PDA

View Full Version : Patch 5.1

ZealTheSavior
07-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Anyone know when it will be available on Steam? It's up on the paradox forums but they say that steam users will have to wait for steam to update it.

Heliocon
07-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Well hopefully not too long, it adds/fixes alot of stuff.

MiscNoob
07-23-2011, 02:23 PM
If you browse to your EU3 directory within steam, in my case it's:

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete

Run the eu3.exe launcher and click check for updates, you can download the patch there and it applies fine, been playing for a bit without any problems, although you *may* need to tell steam to never update EU3's game files, not sure.

Dragoon.x
07-24-2011, 01:17 AM
BTW the patch removes DRM so you don't even need Steam to run it anymore. Feel free to move the folder to an other location to make sure Steam won't update. Otherwise I recommend to make a backup of the folder before patching. Should Steam update and the pre-applied patch mess up Steam updating you can easily restore without reinstalling.

Truenova
07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
The launcher doesn't find any updates for me but the patch is also located on the paradox forum at the below link.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?392267-All-EU3-PATCHES-and-REFERENCE-EU3-checksums-and-datestamps&p=11902377&viewfull=1#post11902377

Wheem
07-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Ugh, the patch still isn't available through Steam, what gives? :mad:

Nonomu198
07-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Ugh, the patch still isn't available through Steam, what gives? :mad:

When the laziness of both Paradox and Valve join forces, terrible things happen.

42 = the answer
08-01-2011, 10:23 AM
When the laziness of both Paradox and Valve join forces, terrible things happen.

Heh indeed, but in this case the ball lies completely with Steam though; Paradox has already given the patch through.

In other news: Paradox-connect is finally fixed, you can get achievements with 5.1 now!

tj218
08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
BUMP!

Let's get this patch implemented STEAM.

louchy
08-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Can I has patch now pls?

42 = the answer
08-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Yes Steam, hurry up! :D

w00ties
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Is it still not here? I always thought Steam was really quick with patches.

Is that not why people say it's better than Microsoft's XBox Live patch implementation procedure?

Is it possible that it's Paradox's fault?

ribaluigi
08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I have wrote a guide here that allows you to update the game without wasting your time wayting for Steam:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24132282

Hope it can help,

Luigi

Def Zep
08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
A note for those trying to manually install patch 5.1:

I ordered the 2 spritepacks for EU3 along with my copy of EU3 Chronicles on Steam.

What I've found is, even when I set my Steam account to "Do not (automatically) update this game" for EU3...It does so anyway.

What happens is, the game loads, Steam sees the DLC one ordered is not present, and downloads it.

This is problematical for patch 5.1 since, if Steam re-engages, it reverts the installation of EU3 to the (current) Steam-approved version, 5.0. (This is covered in a bit more detail on Paradox' own forums.)

You may be able to solve this dilemma by copying your EU3 installation to another location outside of the Steamapps folder on your HD. Just wanted to note it for those who may be trying to use 5.1 while we wait for Steam to make it available.

Hope that helps.

Kalitz
08-06-2011, 05:07 PM
This is freaking ridiculous. How long are they gonna convert the new patch to steam? freaking year? should have bought it on gg.

skooma
08-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Just download the patch through the launcher, EU3.exe, in the game folder. Then install it. It works fine and the checksum is the same so you can play online and get achievements.

gabdewulf
08-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Yeah, Skooma don't think they are paying attention. It works btw and you get an updated game in minutes.

w00ties
08-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Just download the patch through the launcher, EU3.exe, in the game folder. Then install it. It works fine and the checksum is the same so you can play online and get achievements.

Yeah, Skooma don't think they are paying attention. It works btw and you get an updated game in minutes.

Good news.

Hopefully it won't negatively impact the game when Steam officially releases the patch though.

dutch81
08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
It won't update for me like that ... I get all kinds of error messages and even when I click ignore in the end it gets hung up and I have to abort.

