PDA

View Full Version : Activating a RUSSIAN key + ENGLISH patch safe with Steam?

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 07:20 AM
There are sites where you can buy games like black ops pretty darn cheap, but they need to be activated using a Russian VPN then require a English patch too. Is this safe? Or would steam try to ban ya?!

Europhoria
07-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Don't circumvent any regional controls that Steam/Valve implements. This sounds dodgy and would probably see your account disabled. Anyway, the games won't work outside Russia without a Russian IP.

Zomboob
07-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I see no reason why they would disable your account. If the game activates fine then you should be okay. There's plenty of legitimate reasons why you would be using a key from russia, Europhoria is a pessimist.

Epsilon
07-09-2011, 07:28 AM
If it's too good to be true it usually is.

Europhoria
07-09-2011, 07:30 AM
I see no reason why they would disable your account. If the game activates fine then you should be okay. There's plenty of legitimate reasons why you would be using a key from russia, Europhoria is a pessimist.

At least you spelt my name correctly which unfortunately is the only thing you done right in your entire post.

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 07:32 AM
I see no reason why they would disable your account. If the game activates fine then you should be okay. There's plenty of legitimate reasons why you would be using a key from russia, Europhoria is a pessimist.This is why i'm asking, why should they ban ya, when you have paid for a game?! Aswell as activated it using Steam with a valid key, it doesn't matter that it's not english, but a small patch soon renders that worky lol. I submitted a question to Steam too to see what gay ♥♥♥-wanked comment they reply back to me.

STEAM has got to be the most pile of sh*t platform iv'e ever used. My brother last year played his modern warfare 2 pc and he was bunged into a modded lobby, he got killed and was immediately VAC banned. The same thing happened to me and i lost all my barracks and had to start again. Steam or activision didnt care.

My brother then went out and purchased the damn game again, sadly i no longer play it since i try to avoid it like the plague.

Zomboob
07-09-2011, 07:36 AM
This is why i'm asking, why should they ban ya, when you have paid for a game?! Aswell as activated it using Steam with a valid key, it doesn't matter that it's not english, but a small patch soon renders that worky lol. I submitted a question to Steam too to see what gay ♥♥♥-wanked comment they reply back to me.

STEAM has got to be the most pile of sh*t platform iv'e ever used. My brother last year played his modern warfare 2 pc and he was bunged into a modded lobby, he got killed and was immediately VAC banned. The same thing happened to me and i lost all my barracks and had to start again. Steam or activision didnt care.

My brother then went out and purchased the damn game again, sadly i no longer play it since i try to avoid it like the plague.

I go to russia all the time, if I buy a game there I would expect to be able to activate it on steam just fine. So yeah, they have no legitimate reason to ban.

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 07:39 AM
I go to russia all the time, if I buy a game there I would expect to be able to activate it on steam just fine. So yeah, they have no legitimate reason to ban.Ya i would assume so too, i mean what about all the russians that emigrate to other countries etc, would they render a paper weight account just by launching it in a english spoken country or running english patch? stupid system.

epsylon_Z1
07-09-2011, 07:42 AM
This is why i'm asking, why should they ban ya, when you have paid for a game?!
You just only bought a cheap BO Steam key from an online CD key store . Am i right ? If yes , you only have a scan of the key as a proof , no purchase receipt .

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
You just only bought a cheap BO Steam key from an online CD key store . Am i right ?I'm about to yes, which is why im here asking, otherwise i would be outside enjoying life! :p .... having a receipt doesn't matter, aslong as you activate the game using your steam account, the game stays inside your account and therefore that's a game you own. I bought my modern warfare 2 from Game or somewhere, i set my receipt on fire, what difference would a receipt make?!

epsylon_Z1
07-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm about to yes, which is why im here asking, otherwise i would be outside enjoying life! :pWell, activate it , if you don't need your steam account anymore .

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Well, activate it , if you don't need your steam account anymore .That's just bull♥♥♥♥, read what i said before, what about when people emigrate and have 1000 games no there account? they need to create a new one with english only games?!

i9urd
07-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Last time I checked Steam actively blocks games with Russian keys from being downloaded outside of that country.

