PDA

View Full Version : How does EA manage to sell these Sports Games every year?

Engineer.
07-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Realistically speaking who the heck buys this garbage every year the same thing with a different name. Its the same crap I tell you.

How do they do it?

There must be some trick surely?

Making $60 by changing the year and adding maybe a new stadium? wtf

Gman666
07-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Qood question as I never understood it myself either. :confused:

But you must admit they are geniouses, they need not to spend much on upgrades (conserve a lot of payment for artists and such, technically one artist can do everything or maybe one modeler and one texturer), yes they charge full price for their DLC and earn big ca$h. All they have to spend reasonable money on is licensing the logos, names and other stuff but still it must be worth it a lot as they release the games constantly.

Same with the modern warfare and other such series.

People these days, they are sheep and don't bother to look beyond their noses. Oh well not my problem for sure.

Eldar
07-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Because FIFA and the likes are just so god damn fun D:

Granted I don't own any, because it's more of a console thing and I don't have any consoles, but my mates have them and games can get quite heated. 'Tis fun.

Draek
07-09-2011, 12:17 AM
By selling it to different people, duh. Even the most hardcore fans I know only upgrade every 2-3 years, while normal ones only buy one if they've got a new console or there's a World Cup going on, which ain't that often either.

oi u agree
07-09-2011, 12:17 AM
EA sucks at making sports games.

Now 2K makes some great sports game. NBA 2K11 is the best sports game ever.

Also FIFA sucks.

HerBDerb
07-09-2011, 12:29 AM
How does Activision manage to sell CoD every year?

pmc64
07-09-2011, 12:30 AM
All the cool kids do it and you wont be able to play with anyone online unless you have the latest one.

=UAL=Shock&Awe
07-09-2011, 12:31 AM

No, the question should be how does Nintendo get away with selling Pokemon games with the same story.

Engineer.
07-09-2011, 12:31 AM

LoL yes this one is also a very good question.

MW 1, 2 and 3 are all the same thing runs on the same outdated crap engine.

Another question is how does Apple Manage to sell those over priced electronics. MAC Book pro for example when you can get a gaming pc laptop for about the same price.

Parliamentarian
07-09-2011, 12:32 AM
No, the question should be how does Nintendo get away with selling Pokemon games with the same story.

Different pokemon and telling you "GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!"

Ganger
07-09-2011, 12:34 AM

Also FIFA sucks.

This is a odd statement to make, if EA sport games were rubbish people wouldn't buy them.

epicphail
07-09-2011, 12:36 AM
i dont understand either buy one of em and your set for atleast the next 2 years cause nothing really changes but who is on what team.

l4nd0fc0nfu510n
07-09-2011, 12:40 AM
I think the last time I bought a sports game was in 2005. ESPN NFL 2k5, and ESPN NHL 2k5. Probably some of the best sports games I've ever played.

pmc64
07-09-2011, 12:41 AM

Pokemon isn't really a story driven game and barely has what i condider a story. The pokemon designs are pretty bankrupt for a while now.

Pim Pandoer
07-09-2011, 01:00 AM
because i am a huge football fan, and ill do anything for those squad updates.:p

velvetmeds
07-09-2011, 01:33 AM

Also FIFA sucks.

Lol... Fifa is currently the best football game there is.

It's also different enough each year to warrant a purchase.

Haters gonna hate.

GirlPower23
07-09-2011, 01:54 AM

You make it obvious you've never played Pokemon or care to bother with how intricate the game is.

Gibbo73
07-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Kids gotta have the latest fifa! I'd still be playing pro evo 6 if I still had a playstation 2.

Sometimes they are worth an upgrade, but not every year. It's a mindset thing. Football/sports fans have to have the latest shirt/boots/game for bragging rights I suppose.

ledbelly
07-09-2011, 02:00 AM
I like sports games?

I haven't actually bought a new sports game in a while though. I'm not that much of a fan of FIFA. The same principle applies with PES though. I've never found each iteration of PES to be the same game with different teams. There is something new to the gameplay there. Most of the time it is an improvement.

=UAL=Shock&Awe
07-09-2011, 02:27 AM
You make it obvious you've never played Pokemon or care to bother with how intricate the game is.

Lol, who said I never played a Pokemon game before? It's just they have the same story where you stumble across Team *insert name here* and they are a bunch of guys who you beat then you go on to defeat the Elite Four.

chaplain_wu
07-09-2011, 02:32 AM
because people really do want the same junk over and over again, even if its just a mere facelift; desperation for more entertainment and you'll pay out even if you actually know that there's really little new stuff to go with it, but with this ridiculous hope that it would actually offer more than it really does.

velvetmeds
07-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Each PES has gotten worse and worse, they're not worth bothering with anymore.

Nova Prospekt
07-09-2011, 03:29 AM
A better question is why do people buy sports games in the first place?Why spend $60 for a game that tells you "Press X for kicking the ball" when you can go out and experience how it feels first hand?

