PDA

View Full Version : Steam Matchmaking

3x0r10
07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't really sure how GFWL matchmaking facility works, whether it's using dedicated server or not... but it seems very intuitive and very user friendly.

I can find multiplayer games within the older/abandoned games (in this case Red Faction Guerilla & Dirt 2) easily... and fast, rather than browsing list of dedicated servers.

Might aswell utilize or add this kind of facility to steam? Since steam have collected regional data, connection quality and such... then probably integrate to future steamplay games.

This would be very awesome.

vtor67
07-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Valve says matchmaking will become part of steamworks around the time Dota 2 (http://www.dota2.com/) is released (check the FAQs on that page).

And I think you mean steamWORKS games, not steamplay. steamplay just refers to the fact that a purchased game can be played on Mac OS X and Windows without buying 2 copies of the game (doesnt necessarily have to use steamworks).

Steamworks is the collection of APIs that game developers can use to take advantage of the steam community/features.

3x0r10
07-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Valve says matchmaking will become part of steamworks around the time Dota 2 (http://www.dota2.com/) is released (check the FAQs on that page).

And I think you mean steamWORKS games, not steamplay. steamplay just refers to the fact that a purchased game can be played on Mac OS X and Windows without buying 2 copies of the game (doesnt necessarily have to use steamworks).

Steamworks is the collection of APIs that game developers can use to take advantage of the steam community/features.

sounds awesome to hear!

hopefully it will be implemented to older source games and steam-published indie games too... like DogFighter... it's a great game but too bad the servers are not populated enough. Just lack of publicity I guess. But the devs are focusing on other projects.

So I'll just hope that indie devs will utilize steamworks to its fullest potential in their future products.

Epsilon
07-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Steam does have matchmaking. The most obvious example is in L4D.

SM darren
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
console-like matchmaking (like halo 2) is one thing i always felt PC was missing..for some reason the server browser selection just seems boring and repetitive because you always end up on the servers you get good ping on, which are always the same ones

Beholda
07-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Dawn of War 2: Retribution already uses Steam matchmaking.

Crossing2000
07-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Yeah but you have to factor in VALVe time.