PDA

View Full Version : When does steam add games for pre-order?

Cervidanti
07-15-2011, 09:01 AM
I want to pre-order Saints Row 3 (I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY BEFORE YOU GIVE ME ANYTHING IN RETURN, STEAM) but steam won't let me, even though retailers and other places will.

How long before release does steam usually allow pre-ordering?

Medevila
07-15-2011, 09:03 AM
How long before release does the publisher usually allow pre-ordering?

Rephrased that for you. Steam has no control over that kind of thing.

Lichens
07-15-2011, 09:03 AM
you will be able to pre-order it when the chicken cross the road ..

BlackTiger1337
07-15-2011, 09:04 AM
I think its when its like 2-3 months left.

Alavard
07-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I imagine the way it works is that the publishers (or developers directly in the case of Indie/self-published games), engage the Steam client relations team, and the Steam reps give a list of all the features Steam has available for the game.

- Pre-ordering
- Discounts/Sales
- Preloading (tho I'm sure only relatively big name games are elligible for this in the first place)
- Cross-game promotions
- Package deals
- etc

The publisher then would decide which of these things they want for their title. Things like this are probably completely up to the publisher.

Get in contact with the publisher through their own forums if you can, as well as spreading the word on Steam.

MADDOGGE
07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Some games don't get pre-orders and some aren't even available for days or weeks after the game has released in the B&M stores and every other DD in the world has the game. Really up to the publisher.

So basically it when the Publisher gives the go ahead and only then.

Cedge
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
There is no standard for this whatsoever. Some games become available for pre-purchase months ahead of launch. Some games never show up in the coming soon section at all, and just suddenly launch on Steam. So, there isn't really a "usual" for this.

However, the particular game you're asking about is already available for pre-purchase now:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/55230/?snr=1_4_4__105_1