PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Smaxx
07-18-2011, 12:35 PM
First of all:
A nice little game. Was a blind purchase and don't regret it.
If you've played old platforming classics on the NES (not talking about Super Mario Bros series) then this game might be the right kind of game for you.

While I like the game (especially the music) there's one thing that really annoys me (in case Devs read this forum, which I assume):

Game controls!

Issue #1:
First of all, the predefined button schema and the colors used in the game are VERY misleading when using a xbox 360 controller with the built in gamepad scheme. The colors should match the buttons. I know I'm able to reassign keys and such but for a default config this is still confusing. Well, there are other gamepads as well, but I don't think they'll use colored buttons?

Issue #2:
I entered controls reconfiguration by accident (wanted to activate the gamepad scheme) and had no way out. Trying to leave the configuration (e.g. pressing ESC) I just set a weird key configuration. If there's a way to cancel, it's not clear enough to see it at a glance.

Issue #3:
There's something wrong with menu controls when using the Xbox360 controller's d-pad. When I use it to move the menu entry up or down, the selection moves twice. I guess there's something wrong with the events firing. Using the analog stick I had no issues using the menu.

Other than these tiny issues: Very nice game!

Oh, and another small note: At first I was a bit confused about the timers displayed and such and "where to go". You should try to make it more clear on where to go (at least during first few levels). Also the specials felt a bit weird to use as I wasn't able to use balloons or the rope from time to time. This might depend on players position? If so, please make it more obvious.

And yet another entry, just coming into my mind: When I launched the game for the first time I had a black screen, heard music, but nothing happened (about 10-20 seconds). If there's some loading time involved (and it wasn't just my computer), please try to add some "Loading" text so people know the game isn't stuck in some kind of weird black screen glitch or whatever.

Setw88
07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I couldnt agree more, the game looks amazing and is a must buy for people that likes the old Nes games. But the controlls are the issue, i dont have the problem with the black screen though.

I hope there will be a patch or a update so you can choose a better way to controll the characthers.

Since it seems like there is going to be more games of Tobe, you would proably have to fix that issue.

But all in all the game looks amazing and the music is so well done, i would say it is worth the small amount of money you must pay.

darkpuppy
07-18-2011, 01:46 PM
I've not had the black screen problem myself, but I do agree the controls are a little awkward. As to finding your way, I took wild guesses and still did okay... not brilliant, but okay... now I've got the rough idea, and know the level is wraparound, it's all good...

...main issue, control wise? okay, I understand now you have to hold L to use the balloon, and i understand now that the rope is one block to the right/left (whichever way you're facing) of where you are, and has some sort of height limit (not certain about that)... but that was quite a few wasted ropes...

Still, overall, I like this, am gonna be giving it a fairly good score when reviewing it later this week, and found it quite amusing so far! Good score-attack oldschool platformer, really! Let the "perfect run" videos... commence! (If they haven't already!)

lordbarni
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking about buying this but i have a few questions first:

1, You mentioned that there are some problems with the controls if your using a gamepad...but how are the keyboard controls? Or is this a game that should be played with a gamepad?

2, How hard is the game? Some of the old NES games were pretty darn hard :D

3, How long is it? If it's longer that 3,59 hours i'm happy. :)

Somehow the graphics and stlye reminds me of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure which I loved :) I might end up looking that one up on one of my old floppys :D

zoinks99
07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
「かわいいね~★♪」 ... (Okay, I said it. Now I feel dirty for some reason.)

I wish they'd post a demo.

ARGHNOTHINGWORK
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
First of all:

Game controls!

Issue #1:
First of all, the predefined button schema and the colors used in the game are VERY misleading when using a xbox 360 controller with the built in gamepad scheme. The colors should match the buttons. I know I'm able to reassign keys and such but for a default config this is still confusing. Well, there are other gamepads as well, but I don't think they'll use colored buttons?

Issue #2:
I entered controls reconfiguration by accident (wanted to activate the gamepad scheme) and had no way out. Trying to leave the configuration (e.g. pressing ESC) I just set a weird key configuration. If there's a way to cancel, it's not clear enough to see it at a glance.

agree with that issue

other thing I think is. Hopefully we can get a patch to change the music volume ? or to disable it.

