PDA

View Full Version : This Time Limit in Dialoges is just the stupist thing ever seen.

Burbots Revenge
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Whats this ♥♥♥♥ how should i enjoy the Dialoges in this "RPG" when i have no time to read it and take a good choise.

Is there any mod or soluton to remove this STUPID Time thing?

otherwise game fly out of the window

cccino
07-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Look, I understand why people don't like this feature.

It takes some getting used to. I might be in the minority, but I do like it. Seriously, this game is 50% dialogue and 50% combat. The fighting isn't turn-based, why should the conversations be?

Since you choose your attitude, not your words, it actually works better than the Mass Effect system, IMO. But as stated it takes some getting used to and it's a massive culture shock for a lot of people.

Perducci
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Look, I understand why people don't like this feature.

It takes some getting used to. I might be in the minority, but I do like it. Seriously, this game is 50% dialogue and 50% combat. The fighting isn't turn-based, why should the conversations be?

Since you choose your attitude, not your words, it actually works better than the Mass Effect system, IMO. But as stated it takes some getting used to and it's a massive culture shock for a lot of people.

I agree with you. I was caught off guard at first and it was unsettling. But 5 hours in, I rather like it. It manages to do a number of things. It keeps the conversation flowing at a natural pace instead of talking then long pauses when I decide what to say. Also, it forces you to make quick decisions in conversations--something that everyone tends to do in real life but rarely gets approached in games. And finally, like you mentioned, your conversation is another weapon for you. Just like you have to aim and then take a shot with a gun, you have to think and react with your conversation. If you wait too long the opportunity is gone.

I can understand if people don't like it because they aren't used to it, though. But I at least applaud Alpha Protocol for doing something unique. God forbid we include some innovation in our games these days. If nobody tested the waters then we would never get any brilliant new games and would just play mindless clones of games.

SpectralShade
07-15-2011, 07:06 AM
Agree. Took some time getting used to for me too, but after I got used to it I felt it gave a way better narrative flow. I can see it causing issues for people that aren't fluent in english, though, if they don't feel they get enough time to assimilate the info presented.

Ricardo_73
07-17-2011, 02:35 PM
This is one of the biggest design mistakes in this game in particular and in games history in general. If they want to implement that silly timing, at least they should add 5 seconds more every time. This is my opinion.

SpectralShade
07-20-2011, 11:18 AM
This is one of the biggest design mistakes in this game in particular and in games history in general. If they want to implement that silly timing, at least they should add 5 seconds more every time. This is my opinion.

5 more second would break the flow of the conversations and break the reason for the time limit in the first place: to keep conversations flowing and sound natural.

I don't see it as a design mistake, quite the opposite. :)

pintu
07-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Makes sense really, on Mass Effect your characters would just be standing there for ages while you think what you want to say, i guess Obsidian wanted to make it more realistic

phoenix5
07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I liked it. I agree that at first it was jarring, but it brought a sense of tension to the dialog. Let's face it, in RPGs the dialog is the most boring part. It's neccesary to progress the plot and to uncovere quests, etc, but the action is what you want to get to. I felt the timed dialog in AP made the dialog almost as exciting as the action, and it forced you to pay attention.

To each his own.

03tellis
07-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Its to make sure your decisions are instinctive like they would be if you were actually there in the situations the game dumps you in. Its a much better system in a number of ways.

I think the perfect RPG would have Turn based conversations for regular conversations, but use something like this whenever there are time critical decisions to make.

johnhughthom
08-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Let's face it, in RPGs the dialog is the most boring part.

:confused:

You probably shouldn't be playing RPGs then...

greyghost515
08-06-2011, 01:52 AM

Disagree entirely. The sneaking and H2H is the biggest design mistake in this game (poor mechanics).

I guess the timing during conversations didn't bother me primarily because I already knew about it going in. I played like an hour of it on a friend's 360 and read about it in a few reviews so I was somewhat comfortable with it going in.

SpectralShade
08-06-2011, 07:08 AM
The sneaking and H2H is the biggest design mistake in this game (poor mechanics).

I know some people say they had issues with the stealth bugging for them, although I never experienced it myself, but what did you have against the hand to hand combat in AP? I personally felt it was an improvmenent on the boring excuse of hand to hand combat there were in games like the ME series.

Ricardo_73
08-08-2011, 01:01 PM
5 more second would break the flow of the conversations and break the reason for the time limit in the first place: to keep conversations flowing and sound natural.

I don't see it as a design mistake, quite the opposite. :)

Yes, and the pause when you open any menu is quite unnatural too. How is it possible that you can stop the time just opening a menu? Enemies do not shoot you because you are checking the map? Is that realistic? Oh, wait, it is just a videogame... Games do not need to follow real world rules, but gameplay rules, and I don't think this feature is helping to improve the gameplay at all.

No, seriously, I never felt so stressed about a conversation in real life (maybe for job interviews), actually I think that if I take 5 seconds before answer in real life, nobody will force me to say the "default answer".

dannythefool
08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
The reverse is also true. Nothing forces me to wait for a timeout before I can give the answer I've already picked.

Oh well, they got their answer from the critics and there won't be a second one, no sense complaining.

johnhughthom
08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
It's simple enough to press W, A, S or D when it comes up as each is tied to one particular type of answer. Personally I never worried about the actual content it was more "Hmm, SIE? She likes W. Mina? That a D. What the Heck? That's an S!"

Valdorganos
09-21-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm only at the beginning of the game so I have a flawed point of view. But my feeling is. Firstly I totally disagree those action dialogs are more real.

If I need ask a question I do, here I can't and a lot of dialogs contents is about getting information. But instead of questions I need choose a basic attitude, lol it's almost irony about how superficial we have evolved.

For the arguing that during action you need react fact to any dialog, I seriously doubt real life similar action rely on such real time dialogs, lol or here we get one of the reason why the world is going mad.

That mentioned and have the voices not in my native language doesn't help, but I admit that even if I feel it superficial to have choose attitudes, anyway it seems work after some time to get used of the speed. It's different but it's one more dumbed down stuff, and one more evolution to satisfy need of more hurry and less thinking, something that young of any time have always been tempted to.