PDA

View Full Version : who still on xp and why?

syobon999
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
thinking about going back to xp as BOP running smoother there... what is the average gain/lose with the xp 32 bit vs 7 x64 in other games, share your experiences, thx.

Tthorlord
07-26-2011, 08:04 PM
thinking about going back to xp as BOP running smoother there... what is the average gain/lose with the xp 32 bit vs 7 x64 in other games, share your experiences, thx.

Whats BOP?

also: XP is virus prone and complete crap.
Win7x64 is significantly more secure and stable.

thotaz
07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Whats BOP?

I think he is talking about black ops, @OP don't do it just to play one game not worth it imo.

Teufel9000
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
yeah ive used to get viruses like crazy from normal websites when i was useing XP. Windows 7 i have encountered only 1 virus to slip past. which was some AD popup one lol. W7 is alot better than XP overall. XP was good in its hay day.

dosbox
07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Anyone voluntarily going back to XP should be disconnected from the internet.

Mr. Magnum
07-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Advantages of running Win XP:

-Older (pre-Vista era) games run MUCH smoother, less bugs, and more stable

-Games are easier to find (Win 7 automatically puts game shortcuts in the "Games" folder instead of the start menu. Makes games MUCH more frustrating to find and start.)

Advantages of running Win 7:

-Newer games REQUIRE IT (like Battlefield 3)

-DX11 is pretty sweet

-You can still run older games in compatibility mode to smooth out some kinks. Still, it's not as good as actually running it on the older OS though.

imeem
07-26-2011, 08:11 PM
my old computer is still on xp. But i only use it for printing and sumtimes Microsoft Office.

JudgementBullet
07-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Win XP runs faster than Vista or 7

Snausages
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
In the long run, you're better off with sticking with Win7. I mean, going back to XP just for one game is ridiculous...and games are sooner or later going to drop DirectX 9 completely

skippy72294
07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
XP here on my desktop...
Reason - Athlon 1600+, Radeon 9000 pro, and 1Gb DDR RAM... don't have the hardware to run windows 7 unfortunately...

ikar
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
it makes no sense to buy a new OS on old hardware

there are no more or less reliable systems - everything depends on the user: one on XP with no antivirus running 10+ years without infection, and other on Linux to contrive to infect

~~ArdEnuff~~
07-27-2011, 01:51 AM
XP is great for older hardware. My main PC is Windows 7 but the trusty old hardware I lobbed into my media centre is much happier with XP.

ez2pz
07-27-2011, 02:03 AM
yeah ive used to get viruses like crazy from normal websites when i was useing XP. Windows 7 i have encountered only 1 virus to slip past. which was some AD popup one lol. W7 is alot better than XP overall. XP was good in its hay day.

I haven't got a virus in like over 5 years. lol

Bad_Motha
07-27-2011, 02:55 AM

The DMV still uses XP :eek:

If you NEED XP, then you just need a better system. Even a POS old Dual-Core w/ 2GB RAM setup can run Win7 X64 just fine. If you still have Athlon XP, Athlon 64, or Pentium 4; please step into this century people.

Those people still using 2000/XP are the ones helping to populate the net with all the junk and make spreading viruses easier due to lack of security. This is why MS should put a better expiration date on their OS'. I still see XP getting Windows Updates, really!? They should make it so after the expiration date of the OS, you can no longer connect to the internet on that OS.

borg_7_of_9
07-27-2011, 03:03 AM

If you NEED XP, then you just need a better system. Even a POS old Dual-Core w/ 2GB RAM setup can run Win7 X64 just fine. If you still have Athlon XP, Athlon 64, or Pentium 4; please step into this century people.

Those people still using 2000/XP are the ones helping to populate the net with all the junk and make spreading viruses easier due to lack of security. This is why MS should put a better expiration date on their OS'. I still see XP getting Windows Updates, really!? They should make it so after the expiration date of the OS, you can no longer connect to the internet on that OS.