I mean i get buying FPS and games like GTA - you can't do all that stuff without going to jail for life.But sports?You can play it out and actually get fit.

Again - my opinion

velvetmeds
07-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Why do people buy Guitar hero? Rock band? Fitness games? Etc.

Pim Pandoer
07-09-2011, 03:42 AM
i think the answer to this question is clever marketing. i (unfortunatly)bought black ops, as their marketing team made it seem like a whole new game that would be so much better then every other one. it wasnt. but they still sold tons more then all the other ones.

Taikis
07-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Also, what kind of games are fishing and paintball games?

KingFisher316
07-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Also FIFA sucks.

Wrong!!

Fifa 11 was a global phenomenon, mainly on console, and it's fun.

Shadoww0lf
07-09-2011, 06:12 AM

Pokemon is perhaps the epitome of what one would classify as a dry and empty game. In fact, in terms of entertainment, it probably only satisfies children and those who have a peanut for a brain.

I personally prefer to call such "games" babysitter games, because they're designed to keep little children quiet when their parents bring them to a guest's house..

joeylawn
07-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Question for those who play soccer/football on a PC or Console:

Is the score in the video game usually higher than in real life, or the usual 1-nil?

Lazychip
07-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Realistically speaking who the heck buys this garbage every year the same thing with a different name. Its the same crap I tell you.

How do they do it?

They just update the engine and make it better. They also update the roster for that year. And that's all they pretty much do.

Engineer.
07-09-2011, 08:55 AM
I also think it has a lot to do with bragging rights.

I remember 1 guys talking the other day and one said yeah I am gonna go home and play fifa 10.

The other guy said Fifa 10 bro? dude get with the times I have the latest fifa 11

And the other guy was like omg wow fifa 11 is out already? I gotta get that ASAP

Meanwhile I was scratching my head and wondering if I was dreaming or did what I just see there really did happen. I then attempted to slap myself and throw water on my face to ensure it was not a dream.

stillmatic07
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I remember 1 guys talking the other day and one said yeah I am gonna go home and play fifa 10.

The other guy said Fifa 10 bro? dude get with the times I have the latest fifa 11

And the other guy was like omg wow fifa 11 is out already? I gotta get that ASAP

Meanwhile I was scratching my head and wondering if I was dreaming or did what I just see there really did happen. I then attempted to slap myself and throw water on my face to ensure it was not a dream.

That's life. Cars, cell phones, mp3 players... most technology that has an upgrade just waiting to be released because it's THE NEXT BEST THING.

For me it's GPUs and Game engines :p

ledbelly
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Why does it seem hard to understand to people?

They buy the game because they love the sport. Teams change. New players are bought sometimes every season. Older players may leave. Teams can get stronger or weaker. Gameplay maybe improved that makes it more realistic. Some people like the game to reflect those facts. I used to play PES a lot with friends, and newer versions a lot of the time were an improvement over the last.

If you're not a big fan of the sport, then perhaps you wouldn't understand, but then you don't understand why people are a fan of the sport to begin with. lol

P.M.
07-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Yes. Hovewer, since you're wrong most of the time, we can safely assume that is not true.

ledbelly
07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes. Hovewer, since you're wrong most of the time, we can safely assume that is not true.

Even if the gameplay wasn't improved or changed (which most of the time it is) people would probably still buy them. They want the game to reflect the reality of the sport. With sports like football, teams are changing constantly. People don't want a team to have players in it that aren't even in the real team anymore, or have teams that are much worse or better than they should be.

The sport is always changing so it's justifiable that a new game is made every season to reflect that.

To add to that, they're always trying to add new features, and improve the gameplay to try and make the experience as realistic as possible.

freeloader105
07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I think that the SPUF OT subforum needs an official thread for bashing EA and Activision. It would surely be more efficient rather than having people create new threads every single day, just to say the same things :rolleyes:

Firestorm998
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
That's life. Cars, cell phones, mp3 players... most technology that has an upgrade just waiting to be released because it's THE NEXT BEST THING.

For me it's GPUs and Game engines :p
I'm grateful for innovations in tp. Andrex with Aloe Vera is really soothing.

halbarad_loire
07-09-2011, 09:49 AM

How do they do it?

Because you're wrong.
I can speak from experience in the fact that I do buy the FIFA games and EA don't just release the same stuff over and over, just adding a stadium or altering the graphics.

They used to, but the past 4 (and soon to be 5) versions of FIFA have made massive improvements every time. Looking at the videos of the new FIFA, it will be the same - improvement city!

ImaGonnaGetYou
07-09-2011, 09:50 AM
I have never met a casual player who didn't buy the latest sports game of their favorite sport. Seriously, how many Madden games can you have before you realize they're all the EXACT same game?