By the way as we all know by now Paradox released the update to Steam already for some time ... this is completely a Steam issue and completely unacceptable service.

w00ties
08-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Try copying your EU folder to a different location (Ex. C:\Games\EU3\) and then updating it with the exe. I'm not sure if it's a necessary step, but I remember reading about somebody recommending that on the Paradox forums.

Note: I thought you had to move your folder before updating, but according to a post in this thread (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?549989-Divine-Wind-5.1-Patch-now-released./page19&) you actually update first and then move the folder before launch.

By the way as we all know by now Paradox released the update to Steam already for some time ... this is completely a Steam issue and completely unacceptable service.

Do we know that for certain though? I've been trying to find info regarding this issue for a while and haven't seen any announcement from Paradox claiming they sent the patch to Valve. Perhaps PI are still working on a Steam compatible patch?

Saranis
08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Do we know that for certain though? I've been trying to find info regarding this issue for a while and haven't seen any announcement from Paradox claiming they sent the patch to Valve. Perhaps PI are still working on a Steam compatible patch?

Yes, we know this for certain. Read through the Paradox Forums thread Here (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?549989-Divine-Wind-5.1-Patch-now-released.) and you will come across a post from a developer. Sorry, but I cant be bothered going through 21 pages of posts looking for you.

Edit: Yes I can, it was on the first page, you just didn't actually look at all for yourself. Post. (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?549989-Divine-Wind-5.1-Patch-now-released.&p=12654933&viewfull=1#post12654933)

sagasta
08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Post. (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?549989-Divine-Wind-5.1-Patch-now-released.&p=12654933&viewfull=1#post12654933)

They said "Steam will do their update soon." But +17 days aren't soon.

Saranis
08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
A note for those trying to manually install patch 5.1:

I ordered the 2 spritepacks for EU3 along with my copy of EU3 Chronicles on Steam.

What I've found is, even when I set my Steam account to "Do not (automatically) update this game" for EU3...It does so anyway.

What happens is, the game loads, Steam sees the DLC one ordered is not present, and downloads it.

This is problematical for patch 5.1 since, if Steam re-engages, it reverts the installation of EU3 to the (current) Steam-approved version, 5.0. (This is covered in a bit more detail on Paradox' own forums.)

You may be able to solve this dilemma by copying your EU3 installation to another location outside of the Steamapps folder on your HD. Just wanted to note it for those who may be trying to use 5.1 while we wait for Steam to make it available.

Hope that helps.

I can't speak for owners of the spritepacks, I'll leave that to you, however I've never had the game "revert" back to 5.0 on any of the beta patches in the past 8 months while divine wind has been out. Nor has it reverted back now that 5.1 is officially out.

I know, but Paradox doesn't convert the patches for steam, Valve does that. This is far from the first time that a game patch has been delayed for weeks on Steam after being released for the other distribution platforms. Once the patch has been sent to Valve for conversion its out of the Paradox Interactive Developers hands. PI cant do anything about it as they don't have access to the Steam servers to patch.

ZealTheSavior
08-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Taking into consideration Valve time, 17+ days is actually a short amount of time.

dutch81
08-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Taking into consideration Valve time, 17+ days is actually a short amount of time.

Is Valve time different from the standard:
60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 hour
24 hours = 1 day

Xerxes8933A
08-10-2011, 12:58 PM
60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 hour
24 hours = 1 day

"Soon" is a Valve codeword. It's exact meaning is still unknown to the world at large.

ZealTheSavior
08-10-2011, 02:12 PM
60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 hour
24 hours = 1 day

If you are unfamiliar with Valve time then this link should enlighten you.
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

dutch81
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Now you have really scared me!

Say it ain't so!

billt721
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
This is really ridiculous. I like Steam well enough as a service, but I'll never buy another paradox game from them.