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Last time I checked Steam actively blocks games with Russian keys from being downloaded outside of that country.why would they do such a thing? No matter where the Key is bought, it should work for all languages...... Anyway after my problem with steam last year and the fact they VAC banned my brothers old account for no fault of his own, I hope they lose most their PC players and lose out on much profit.

kiprian
07-09-2011, 07:55 AM
No, account will not be banned.

But you might get a message "this product is not awaible in this region" then will try to launch game with your real IP.

Matt
07-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Here's the support article:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1266-QFZC-2141

chopstix
07-09-2011, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't risk it. Even if the key is legitimate, Valve does not like people activating games from regions where they can be purchased much cheaper. This became apparently with The Orange Box, where people tried to activate a Russian copy and were constantly denied.

This is why they want you to activate with a Russian VPN, which would likely work, but would be a very risky venture to take. Whether you think they have a reason to ban you or not, I imagine they will if they find anything out of the ordinary going on. They have every right to do whatever they want according to the ToS you agreed to. I wouldn't push my luck.

Not to mention, you may always have to play behind that VPN to access it. Here is the error message people got before when trying to play Russian activated games.

http://i.imgur.com/NZr76.png

So much for that whole play anywhere aspect :p

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't risk it. Even if the key is legitimate, Valve does not like people activating games from regions where they can be purchased much cheaper. This became apparently with The Orange Box, where people tried to activate a Russian copy and were constantly denied.

This is why they want you to activate with a Russian VPN, which would likely work, but would be a very risky venture to take. Whether you think they have a reason to ban you or not, I imagine they will if they find anything out of the ordinary going on. They have every right to do whatever they want according to the ToS you agreed to. I wouldn't push my luck.

Not to mention, you may always have to play behind that VPN to access it. Here is the error message people got before when trying to play Russian activated games.

http://i.imgur.com/NZr76.pnghmm yeah :/ this is turd. Ohwell f**k it, i wont bother buying it, COD series is a huge rip off now anyway and they dont care. PC gaming is dead, g'bye.

fPeter
07-09-2011, 08:12 AM
I go to russia all the time, if I buy a game there I would expect to be able to activate it on steam just fine. So yeah, they have no legitimate reason to ban.
Nope, they won't ban, the game simply won't activate. Or if you do activate it in russia, you won't be able to play it outside of the country. But if you actually try to get around either of those restrictions, then Steam can take issue with it. That's what the guy was talking about.

Pheace
07-09-2011, 08:14 AM
You're not allowed to mask your traffic so a VPN should be out of the question.

Letting someone else use your account is out of the question.

So apart from making a trip there there's no supported/legal way of doing what you want to do.

Besides, I think you'll always have to connect through the VPN afterwards or the game won't start.

Washell
07-09-2011, 08:21 AM
COD series is a huge rip off now anyway and they dont care. PC gaming is dead, g'bye.

I'm confused. COD makes most of its money on the consoles, so how would that imply PC gaming is dead?

Anyway, to the issue at hand. Average income is lower in Russia and other parts of the world. To make a few bucks out of those markets in spite of that, the price of the product is lowered and the product limited to that region.

With physical products, shipping, handling and import taxes usually region lock it. With digital products, there is code or identifier that prevents it from being used in other regions (Region codes on DVD's, product keys on software).

Russians aren't getting games cheap, they're still paying a similar percentage of their disposable income. If you want a lower price, wait for a sale.

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm confused. COD makes most of its money on the consoles, so how would that imply PC gaming is dead?

Anyway, to the issue at hand. Average income is lower in Russia and other parts of the world. To make a few bucks out of those markets in spite of that, the price of the product is lowered and the product limited to that region.

With physical products, shipping, handling and import taxes usually region lock it. With digital products, there is code or identifier that prevents it from being used in other regions (Region codes on DVD's, product keys on software).