I know this may seem like a kick in the teeth, I love game music. but sometimes I also like listening to King Crimson, and don't want sweet game music bursting in.

Thanks devs if you read this :) hopefully you've made a good game

darkpuppy
07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking about buying this but i have a few questions first:

1, You mentioned that there are some problems with the controls if your using a gamepad...but how are the keyboard controls? Or is this a game that should be played with a gamepad?

2, How hard is the game? Some of the old NES games were pretty darn hard :D

3, How long is it? If it's longer that 3,59 hours i'm happy. :)

Somehow the graphics and stlye reminds me of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure which I loved :) I might end up looking that one up on one of my old floppys :D

I can sorta see where you're coming from on the Cosmo front, but I'd say it's a bit more modern looking than that. Still, to answer your questions.

1) The game does seem to have some minor response issues with controls in general. Maybe that's just me, but I've played with gamepad and with keyboard, and I found the same problem... once in a short while, the controls briefly become either too responsive, or not responsive enough... rarely bad enough to kill you, but enough to make you lose up to about 5 seconds as you ♥♥♥♥ a maneuver up and have to do it again. Doesn't detract from the enjoyment a lot, tbh... as to whether it's playable on a keyboard? yeah, just fine.

2) It's... i guess it's cosmo/keen kinda hard. Not because you can't just breeze through levels if you've got half the reflexes of an oldschool platformer like you or I, because you can... but because, if you're an oldschool platformer, you'll feel the need to collect everything... and that, in the third and fourth worlds, can be bally hard!

3) I'd say it takes about 2 hours to finish each story mode max, less if you're speedrunning. The levels are the same, but the characters play differently (not to mention co-op mode adding a dimension), so... overall, 4 hours for the SP portion if you're good, add an hour on if you're okay, and, of course, if you do co-op, change that 2 hour estimate to reflect the abilities of both you and your mate. Remember, just like another indie game with low-ish play time, the replay value is entirely score-attack based.

Tbh, it comes out value wise(with score attack factored in), at around 50p an hour if you're into score attack. yeah, that sounds about right. But it does seem quite fun, and I don't have any regrets paying for it.

lordbarni
07-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I can sorta see where you're coming from on the Cosmo front, but I'd say it's a bit more modern looking than that. Still, to answer your questions.

Thanks for the answers i'll probably pick it up tomorrow ;)

Saijin_Naib
07-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Controls are miserable. J and K are hard-bound to ESC and ENTER? What the hell?

Other than that, the game looks and plays nice thus far. Just give proper control binds and configurable ESC/Enter buttons in the control remapping scheme and I'm happy.

Tresob77
07-22-2011, 03:06 PM
This is a charming little game, and I mean that in a positive sense.

You might consider this an at-home date night kind of game...kind of a Neo-Bubble Bobble, if you are at a point in your life where that is actually passable as a date.

It's very brief, but it's still cheaper than a movie ticket, so that's fair enough.

I do echo some of the concerns about play controls. The characters aren't quite as responsive as I'd like (or maybe they are too responsive?). And there are some strange choices that were made in moving characters. For instance, if one character enters through a door or portal, both characters are whisked to the other side, no matter what the other player was trying to do. This takes some getting used to the first couple of times it happens.

And there was also a weird glitch where we pulled the chain at the end of a level, teleported to a doorway, and the second player could only move in and out of the door...meaning we had to restart the level from scratch.

To end on a positive note, though, I totally support what the developers are trying to do with this game. It's cute, quirky, and retro (there's a tinge of Scott Pilgrim to the thing as well). So, I'm rooting for you, Secret Base.

Secret Base
07-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback so far. Tobe's Vertical Adventure is not just one of our first game, but also a very personal one and it's hard for me to describe how happy I am to know that players like yourself are truly enjoying the game, and liking it.

As for the problems with the controls, we've release several fix across the past few days, so it should be much better now, and we will continue to improve the controls as we receive more feedbacks.

Please keep your feedback coming as it's not just great motivation for us, but it's only then, we can continue to improve and make better games.