PDA

View Full Version : I know they're called challenges but....

kijib
07-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Isn't it a problem when I can't even beat the first challenge pack?
Games that are all about difficulty are only fun if the difficulty is reasonable and if the game is too hard then it defeats the purpose of the hard game being fun/enjoyable.

I can't do the frog hopper thing, I can't do the get 250,000 points in 40 sec :eek:

I want to see everything this game has but it's already too impossible

MisterAngry
07-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Isn't it a problem when I can't even beat the first challenge pack?
Games that are all about difficulty are only fun if the difficulty is reasonable and if the game is too hard then it defeats the purpose of the hard game being fun/enjoyable.

I can't do the frog hopper thing, I can't do the get 250,000 points in 40 sec :eek:

I want to see everything this game has but it's already too impossible

It's difficult, yes.

For the 250,000 point challenge, you NEED to use Vaunt. Fill up the Vault ASAP. Use it immediately, destroy the carts off of the trains. Keep Vault filled from what you get from them, then nuke the front of the train, Repeat.

If you lose Vaunt before the end, might as well restart.

Jeffrey0
07-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Most of the point challenges are substantially harder than the others. Just save them for last.

IYIr_Rocko
07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Well, the game is pretty fun even when it's harder than you would expect. I consider this game highly addictive even when I'm stuck in the Challenge Pack 2

MattMock
07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Make sure to destroy a few of the buildings during that 250k pt challenge. They give a few extra points and allowed me to keep 1 vaunt combo going the whole challenge.

needanick
07-13-2011, 04:19 AM
With all respect, OP, did you keep trying or give up after just a few attempts?

Practice makes perfect. All of the challenges have a pattern to them i.e. the hopper's revenge one seems impossible at first but each time you die you should be learning a little tip about what *not* to do next time.

Jamestown is my first 'bullet hell' shooter, btw.

kijib
07-13-2011, 09:22 PM
With all respect, OP, did you keep trying or give up after just a few attempts?

Practice makes perfect. All of the challenges have a pattern to them i.e. the hopper's revenge one seems impossible at first but each time you die you should be learning a little tip about what *not* to do next time.

Jamestown is my first 'bullet hell' shooter, btw.

I haven't given up and I'll keep trying, after some the tips people gave here I have been doing better just not good enough yet

Murudai
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Just keep at it. I remember first trying the challenges and thinking they were impossible.

6 hours of playtime later, I've finally beaten ALL of them. And I tell you something, I've never felt more awesome/relieved to get an achievement! (Challenge Milestone 3).

TrevHead
07-14-2011, 12:03 AM
6 hours of playtime later, I've finally beaten ALL of them. And I tell you something, I've never felt more awesome/relieved to get an achievement! (Challenge Milestone 3).

hehe it looks like we have a new shmup nut welcome to the club. Now try to 1CC (1 credit clear) gauntlet.

IYIr_Rocko
07-14-2011, 08:58 AM
hehe it looks like we have a new shmup nut welcome to the club. Now try to 1CC (1 credit clear) gauntlet.

Last night I've attempted to finish Gauntlet on Divine and die in the last level... pretty challenging.

sandjack
07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Remember that vaunt gives points in 3 ways:

1 - The initial bullet clear gives some points. This usually doesn't matter much except on low difficulties and in very advanced multiplayer play.

2 - Sustaining vaunt. The longer you sustain vaunt without dying, the more potential points you get at the end. It is always to your advantage, points wise, to keep your vaunt alive for as long as possible in single player. Dying while in vaunt erases this bonus. Cancelling halves it.

3 - Points multiplier. While you are vaunted, all players gain a 2x multiplier to every points event. (That includes other people clearing bullets and finishing vaunt in multiplayer, thus the multiplayer complexities). This means that it is vital to have vaunt going for high score events, such as special kills on trains.

T_hawk
07-14-2011, 03:30 PM
It is always to your advantage, points wise, to keep your vaunt alive for as long as possible in single player.

This is not strictly true, if the points you can gain from a fresh shield of bullet canceling are more than the exponentially increasing vaunt bonus. The most extreme place where this occurs is on the stage 3 boss on Divine difficulty or below, where you can get upwards of 600k from bullet canceling (4 x 100k for the third phase of blue spirals) but about 450k for a single held vaunt. (Doesn't work on Judgement since you can't absorb green bullets and the vaunt multiplier is higher.) I think it's also true on the first Conquistador boss, and possibly parts of the stage 4 and final bosses.

sandjack
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I THOUGHT that's what you were doing in that video :-)

Jungle_Toad
07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Just keep at it. I remember first trying the challenges and thinking they were impossible.

I feel the same way. I just finished off all the challenges today. :cool:

IYIr_Rocko
07-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I feel the same way. I just finished off all the challenges today. :cool:

My self as well!:cool:

ZeroNova
07-17-2011, 09:57 AM
My self as well!:cool:

Me too. I honestly thought they would be a lot harder, though I did struggle with a few of them.

ChimmyChanga
07-24-2011, 07:24 AM
Is there anywhere in the game that explains Vaunt and its scoring effects? I played through the scoring bonuses and got like 10k/250k and gave up after a few tries, until I saw a video/read an article where you get 100k+ vaunt bonuses... After that discovery it was relatively easy.

SweetNothing
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Is there anywhere in the game that explains Vaunt and its scoring effects? I played through the scoring bonuses and got like 10k/250k and gave up after a few tries, until I saw a video/read an article where you get 100k+ vaunt bonuses... After that discovery it was relatively easy.

Agreed, the in-game documentation could use some expanding. I'll add this question: How on earth do you "cancel" a vaunt? I've seen that mentioned repeatedly in these forums, yet I have no idea how to do it. I just went back and reviewed the tutorial again, and it's definitely not there.

:confused:

Jeffrey0
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Agreed, the in-game documentation could use some expanding. I'll add this question: How on earth do you "cancel" a vaunt? I've seen that mentioned repeatedly in these forums, yet I have no idea how to do it. I just went back and reviewed the tutorial again, and it's definitely not there.

:confused:
You just press the vaunt button again, it's that simple.

SweetNothing
08-19-2011, 08:44 PM
You just press the vaunt button again, it's that simple.

Thank you! +rep

(I still think it should be part of the in-game information).