PDA

View Full Version : Some games causing gfx card to make very weird noises

DINOSAUR!!
07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Sometimes when playing or loading a game, I can hear very weird noises coming from my graphics card. It's like a buzzing noise that modulates whenever different images come on screen. It doesn't happen for all my games, but it freaks me out when it does.

Is my card taking damage and what can I do to correct this?

borg_7_of_9
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Are u shore it from the graphics card and not the power supply sounds like coil whine to me...
Could be a dodgy cap..

Euphytose
07-14-2011, 03:15 PM
I have the very same thing happening with my GTX 460, and the same thing happened with my GTX 285, it's because the framerate is too high.

Tthorlord
07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I have the very same thing happening with my GTX 460, and the same thing happened with my GTX 285, it's because the framerate is too high.

this is pretty much it.

i've had this problem with minecraft on two different computers.
i limit the framerate and the problem goes away.

Euphytose
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
this is pretty much it.

i've had this problem with minecraft on two different computers.
i limit the framerate and the problem goes away.

Do you have any program which won't harm the card and will limit the rendered framerate at the source?

Like, I put the limit at 100 and it will never exceed this value in any program, is this possible?

Tthorlord
07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Do you have any program which won't harm the card and will limit the rendered framerate at the source?

Like, I put the limit at 100 and it will never exceed this value in any program, is this possible?

Vsynch usually does it for most of my games. i have had it enabled on every game i play (mostly becuase i hate screen tearing)
but minecraft doesnt have that, i only figured out the buzzing thing when one patch introduced the ability to change framerates. played with it and discovered the cause for the noise.

Euphytose
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Vsynch usually does it for most of my games. i have had it enabled on every game i play (mostly becuase i hate screen tearing)
but minecraft doesnt have that, i only figured out the buzzing thing when one patch introduced the ability to change framerates. played with it and discovered the cause for the noise.

Well, as I stated in my other thread I can't enable VSync, otherwise my mouse takes like 2 seconds to react.

DINOSAUR!!
07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
thanks for the input guys. i'll be sure to limit my framerate in games that do this.

i'll also make sure my psu is in shape, thanks for the tip

Tthorlord
07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, as I stated in my other thread I can't enable VSync, otherwise my mouse takes like 2 seconds to react.

ahh snap, you enabled tripple buffering?
i imagine you did... hrm, i honestly dont know of any software that would limit framerates. it would have to be something on the GPU driver i would imagine though.

PwrUsr
07-15-2011, 12:15 PM
FPS limiting through game options or game config files is always much, much better than resorting to using Vsync. Even with triple-buffering you can always end up with lags.

If the issue persists even after throttling the card, you might possibly be looking at a main power problem or a failing card. Components buzzing and/or whining is usually characteristic of power coils or voltage regulator circuits dying or running out of spec.