, whoop whoop, if I don't, I still have my dwarfs?! minigame to play with. Besides, theres people with 76 tickets and all of that and over 3 million people on steam. What are the odds?

Oh and, I don't think valve should just disable the WHOLE steam account for it. Seriously, I have over a hundred games on that thing, and i've been here since 05. (Not forum account)

Why the hell would you ever post that here admitting you used SAM? Not only does it put a target on your back, as you openly admitted you cheated, but it also shows how pathetic you are.

CourierAl
07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Why the hell would you ever post that here admitting you used SAM? Not only does it put a target on your back, as you openly admitted you cheated, but it also shows how pathetic you are.

No need to get hostile here. I'm just expressing my perspective on this :(

Frnicatr
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
No need to get hostile here. I'm just expressing my perspective on this :(

Listen, you say you feel guilty for using it, which I don't believe you do. Why? Because let's say you get away with using SAM and you end up winning, you'll be happy that you did it. Amirite? So don't come in here saying you're feeling guilty about it.

[Edit]
ALSO. I see you totally cut your post, but that's okay, I still have it quoted a few posts above this. lol. Clearly you got scared when I told you you're putting a target on your back for using SAM.

CourierAl
07-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Listen, you say you feel guilty for using it, which I don't believe you do. Why? Because let's say you get away with using SAM and you end up winning, you'll be happy that you did it. Amirite? So don't come in here saying you're feeling guilty about it.

[Edit]
ALSO. I see you totally cut your post, but that's okay, I still have it quoted a few posts above this. lol. Clearly you got scared when I told you you're putting a target on your back for using SAM.

Stop reading my mind. :(

pwnsauce
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Their accounts will be disabled no doubt as it is getting more popular. As an actual owner of all of the tickets it does tick me off somewhat.

You've posted your profile in every post that you've done today...

Frnicatr
07-10-2011, 09:53 PM
You've posted your profile in every post that you've done today...

Showing off, obviously. :p

Planeforger
07-10-2011, 09:54 PM

You never did respond to the other thread, but how did you get the Fate of the World achievement in such a short time, anyway? I didn't even think that was possible - what was your technique? ;)

SupahSilv
07-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Cheaters altogether should be shot. End of story.

{except for cheating for fun, of course, after you finish the story. Who doesn't love spawning a chainsaw in GTA San Andreas and going on a cop-killing massacre with infinite health}

Nuclearshadow
07-11-2011, 12:18 AM
If people multi accounting is a problem then I hope Steam does not just throw all people who have more than one household member that has a steam account as a act worthy of being disqualified . I have a friend that lives with me at this time and also uses steam and earned tickets as well. We both of course have accounts older than this contest and have much more than just free games.

somebody
07-11-2011, 01:15 AM
^THIS

Well, are you ♥♥♥♥ing ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥? On the second page, I admitted that I had used SAM in the past, but have not since a couple of years. And yes, Valve can prove this (or at least my achievements can now).

MirrorLake
07-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Anyone smart enough to cheat the system and automate a way to improve their odds drastically WITHOUT getting caught deserves the prize more than me, anyway.

Of course, anyone smart enough to do that should probably be making great money as a programmer--and should be wealthy enough to purchase their wishlist......

I've contradicted myself.

Froh
07-11-2011, 02:54 AM
You clearly haven't tried to get the Super Meat Boy, HOARD, RUSH, Spiral Knights, Wonderful End Of The World or Doc Clock achievements (without using saves/walkthroughs).

I used saves for 1 of them only.