PDA

View Full Version : I'm just spinning around, spinning around... Controller issues

Screamin_Abdabs
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Has anyone been able to set this game up with a pad like controller - rather than stearing wheel? I'm trying to use a Saitek controller (has 2 analogue sticks) but it's like an old binary thing. either full lock or nothing. No control inbetween. Have googled and there was a suggestion to change the config file to be pad rather than auto, but no effect at all.

Fiddling with the advanced settings has helped to the extent that I can now get around a corner, backwards, in a cloud of smoke, but I got round... just.

Help?

TrevHead
07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
I was just kind of making this point in another thread. The last time I played racers was during the PS1 era with Gran Turismo 1&2 and Colin Macrae Rally 1.

It seems that modern racers are designed with stock 360 / Ps3 pads and how the analog sticks and buttons are designed. As im a std PC gamepad user I too find these games unplayable with PC pads.

Unless there's some way to congfigure the game so that it controls well with a PC pad with no analog buttons. It might be best just to buy a 360 pad or go and play a racer thats exclusive to the C and is designed with PC pads in mind.

For me im gonna buy this game and wait to play it when I pick up a wired 360 pad.

Esparko
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Perhaps it's something with your gamepad.
I play with a 360 controller and it's working perfectly. The analog sticks and triggers on my pad respond to small movements and it's not just "full lock or nothing".

Has this been an issue with your other games or is just GRID?

Screamin_Abdabs
07-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Perhaps it's something with your gamepad.
I play with a 360 controller and it's working perfectly. The analog sticks and triggers on my pad respond to small movements and it's not just "full lock or nothing".

Has this been an issue with your other games or is just GRID?

Hi - in a word no. All other games that I use it on are OK. More googleing however has shown that there might be an issue with this make -someone else had a very similar problem and ended up going the 360 route. Me? I'd prefer not to give Micro$oft even more money... If I can help it...

Esparko
07-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi - in a word no. All other games that I use it on are OK. More googleing however has shown that there might be an issue with this make -someone else had a very similar problem and ended up going the 360 route. Me? I'd prefer not to give Micro$oft even more money... If I can help it...

Then that is up to you.

If you don't want to give money to Microsoft then all I can suggest is just research into 3rd party gamepads that are fully functional with this game.

Stile451
07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
You could buy a second hand 360 controller. Microsoft gets no money from your purchase and you get a controller that works.

MADDOGGE
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
If it old enough to be a serial device it's probably not going to work correctly. The way it was explained to me by Logitech(yes I know your device is Saitek), when I had to retire my old wheel because it wouldn't work with newer race games is it has to do with the difference between a serial devise and a true usb devices and the amount of data being transferred and where the data is processed compared to the old days of serial controllers.

BTW thanks for reminding me of my old joystick. My 360 controller doesn't work well with Midnight club2 but my old serial joystick might.

Screamin_Abdabs
07-20-2011, 03:35 PM
If it old enough to be a serial device it's probably not going to work correctly. The way it was explained to me by Logitech(yes I know your device is Saitek), when I had to retire my old wheel because it wouldn't work with newer race games is it has to do with the difference between a serial devise and a true usb devices and the amount of data being transferred and where the data is processed compared to the old days of serial controllers.

BTW thanks for reminding me of my old joystick. My 360 controller doesn't work well with Midnight club2 but my old serial joystick might.

Hi - nope sorry its a USB of about 3 years ago, so not 'cutting edge' but about as old as the game. So it should (ha) work. I bet its a stupid windows 7 compatibly thing.

Screamin_Abdabs
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Then that is up to you.

If you don't want to give money to Microsoft then all I can suggest is just research into 3rd party gamepads that are fully functional with this game.

Fair enough - any ideas anyone? What pads do you use (other than a 360) and are they compatible? Beats me why mine isn't...

zzcitizen_snips
07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't know why anyone wouldn't buy the xbox controller, as it's implemented in just about every game that supports it. All you do is plug it in a go..

rgrayhek
07-20-2011, 07:21 PM
yep 360 controller works great no problems at all.

pappavis
07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
either full lock or nothing. No control inbetween.

Same problem here with Logitech F710 wireless pad, bought it speicifcilly to play this game. Even thougt the game controllers shows that the Lef/Right joysticks on the pad are motion sensitive, in game.. no effect. Its either 100% or nothing. Makes steering reallly difficult!

Screamin_Abdabs
07-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Hmmm,

Does - at present - look like this game is broken for any pad other than an xbox 360. Borrowed a stearing wheel and it worked fine. Thing is I don't have room for one of these, which is why I use a pad. Has anyone got this thing to work with any game pad other than an xbox controller?

pappavis
07-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Got it working perfectly on the Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad :).

On the back of the pad, change the switch from "D" to "X".

Screamin_Abdabs
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Got it working perfectly on the Logitech F710 Wireless gamepad :).

On the back of the pad, change the switch from "D" to "X".

Thanks for the reply - glad someone can get this thing to work. Any idea what that switch does? My controller doesn't have this.

El Magic Diablo
08-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Hmmm,

Does - at present - look like this game is broken for any pad other than an xbox 360. Borrowed a stearing wheel and it worked fine. Thing is I don't have room for one of these, which is why I use a pad. Has anyone got this thing to work with any game pad other than an xbox controller?

There is a workaround method:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/10624624/Quick_Fix____Any_Gamepad_for_Grid

Basically you replace the actionMapPreset.xml file. I used it for my Logitech Dual Action and it worked great. I no longer use it though because I bought a wired 360 controller.