PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of some balance fixes?

johnpeat
07-09-2011, 08:51 AM
It's a lovely game, the presentation is great etc. but the difficulty is all over the place...

I'd be far more inclined to put time into it if I didn't think I was about to be put into a map where the units I have (and the game's bugs) are likely to leave me unable to win it.

I just did a map - Puerto Licocatha or something like that - where I need to rescue 60 people. That's 2 full heli-loads, but sadly it's impossible because the heli takes off (despite being surrounded with people) at 28/29 people - and night falls/everyone is dead long before it's snail-like pace would get a 3rd run in.

I think what I'm saying is that the game experience lacks the polish of the graphics and style - a little more attention to this would make this game less frustrating and amateurish feeling...

Right now I'm inclined not to bother with it because it veers from 'easy' to 'nigh impossible' with reckless abandon...

schlub
07-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Just use mods to make this game playable and actually somewhat fun. The default game is horrible

johnpeat
07-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Just use mods to make this game playable and actually somewhat fun. The default game is horrible

This sounds like my sort of answer - thanks!!

byblo
07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
The default game is not that hard (but you have to abuse F9 until you get the wanted result)

First campaigns i did, i got a 6000-2400 and 20000-11000 score :p

wvpr
07-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Why does the helicopter take off half empty sometimes, with no zombies near? Is there a fuel limit or something?

Ki!ler-Mk1
07-10-2011, 03:47 PM
It has a circular counter over it when its on the ground, at the end of that it takes off, empty sometimes.

johnpeat
07-10-2011, 04:58 PM
It has a circular counter over it when its on the ground, at the end of that it takes off, empty sometimes.

I suspect it's still a bit buggy - I've seen it land on hordes of survivors and watched the counter skip upto 26,27,...28.... maybe 29 and then take-off - with a load of people standing right where it was sitting.

Given that on a lot of maps you won't get more than 2 runs - 3 at the very best - the 'rescue 100 people' achievement is taking-the-piss.

It suits the game tho - it's a random/patchy thing with random/patchy acheivements I guess..

With some polish and effort put into a more banaced experience it would be amazing - but right now it feels like it just wants to piss-me-off...

byblo
07-10-2011, 05:04 PM
With some polish and effort put into a more banaced experience it would be amazing - but right now it feels like it just wants to jarate-me-off...I recommend you to try to get the following achievement: "International Killing Machine" (Complete a campaign with the Hardcore and Permadeath modifier)

I'm ripping all my hairs, in trying to get that one xD

edit: maybe some achievement are made with some "modifier" behind, like the one you said: rescue 100 ppl. Maybe it is intended to do with some modifiers, like "Casual" + other modifiers that will make the game easier

Man Slaughter
07-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I suspect it's still a bit buggy - I've seen it land on hordes of survivors and watched the counter skip upto 26,27,...28.... maybe 29 and then take-off - with a load of people standing right where it was sitting.

Johnpeat, it's not buggy: the circular rotating object with the little white notch is the timer. The number just represents the number of people on the chopper.

It doesn't matter that only say 17 people have been picked up and there's still a massive group of people waiting to be picked up, the chopper will take off when that circular timer makes one full revolution. FYI, it's the same timer graphic used for artillery strikes... when the white notch returns to the 12 o'clock position, the time is up.

I realize that the game doesn't document this detail at all, but please don't throw accusations of bugginess around without at least asking us here in the forums: "Hey guys what gives with the dumb chopper taking off when tons people are standing there???"

You'll just give people who are thinking about buying the game the wrong impression. :p

Rehtirepo
07-12-2011, 06:01 AM
I recommend you to try to get the following achievement: "International Killing Machine" (Complete a campaign with the Hardcore and Permadeath modifier)

edit: maybe some achievement are made with some "modifier" behind, like the one you said: rescue 100 ppl. Maybe it is intended to do with some modifiers, like "Casual" + other modifiers that will make the game easier

IKM can be done with modifiers in place. Of course, not casual as it would override hardcore. But good luck with that one ;)

Marut
07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
The timer refers to how much gas the helicopter has as I understand it. This makes the upgrade for "loading time" for each passenger very important, since it allows more civilians to get inside before the helicopter has to take off again. This is especially critical if you upgrade the holding capacity of the helicopter, since you won't be able to get a full load without upgrades of the loading time speed.

gamer_x
07-23-2011, 06:23 PM
I recommend you to try to get the following achievement: "International Killing Machine" (Complete a campaign with the Hardcore and Permadeath modifier)

I'm also ripping all my hairs, with that achievement alone, and no other modifiers except ofcourse hardcore and permadeath. Winning the campaign on normal mode(no modifiers at all) is now easy though.

Gio9sig551
07-24-2011, 06:26 AM
The bad tinghs of the game is the impossibility to chose the mercenaries in the missions.. If the game give you only barricade, traps and dynamite the mission is impossible to win conquering the territory..
That feature will be awesome..

gamer_x
07-24-2011, 08:39 AM
The bad tinghs of the game is the impossibility to chose the mercenaries in the missions.. If the game give you only barricade, traps and dynamite the mission is impossible to win conquering the territory..

The Combatant and Chooser in-built game mods are just for that.

gingerbill
07-25-2011, 12:52 PM

under options you can tick a box that lets you choose mercs , and have one more merc group . I was just about to give up on the game when i noticed these options .

Only thing is its a bit too easy when you have the same mercs and can pick and choose , alot more fun though

wvpr
07-25-2011, 09:15 PM
It's nearly impossible to beat a normal L4 map with any combination of barricades, traps, dynamite, bait, and mines, even with Catbird available and a good gas main layout. You have to set everything up in a way that gets all the kills in one or two bursts. It's also very difficult to beat L4 maps with inexperienced combat units.

If you're playing the regular game settings, though, none of that should be a problem. You will always have easier territories available unless you're already losing badly. You can rescue more than enough humans to win most maps even with the dreaded dynamite, land mine, and bait combo. Or you can take those into a L1 map and conquer it. You're not supposed to be able to eradicate every zombie in every encounter. Sometimes saving an extra chopper load of people is victory enough.

I played a few 20k victory campaigns with the setting that allows zombies to invade conquered territories. Several times in a row I drew impossible mercs with L4 territories covering the whole map. For that situation, the weaker mercs were too disruptive, so I enabled the option to always include a combat unit. When zombies can spread to conquered territories, the L4 territories multiply too quickly, so I also turned on Llama Bomb purchasing. Using only those settings, I was able to win a decisive victory in the next extended campaign.

Play for the campaign victory, not individual maps. The game is balanced enough if you don't throw away too many early conquests.