I never bought sports games, and never will. The first reason being because I hate the publishers that churn them out, the second reason being that I'd rather have something new to play instead of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a game that is basically the same as another game that was a rehash of a game that was available for the Nintendo 64 very close to its launch date.

Or, tl;dr, Madden 12 is Madden 199X that looks better. Same with FIFA, NBA 2Kwhatever they call it this year, MLB, etc.

Makatak
07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
If these rehash sports games are primarily multiplayer, then I can understand why people would buy their latest game each year. Most online gamers want to keep up with others that are just as passionate about the game/sport as they are. Sure, there will still be people playing the older games, but that community will die out over time and so any maps, tactics, or strategies that you master may not transfer directly over to the newer games and become irrelevant soon.

iGluttony x
07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Intricate how? There is no story, and the gameplay is pretty much the same.

While I don't think that Pokemon is the same ♥♥♥♥ with each generation, I do think that it's definitely not story-driven, and that not much changes from game to game. They just add more gimmicks, mini-games, and other things to do. I hardly would call that intricate.

MADDOGGE
07-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Sports games , CoD games whats the difference!:confused:

halbarad_loire
07-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I have never met a casual player who didn't buy the latest sports game of their favorite sport. Seriously, how many Madden games can you have before you realize they're all the EXACT same game?

I never bought sports games, and never will. The first reason being because I hate the publishers that churn them out, the second reason being that I'd rather have something new to play instead of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a rehash of a game that is basically the same as another game that was a rehash of a game that was available for the Nintendo 64 very close to its launch date.

Or, tl;dr, Madden 12 is Madden 199X that looks better. Same with FIFA, NBA 2Kwhatever they call it this year, MLB, etc.

I have to ask one thing. You openly say you have never, nor will you ever, buy the sports game in the same post as saying they're the exact same.
The question is this: How do you think that this doesn't make you look stupid and overly presumptuous?

You plainly have never played the FIFA games because every year the technology is improving. The realistic movement, tactics, everything is changing to make the make better and more like real life.
Anybody who has actually played the games for over 30 minutes could tell you that.

Now maybe it's the same for Madden because Gridiron/Not really football/Little Girls version of Rugby (Yes, I'm intentionally goading the Americans. Just for funs people!) has about 10 minutes of action per game and let's face it, there's only so much to work with - may as well just improve the graphics.

MrSniker
07-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I'll buy the game every couple years my last version of madden was the version with Brett Favre on it in a Green Bay uniform so 2-3 years ago?

I don't understand the reasoning for you trying to argue against people buying it every year though. It's their money, the bigger question is why do you care how they spend their money?

awes0meaxel
07-09-2011, 06:33 PM
i like playing football game. i'm a big fan. but it's more of a console thing, i don't own one but i sometimes play with my buddies.

IgnoreThisPlox
07-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Same people who bought Left 4 Dead 2 after buying L4D the previous year

ElloMate
07-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Because FIFA is the most fun game on the market

TheRevanchist
07-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Obviously, you aren't a fan of sports games. :p

SeanHraefn
07-25-2011, 07:44 AM
EA's sports games actually do innovate a lot more from year to year than they used to.

Sports games fans got sick of the "new roster, prettier graphics" model after about 2 or 3 years in the early to mid 2000s and EA moved to actual innovation from year to year.

ElloMate
07-25-2011, 08:09 AM
The difference between, say, Fifa 09 and Fifa 11 is staggering

MADDOGGE
07-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Same people who bought Left 4 Dead 2 after buying L4D the previous yearYes, but I haven't bought a single Valve game since and I won't! Ep3/HL3 or nothing.

gjork
07-25-2011, 08:41 AM
They make sure there is some annoying bug in every version so that people will buy the next version that fixes it, but then they introduce another annoyance in the new version to make sure the vicious cycle continues. That's my take on it anyway.

w00ties
07-25-2011, 11:38 AM

How do they do it?

I'm a huge FIFA fan. I've purchased a new game every year since FIFA08.

There's always something that makes me want to purchase a new version, and it's not just new stadiums. It can be something minor (such as new squad updates, which are rather quite important for football/soccer fans) or something more significant (such as a new Impact Engine) that makes the new version appealing.

I pretty much purchased FIFA 11 only for the squad updates, but the Player Attributes they added this year made it worth while.

I keep telling myself to avoid buying the next iteration, but I just can't do it. I eventually cave in and buy it :p

Crimson Rising
07-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Different pokemon and telling you "GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!"
Gotta catch em all? Create new pokemon...

skippy72294
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Gotta catch em all? Create new pokemon...

No more pokémon!!!! There are now waaaaayyyyy too many....

bowmoq
07-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Question for those who play soccer/football on a PC or Console:

Is the score in the video game usually higher than in real life, or the usual 1-nil?

It depends on the difficulty level you're playing. On easy I can easily score more than 10 goals, while on higher difficulties I have roughly 50% chances of wining, and when I do it's not by more than three goals.