PDA

View Full Version : Am I xenophobic? (It's tf2 related)

Luna Breaker
07-20-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm from Europe, UK specifically, so there are many cultures already present in my TF2 games.

Yes, I play on UK servers mainly, sometimes I diverge from that rule sometimes. However, what I've noticed happens often in UK servers as well.

I just came out of a match where 5 players had in their names, meaning they're from Italy. These, on the UK servers. Now the thing that does annoy me is that they spoke absolutely 0 English besides the usual "U SUCK NUB" and spammed their mic with Italian, which was upsetting the players there as they were trying to talk and form some kind of coordinated defense+ attack.

This is common. From all my online games I've noticed this and they're mostly Italian, French and Spanish, who speak absolutely no English. Online.

To me, that's really confusing as I'm aware that English is mandatory in school nowadays in Europe up to High School, but they still can't speak it [I]at all? I thought this was the age of information, and if you live in Europe I'd expect you to be at least bilingual, depending on your country.

I dunno why but it does upset and it does make me act out once I start hearing them pretty much spamming in Italian and simply not listening to anything else we try to communicate, as they simply don't speak English.

Can anyone relate to this? I know these are mainly American forums as such there's not going to be that much of an issue with multi-languages but I'd just like to try and discuss it.

I just don't understand how you can join a server which is meant for communication in English and do whatever you want with it. English as far as I know is a main class in every school in Europe so why can't you speak it?

Hamster Gutz
07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Well I can relate to this IRL. I live in Arizona and if you didn't know we have a lot of Mexicans here(not that there's anything wrong with that). But a lot of them don't speak English and it's frustrating, but I can't relate in game because the only time I join a non english server is when I use the quick play feature, which for some reason puts me in servers with 500ping.

LOOY
07-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Yeah it is irritating, but I just mute anyone that speaks any language I don't understand. I'd expect them to do the same to me if went to a French/German server and blabbed on at them in english then screamed the 1 or 2 swear words I know in their language at them whenever they tried to tell me to shut up.

DigitalBoy
07-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Well, you could always mute them.

Luna Breaker
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Well, you could always mute them.

I could also become King of Europe and make English mandatory in all countries and build a gigantic doomsday DEVICE TO COMPLETELY OBLITERA--

Okay, thing is, I know methods to at least ignore such players but they're still taking up a slot.

I Bad
07-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Xenophobic would be hating anybody simply because they're from other places. It sounds more like you're frustrated because you can't communicate.

So I'd say no. Now, if you find yourself absolutely enraged that somebody dare be born anywhere but your country with your skin color and your religious beliefs, then yes, you might be xenophobic.

F dot
07-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Would you like an English person constantly using mic going "BLA BLA BLA"?

Nope.

So that's probably why you don't like foreign chat as you cant understand it and it's just random noise.

If they're on a UK server then they're just being ignorant, but at the same time if there's 5 of them then it's much easier for them to talk their native language & with this being the internet who cares about teamwork/what other people think, herp.

DigitalBoy
07-20-2011, 07:36 AM
but they're still taking up a slot.

So? A muted Italian is just another player, with the exception that they can't communicate with you in any meaningful way, which wouldn't be unheard of in public servers.

|PoisonHeadcrab
07-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I've had experiences like these as well.

Even though I can speak Russian and German, which covers a lot of those cases from where I live, it's still quite irritating when people can't speak English. They usually just isolate themselves from the rest of the community, and when in groups act reckless towards communications not in their language, which gives the rest of the players that annoying "in-your-face"-experience.

Sash08
07-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Sometimes I'm amazed how some cultures just refuse to teach/learn english. Both in-game and in real life. I myself am from Holland, and because we have such a small (meaning-less) language, we all get schooled in English, German and French. So, most of us can speak and write English pretty well.

But other, bigger European countries just don't use languages other than their own that frequently. Take Germany, where most tv-channels have only german dubbed tv-programs. They even dub English movies :S.

I'm not saying people from those big country's don't know any English, cause that's not just true, but they just... Kind of prefer not to use it, i guess..

Sublime2k
07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
I don't like Russians who assume everyone knows Russian and cyrillic alphabet even though they're not on Russian server.

16Bitman
07-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Sometimes I'm amazed how some cultures just refuse to teach/learn english. Both in-game and in real life. I myself am from Holland, and because we have such a small (meaning-less) language, we all get schooled in English, German and French. So, most of us can speak and write English pretty well.

But other, bigger European countries just don't use languages other than their own that frequently. Take Germany, where most tv-channels have only german dubbed tv-programs. They even dub English movies :S.

I'm not saying people from those big country's don't know any English, cause that's not just true, but they just... Kind of prefer not to use it, i guess..

Don't act like Germany is one of these "We're teaching our children only our language because it's the best" countries.
English is a main subject on my school, fail it and prepare to have big problems with passing the year.
Afaik they even started to teach english in the first or seccond year of the elementary school.

But you're right, I almost never hear english on TV and most kids I know only stick to german websites.

Edit: Looks like this got moved to the Off-Topic section of this forum.
Uhm...
Hi not TF2/P2 players!

Th4n
07-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Just learn some foreign language

But come on, if they can't speak well enough and are with a couple of friends online, why blame them? It's a game

psihomir2
07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Don't act like Germany is one of these "We're teaching our children only our language because it's the best" countries.
English is a main subject on my school, fail it and prepare to have big problems with passing the year.
Afaik they even started to teach english in the first or seccond year of the elementary school.