Saranis
08-11-2011, 11:43 PM

That is AWESOME!

w00ties
08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
The delay just seems so strange considering Steamworks advertised feature:

It’s freeing: With Steamworks you avoid the overhead and delay of certification requirements—there are none. Distribute your game on your terms, updating it when and as often as you want.
Source (http://steampowered.com/steamworks/)

Something's afoot.

dutch81
08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Did this update not remove the need for DRM ... might this cause an issue with Steam?

w00ties
08-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Did this update not remove the need for DRM ... might this cause an issue with Steam?

Yes, apparently manually installed updates remove Steams DRM, although I'm pretty sure doing so requires you to make a new EU folder outside of Steam which means your Steam version shouldn't be negatively impacted.

Xerxes8933A
08-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes, apparently manually installed updates remove Steams DRM, although I'm pretty sure doing so requires you to make a new EU folder outside of Steam which means your Steam version shouldn't be negatively impacted.

Release and Beta Patches for all Clausewitz engine games have overwritten the core executable. Steam adds DRM to it's executable, so yes. Updating the game using the publishers patch removes Steams custom executable.
But you don't have to move the game folder outside Steam, it works just fine as it is.

And as to your first post, I'm pretty sure this isn't a Steamworks game, so that doesn't apply.

Camoron
08-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Almost been a month now, any bets on how much longer it will be?

dutch81
08-22-2011, 09:55 AM
8-22-2011

WOW ... ONE MONTH and still NO patch that has been released to Steam for weeks now!

42 = the answer
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I suppose you guys have tried manually updating yet? It worked for me and other people in this thread. Otherwise, I'd advise spamming Steam Support with complaints!

dutch81
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I did try but it didn't work ... I don't want to spam or complain to much I wish Steam would offer some kind of explanation of why they have not released the patch yet.

Kalitz
08-25-2011, 06:15 AM
It seems Steam forgot about the patch. I won't buy another Paradox game off Steam ever again.

DDRJake
08-25-2011, 06:29 AM
It takes all of a few minutes to grab the patch off of Paradox's website and overwrite the files in .../common/Europa Universalis 3 with the patch files.

Steam is dragging its heels here (Paradox sent the patch to steam ages ago) and while it is a pain that it's not updated for steam, simply nabbing the files and sticking them in yourself works fine.

Kalitz
08-25-2011, 10:45 AM
It takes all of a few minutes to grab the patch off of Paradox's website and overwrite the files in .../common/Europa Universalis 3 with the patch files.

Steam is dragging its heels here (Paradox sent the patch to steam ages ago) and while it is a pain that it's not updated for steam, simply nabbing the files and sticking them in yourself works fine.

I could play pirated version If I wanted to do so.

42 = the answer
08-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I could play pirated version If I wanted to do so.

What do you mean? installing the patch yourself is perfectly legal (and easy) and has nothing to do with piracy. :confused:

Camoron
08-28-2011, 12:57 PM
What do you mean? installing the patch yourself is perfectly legal (and easy) and has nothing to do with piracy. :confused:

The problem is, for anyone who enjoys MULTIPLAYER this means reinstalling the entire thing to fix the checksum when Steam finally updates it.

louchy
08-29-2011, 06:03 AM
This is an absolute joke

bcurson
09-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I have decided to start buying my games from Impulse. This has been an absolute failure in customer service. I just cannot believe this!

dutch81
09-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Finally!!!

Baleur
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I was going to buy this game from Steam right now, read the forums first to see the 5.1 patch situation, and even if its already out i still cant accept several MONTHS delay. What if it is the same with 5.2?

Grats Steam, you just made me buy it from Gamersgate.com instead.

lynk
09-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I was going to buy this game from Steam right now, read the forums first to see the 5.1 patch situation, and even if its already out i still cant accept several MONTHS delay. What if it is the same with 5.2?

Grats Steam, you just made me buy it from Gamersgate.com instead.

The wonders of manual patch installing.:rolleyes: