PDA

View Full Version : Game Crashes after Into Movie

illza
07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Any button that would skip the movie immediately causes the crash as well. This include Shift, Insert, Enter, Return, 0/Insert (on the number pad), Z, and X.

I'm running on Windows 7
.net 4.0.30319
xna 4.0.20823.0

i7 930
12Gb ram
GTX 470

All stock settings. Does this with nothing else (other than steam) running as well.

This also happens on Cthulhu Saves the World as well.

Stack trace is only partially visible in the small window:

Press Back to Exit
Exception: Song playback failed. Please verify that the song is not DRM pr....

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.MediaQueue.Play(Song song)
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.MediaPlayer.Play(Son g song)
BoDVIIPC.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Users\ROBERT\doc...

after that is probably irrelevant.

andy4theherd
07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
you probably need to upgrade your system

;)

Strut_Tower
07-13-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm getting the same error in Breath of Death. Cthulhu Saves the World crashed the first time I started it but now launches but I'm not getting any music.

OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard - Asus M4A89TD Pro/USB3
Video Card - ATI Radeon HD 5700

My drivers and OS are all up to date

illza
07-13-2011, 04:31 PM
you probably need to upgrade your system

8P

I should also mention this is also a 64 bit copy of Win7.

Strut_Tower
07-13-2011, 04:33 PM
I found the answer on the Cthulhu Saves the World forum. I had Windows Media Player uninstalled and I guess the game requires it to run. Pretty dumb since it's a worthless program.

illza
07-13-2011, 04:34 PM
/facepalm

RainbowDespair
07-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Yes, the game requires Windows Media Player to run (since we used Microsoft's XNA tools to make the games).

pecet1
07-14-2011, 04:01 AM
I will not say that i demand refund, because i know that steam doesn't have refunds, but i think this is bull♥♥♥♥, i will not install WMP only to play this game sorry, and there are many XNA games which works without that.

nil4t
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I will not say that i demand refund, because i know that steam doesn't have refunds, but i think this is bull♥♥♥♥, i will not install WMP only to play this game sorry, and there are many XNA games which works without that.

Assuming you are using windows 7, it's pretty much already on your computer anyway. You just activate it in control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on or off. You wont even know its there, it will not take over anything that you have other programs set to handle. It wont even make a shortcut on the desktop and when you are done just disable it if you want.

Also, it says on the store page for the game under System Requirements that you need WMP

edit: actually, WMP does take over some file types, but that takes 2 seconds to fix

sirphoenix
07-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Assuming you are using windows 7, it's pretty much already on your computer anyway. You just activate it in control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on or off. You wont even know its there, it will not take over anything that you have other programs set to handle. It wont even make a shortcut on the desktop and when you are done just disable it if you want.

It may be pre-installed on most windows-PCs but just like the IE its a crappy piece of DRM infested malware that i'm always removing from every windows installation I have since 2000.

Also, it says on the store page for the game under System Requirements that you need WMP

Too bad that was added after i bought it.

I'm not gonna install WMP either for this.
Just hoping someday this crappy requirement will be removed.

nyderic
07-16-2011, 12:54 PM
It may be pre-installed on most windows-PCs but just like the IE its a crappy piece of DRM infested malware that i'm always removing from every windows installation I have since 2000.

Too bad that was added after i bought it.

I'm not gonna install WMP either for this.
Just hoping someday this crappy requirement will be removed.

Well the game also has terrible controller support, so just do your best to inform your buddies who might want to buy it **removed** Windows Media Player.

kevinski
07-16-2011, 05:19 PM

It blows my mind that you're still using Windows with an attitude like that. I used to remove software like IE that I didn't use, but I quickly found that it was irritating being unable to use certain software without having the removed components installed.

And how is IE "a crappy piece of DRM infested malware" in any sense? If you've been removing it without using it since 2000, then I'm not surprised that you have such a low opinion of it. It's much better now. Sure, it's not as standards-compliant as other browsers, but it's from from being the turd that a lot of people using other browsers claim. It generally has fewer known security issues than other browsers, as well.

magus05
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Sounds like somebody doesn't understand what DRM and malware actually are.

Jaralax
07-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I am having the same problem with both Breath for Death and Cthulhu saves the World, I have WMP and have reinstalled both .NET and XNA 4.0

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67Ghz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 6500m/5600/5700 Series

Ansive
04-28-2012, 03:00 AM
It's been a few months since I last played. And when I opened the game I'd get a crash saying it cannot playback songs and some info about XNA.

I selected repair from the bundled file xnafx40_redist.msi
Game runs now.

megatoollica
04-28-2012, 10:37 PM

Amen.

Try this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26742421&postcount=1

RMcD94
12-28-2012, 11:59 PM
It blows my mind that you're still using Windows with an attitude like that. I used to remove software like IE that I didn't use, but I quickly found that it was irritating being unable to use certain software without having the removed components installed.

Just because certain software needlessly require other software that doesn't mean we should install that software to satisfy them. Protesting the terrible design is more than valid than just submitting.

The whole ♥♥♥♥ing problem is that it's irritating that things required Windows Media Player or IE, they shouldn't require that.

And how is IE "a crappy piece of DRM infested malware" in any sense? If you've been removing it without using it since 2000, then I'm not surprised that you have such a low opinion of it. It's much better now. Sure, it's not as standards-compliant as other browsers, but it's from from being the turd that a lot of people using other browsers claim. It generally has fewer known security issues than other browsers, as well.

Obviously he hasn't tried the new versions, but it's hardly relevant. If it needed Chrome to run it'd still be a stupid design choice (unless it was like on the Chrome app store or something) which people would be right to criticise.