In addition, I'm currently studying my degree in Germany and when I was looking for a job, the one thing that was in the requirements of pretty much every big company was "must be fluent in English." They hardly even speak German in some of these companies...

EddieZaic
07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Just learn some foreign language

But come on, if they can't speak well enough and are with a couple of friends online, why blame them? It's a game

"Why hello there, a griefer, he seems to be trapping my team in a teleporter trap. Oh well, it's just a game, COMING THROUGH!"

psihomir2
07-20-2011, 08:07 AM
"Why hello there, a griefer, he seems to be trapping my team in a teleporter trap. Oh well, it's just a game, COMING THROUGH!"

Because speaking on the mic in a game where muting someone takes 2 mouse clicks is totally the same as griefing.

I think you really have no reason to get angry over this when a simple solution is in your hands :)

gossamer
07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
We just list rules that say you can only text chat and voip in english. We have a lot of german players in our community, almost all of them are fairly fluent in english, if they aren't they'll usually hang around the other germans instead and just talk to them in TS3.

bluz74
07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
It's "Team Fortress Duo"! :mad:

Hivomnomnom
07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
I hate when Brazillian people say FDP. It's so annoying. Like, I understand it's basically the equivelant of BS, but you don't see English speaking people going BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBS yet a lot of Brazilians do just that "FDP FDP FDP FDP" in the same sentence. I don't know why it gets on my nerves so much.

λLλN
07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Xenophobic would be hating anybody simply because they're from other places. It sounds more like you're frustrated because you can't communicate.

Exactly! It's a language barrier, for all you (OP) know you could be the best of friends with these Italian guys, if only you spoke the same language or came from the same culture.

But as others have said, just mute them if it's annoying you.

EDIT: I propose Valve invents the Universal translator!

Just_Chilling
07-20-2011, 08:24 AM
English is mandatory in school nowadays in Europe up to High School, but they still can't speak it at all?

I'm, sadly, Italian, and i can tell you that the medium intelligence level is basically 0.
Our entire nation elected a guy that could make Nixon look good.
And he screwed up basically everything our country had, from health care to the school sistem.
I assure you, 90% of the Italian guys you'll meet will be like that.
We're even worse than any other country you can think of, but much less known.
So, don't be surprised.

ggplayer
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
I think it's quite rude. Unless its specifically their server (country), they should speak whatever the server's language is. If they don't want to, they should get a teamspeak/vent/mumble server or even multi-steam chat and use voice chat.

Same with immigrants. If you're not just visiting and plan to live in a country that doesn't speak your native language, learn the new language.

I have a family friend whos lived here 10 years and they still can't speak fluent English. They can understand simple language and gestures but cannot effectively communicate beyond pleasentries. They need somebody to translate for them for serious stuff. They only interact within their community. It baffles me.

If I move to Japan, I could probably survive there without learning a word of Japanese since it's been westernized, but what would be the point?

Luna Breaker
07-20-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm, sadly, Italian, and i can tell you that the medium intelligence level is basically 0.
Our entire nation elected a guy that could make Nixon look good.
And he screwed up basically everything our country had, from health care to the school sistem.
I assure you, 90% of the Italian guys you'll meet will be like that.
We're even worse than any other country you can think of, but much less known.
So, don't be surprised.

You're the first Italian I know that can speak English and do a proper job at it. I salute you sir, thanks for making me regain faith in your nationality. :)

Europhoria
07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm guessing the servers I play on filter IP's for this very reason so that only Australians and New Zealanders are able to connect. We do get the occasional American but that's pretty rare. Rarer still are the people from Korea and China/Taiwan but they're usually silent.

Mogh
07-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I live in Europe but I like to stay up and play TF2 late in the evenings so I also play on US servers a lot, and I definitely prefer playing on US servers because there almost everybody speaks the same language. On the EU servers people are either silent or they speak some language noone else understands. It's a real shame, communication and teamwork are an important and fun part of playing TF2 in my opinion.
The situation is indeed a little puzzeling, I too assume that in most if not all EU countries people learn at least basic English in school, but perhaps that's a misconception? :confused:

Holiday Seal
07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
You know what the solution to that is?

Griefing.

Now go out there and grief those damn foreigners!

One thing I like to do is speak gibberish that sounds just like them, but use the voice of a stereotypical re tard. that will force them to try and speak in your language.

Join their team and go around killing them if friendly fire is on, do all of this until they are so fed up with being made fun of, that they leave or split up the team by joining the other team.

I can't speak specifics because I've only played TF2 briefly, it's not, imo, even a remotely good game, but I suspect it may be a good game for griefing in.

tibetanpunk
07-20-2011, 11:43 AM
One of the great things about TF2 (I don't play since it became hat fortress and shat itself) is that you can use the in-game character voice communications pretty effectively without really having to use real voice much.

Of course, it helps...But, you can transcend language barriers by using the in-game voice (it is region specific isn't it?).

Draek
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
No, you're not xenophobic, just arrogant (in thinking that everyone else in Europe should speak a perfect English) and naive (in not realizing that communicating with each other in a language your enemy does not understand is a great way to gain the upper hand over him).

I play on Latin American servers, I usually get a few Brazilians speaking Portuguese over there, I deal with it just fine. I'd suggest you do likewise, because you ain't changing the entirety of Europe to suit your tastes.

λLλN
07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
not realizing that communicating with each other in a language your enemy does not understand is a great way to gain the upper hand over him

Or just swap sides :p

Flyingcow1103
07-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Or laugh at them for talking trash in what I presume to be a pub.