PDA

View Full Version : Laughing VS sobbing/sniffing

Major Glory
07-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Hello, everybody. I have a curious question directed at the developers.

Since I try to do "deep role playing" even in computer RPGs, I play the game using my favourite attitude in RPGs - that of sociability and humour.

However, when I went through the list of achievements in the game, I noticed Les Aubes Sont Navrantes - the one that requires us to sob or sniff 20 times. An opposite one, for using humour and laughter, does not exist.

Is this intentional? By including an achievement for one attitude and not the other, it gives (at least to me) somewhat of a feeling that the devs (maybe unintentionally) hinted on "right" and "wrong" paths in their eyes and a certain "recommended" way of behaviour.

I will obviously continue playing my character the way I see fit (and probably won't unlock the achievement, at least not in my first run), but I do wonder why is it there? Do you feel those conversation options are more appropriate?

Ours Polaire
07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Hello,

Well, yeah, we hinted at a "good" path... But not the one you think ! It seems evident to us that Humor is the first/"good" choice for nearly everyone (given that the humor sentences are a lot more fun than the others) - on the contrary, no one takes the "sob" ones. While there was a lot of criticism on the "sob" sentences, we thought it would be fun to make an achievement about that, to balance things a little.

We don't like to think about Winter Voices as a "feminist" game but that's kind of the case actually (and if it succeed that way we are proud of it). Being feminist doesn't mean being tomboyist ; it's not because you can cry and be desperate that you are some sort of woman stereotype.

You can be a princess or a soldier, that's not what makes you a woman anyway.

You can play your character strong or weak, as you please. There is room for every weakness or strength on the path of the soul's redemption. ( :D )

In some cases, you won't be able to laugh, though. I'm thinking of some part of the 4th episode. We could have added the sentences, but no one would have had the "humor" needed to unlock them anyway. ;)

You are not a hero, not even a hero of the soul. You're juste a poor lost girl who had the chance to be still alive with all her members. (or nearly, depending on your choices) That's nice enough for Winter Voices already. ;)

Sincerely,
The Polar Bear

FunkyF15
07-12-2011, 04:00 AM
I like to mix up talking both of the shall we say stances depending on the situation to make the character seem more like a character instead of 1 extreme vs another ( a common issue in many rpgs ).

I guess it helps i really don't care about the achievement and more about my own experience which has been amazing with this game.

ilikeponiesok
07-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Hello,

Well, yeah, we hinted at a "good" path... But not the one you think ! It seems evident to us that Humor is the first/"good" choice for nearly everyone (given that the humor sentences are a lot more fun than the others) - on the contrary, no one takes the "sob" ones. While there was a lot of criticism on the "sob" sentences, we thought it would be fun to make an achievement about that, to balance things a little.

We don't like to think about Winter Voices as a "feminist" game but that's kind of the case actually (and if it succeed that way we are proud of it). Being feminist doesn't mean being tomboyist ; it's not because you can cry and be desperate that you are some sort of woman stereotype.

You can be a princess or a soldier, that's not what makes you a woman anyway.

You can play your character strong or weak, as you please. There is room for every weakness or strength on the path of the soul's redemption. ( :D )

In some cases, you won't be able to laugh, though. I'm thinking of some part of the 4th episode. We could have added the sentences, but no one would have had the "humor" needed to unlock them anyway. ;)

You are not a hero, not even a hero of the soul. You're juste a poor lost girl who had the chance to be still alive with all her members. (or nearly, depending on your choices) That's nice enough for Winter Voices already. ;)

Sincerely,
The Polar Bear

Wow, what a great quote!

You summed up my favourite things about Winter Voices.:D

Major Glory
07-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your answer, Ours Polaire :D