PDA

View Full Version : Confused about video ram?

oULTRABEATDOWNo
07-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Okay I do! Have knowledge of computers so no talking trash.

Any ways I know CYRI isn't really a good site but when I go there it shows I have 3.7 gigs of video ram. My card is a GTX 460 SE 1gig. So im not sure were the other 2.7 gigs come from.

Blobman001
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
it counts your actual ram too idk why

oULTRABEATDOWNo
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
it counts your actual ram too idk why

I have 6 gigs of ram in this computer though?

madpistol
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I have 6 gigs of ram in this computer though?

Windows 32-bit?

oULTRABEATDOWNo
07-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Windows 32-bit?

64 bit

borg_7_of_9
07-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I assume windows may have reserved some physical memory for video as well.. On Board video enabled as well?

oULTRABEATDOWNo
07-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I assume windows may have reserved some physical memory for video as well.. On Board video enabled as well?

Not sure how am I able to check? XP Such a nub question sorry.

geoffro68
07-08-2011, 05:23 PM
The site obviously is misreporting, you're better off using GPUz to check the specs of your card.

borg_7_of_9
07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
XP does in fact put physical memory aside for video iirc reading in an artical.. there is noting you can do to change it iirc but don't worry windows will free it up if needed..

wrong article :grr: cant find it but this also has a lil to do with it: XP32 Bit

The PCI memory addresses starting down from 4 GB are used for things like the BIOS, IO cards, networking, PCI hubs, bus bridges, PCIExpress, and video/graphics cards. The BIOS takes up about 512 KB starting from the very top address. Then each of the other items
mentioned are allocated address ranges below the BIOS range. The largest block of addresses is allocated for today’s high performance
graphics cards which need addresses for at least the amount of memory on the graphics card. The net result is that a high performance
x86-based computer may allocate 512 MB to more than 1 GB for the PCI memory address range before any RAM (physical user memory)
addresses are allocated.

FWIW some program's can show this while other's ignore it..
But basically there is a 1G copy of your video card memory stored in RAM..(XP Only)

YahooElite
07-08-2011, 07:13 PM
DXDiag shows the same thing.

For example, my DXDiag says i have approx 2785MBs of video memory, its a 1GB card.

apparentlty its able to use Physical RAM when needed.

seems normal to me, this has been discussed quite alot.

MarkG
07-09-2011, 12:26 AM
But basically there is a 1G copy of your video card memory stored in RAM..(XP Only)

It's not a copy as such: the BIOS configures the memory controller such that writes to address 3GB to 4GB (say) go to the PCI-Express bus instead of the RAM. It can also configure the memory controller so that the 'hidden' top gigabyte of system RAM is visible at address 4GB to 5GB, but 32-bit versions of Windows can't then see it because they won't use any address over 4GB.

nabokovfan87
07-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Okay I do! Have knowledge of computers so no talking trash.

Any ways I know CYRI isn't really a good site but when I go there it shows I have 3.7 gigs of video ram. My card is a GTX 460 SE 1gig. So im not sure were the other 2.7 gigs come from.

You have 1 GB of VRAM, you have 3.7 GB of system ram being recognized in all likelihood.

I am going to also guess that you have a 32 bit machine? 4 GB of actual system ram?

So, 2.7 system ram (32 bit limitation), plus the 1 gb, adds up to the 3.7 Gb.

Not sure how am I able to check? XP Such a nub question sorry.

Download something like CPU-z or hardware monitor and report back. FOR SURE you have 1 gb of VRAM, the question is what about system memory.

madmarten
07-09-2011, 01:54 AM
(6144mb-512mb)/2 = 2816mb.

Nitronumber9
07-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Theres a bug with DXdiag where it reads the amount of video ram on your card wrong, normally affects 64bit operating systems, most of the "can you run this" sites actually take the dxdiag specs thus why its being picked up wrong on them.

The best way to check your Vram is to actually dive into the Nvidia control panel, somewhere in there it will say the correct amount of ram on the card.

A couple of games do throw fits but otherwise you should be fine.

Princess Garnet
07-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I assume windows may have reserved some physical memory for video as well..This is exactly what it is. Newer versions of Windows may even allocate more with the more RAM you have (it's probably only up to a point). I have 8GB system RAM, and this (http://i.imgur.com/Zbs3L.png) is what mine says. It's allowing (not dedicating) up to ~3GB for VRAM use, and along with the 1GB dedicated VRAM, there's ~4GB for VRAM use.

k1ngchr15
07-09-2011, 01:35 PM
The extra space reserved for the video ram on the physical is just to save the computer from crashing or going incredibly slow if the card gets used up, its the same idea as the pagefile system incase the RAM gets used up

rotNdude
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
When you boot your computer, the BIOS on the video card is interrogated and the card presents the amount of VRAM that is on the card and also requests that system RAM be allocated to it. When the OS loads, it interrogates the BIOS to determine what is there and dynamically allocates system RAM to the video card. That allocation is not strictly reserved, but it is shown as system RAM capable of being used if needed.