Russians aren't getting games cheap, they're still paying a similar percentage of their disposable income. If you want a lower price, wait for a sale.PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!! Tell me how many games are to be released solely for PC this year? other than Red Orchestra 2. No? All ports? yes, supposed DX11 features and tweaks? pffft yeah ok. PC gaming is dead except for MMO's. And wait for a sale? i dont think so, i rarely have time to game, and waiting for a sale with steam is just gay and immensely sad.

Krieger91
07-09-2011, 08:29 AM
PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!! Tell me how many games are to be released solely for PC this year? other than Red Orchestra 2. No? All ports? yes, supposed DX11 features and tweaks? pffft yeah ok. PC gaming is dead except for MMO's. And wait for a sale? i dont think so, i rarely have time to game, and waiting for a sale with steam is just gay and immensely sad.

Battlefield 3

bseo927
07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!! Tell me how many games are to be released solely for PC this year? other than Red Orchestra 2. No? All ports? yes, supposed DX11 features and tweaks? pffft yeah ok. PC gaming is dead except for MMO's. And wait for a sale? i dont think so, i rarely have time to game, and waiting for a sale with steam is just gay and immensely sad.

just go back to your xbox or ps3 little boy.

Mogilwik
07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
What kind of logic is that? SO, basically, if one buys 100 games via Steam and then moves to another country he won't to be able to play some of them anymore? This is nonsense. Games are attached to an account, not an IP.

However, there are Russian versions of games, which are MUCH cheaper. Those ones may require Russian IP to be played. Correct me if I'm wrong.

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Battlefield 3Oh wow, i knew it! couldnt say a sole PC title could you? Another port which Dice state will have great graphical achievements under PC. Anymore? nah, see?!

What kind of logic is that? SO, basically, if one buys 100 games via Steam and then moves to another country he won't to be able to play some of them anymore? This is nonsense. Games are attached to an account, not an IP.

However, there are Russian versions of games, which are MUCH cheaper. Those ones may require Russian IP to be played. Correct me if I'm wrong.Exactly mate! That would cause a major argument with steam so called ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ support.

epsylon_Z1
07-09-2011, 08:33 AM
PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!! Tell me how many games are to be released solely for PC this year? other than Red Orchestra 2. No? All ports? yes, supposed DX11 features and tweaks? pffft yeah ok. PC gaming is dead except for MMO's. And wait for a sale? i dont think so, i rarely have time to game, and waiting for a sale with steam is just gay and immensely sad.I don't understand why are you shouting . :rolleyes:

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't understand why are you shouting . :rolleyes:Because PC gaming is dead amongst first person shooters. Consoles are looked after more than PC. My brother has black ops on PC and he got some map pack on black ops free, happens all the time.

Europhoria
07-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Because PC gaming is dead amongst first person shooters. Consoles are looked after more than PC. My brother has black ops on PC and he got some map pack on black ops free, happens all the time.

Did you just contradict yourself there? Activision gives out mappacks for free now? Since when?

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Did you just contradict yourself there? Activision gives out mappacks for free now? Since when?No, i'm saying that my brother got them free a few weeks ago, he had to download a new update and suddenly about 4 or 5 new maps were available.

Nismox2
07-09-2011, 08:41 AM
I think it's against the TOS.

Read this paragraph

E. Restrictions.

Except as otherwise permitted under Section 2(C) with regard to the SDK, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Software or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.

You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Software to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Software to others without the prior written consent of Valve; (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Software or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Software or any of its parts for any commercial purpose.

sp33dking89
07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
So would this rule be the same if i bought a US Copy of a game and activated it on my UK accont(current one)

epsylon_Z1
07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
I still don't understand why somewone from the UK buy a russian version of the game . I see brand new copies for 19.98 .

djdynamite123
07-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I still don't understand why somewone from the UK buy a russian version of the game . I see brand new copies for 19.98 .Because ya can buy one for half that? Some people would prefer to buy the cheaper if possible as some people actually have bills to pay, ya know? house, car, energy, food+drink, water, tv, phone, internet and others. Not everyone is rich enough to buy every game going.

Matt
07-09-2011, 08:52 AM
The question was answered. If you have any additional questions then contact Steam support.