Iirc 2013 is d day no more updates..

Bad_Motha
07-27-2011, 03:12 AM
In the long run, you're better off with sticking with Win7. I mean, going back to XP just for one game is ridiculous...and games are sooner or later going to drop DirectX 9 completely

A few already have, but again that's a very small few. But seeing as XP is supported through to 2013. I guess some games will still offer DX9 for those users, but I would think by 2013, we should see DX9 dropped from pretty much any new game that comes at by that time.

By then, hopefully Win8 + DX12 will be here.
Course way it's looking, Win8 is gonna just be a POS smart phone OS on our PCs. I got to try some of it out already and I'm usually excited about a new OS, but not this one. And if MS makes it the way they are heading towards right now, I highly doubt any game maker will want to make PC games any longer.

mеz
07-27-2011, 06:18 AM

XP's security model is fine. It's not Windows 98. The NT kernel has always supported ACLs, and you can attach a security descriptor to pretty much any kernel object.

Granted it's not as easy to set up or as secure out of the box as later versions (default admin privileges and so on), and lots of users behave irresponsibly and carelessly when it comes to security, but that's a social rather than a technical issue. Keep it patched, don't run untrusted executables, don't use Internet Explorer. You'll be fine.

And as for the "please step into this century people" bit: not everyone plays games, or edits HD video, or manipulates 20 megapixel photos. I would say the majority just want to read their mail and get on Facebook and have somewhere to store their music. If that's the case, any of the CPUs you mention are fine. I hate seeing people waste money on new computers when they don't need them at all and don't know any better, but they go ahead because some salesman has presuaded them that they need a Core i7 to buy stuff from Amazon. Computers have been 'good enough' for the average user for about 10 years. The rest is just marketing.

I still use XP because it's fast and stable and it does everything I need an operating system to do, that is, run my applications and not crash. I installed Windows 7 during the public beta and I liked it well enough, but I don't think it has any 'must have' features. If it was really cheap I probably would, but as it is I'd be spending 109/$179 (for Pro because I want group policy and XP Mode) to get me... into exactly the same position I'm in right now. Pointless. Obviously I'll have a rethink when support stops, but that's not until 2014. I can't see myself paying for a retail copy of Windows 7 any time soon.

And - no joke - I haven't had any virus problems since the early nineties.

jsmucha
07-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Whats BOP?

-What? Do you guys know how to use the internet?

-All I use on my laptop is Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.. and never got a virus before, Vista.

-Back when I had XP I STILL never got virus.

-And now I am using Windows 7 and STILL haven't gotten any.

P.M.
07-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Maximum irony considering your username.

I'm on XP still. Why? Didn't need to change it yet.

Those people still using 2000/XP are the ones helping to populate the net with all the junk and make spreading viruses easier due to lack of security.

Now that's some hilarious bull♥♥♥♥.

lazy6pyro
07-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Business with legacy applications that are too turn key to work on non XP machines. Most things you can virtualize these days but some with physical interfacing (like serial or COM ports) and POS machines still need legacy OSes.

By then, hopefully Win8 + DX12 will be here.
Course way it's looking, Win8 is gonna just be a POS smart phone OS on our PCs. I got to try some of it out already and I'm usually excited about a new OS, but not this one. And if MS makes it the way they are heading towards right now, I highly doubt any game maker will want to make PC games any longer.

Actually, Win 8 is looking quite nice based on reports from the early reports from the leaked alphas. Where did you try it out, as no demo or leaked alpha has the Metro UI displayed. I'm calling BS on you.

TacoTime
07-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Win XP runs faster than Vista or 7Vista yes, 7 no.

Xebec
07-27-2011, 08:02 AM
XP here on my desktop...
Reason - Athlon 1600+, Radeon 9000 pro, and 1Gb DDR RAM... don't have the hardware to run windows 7 unfortunately...

I got an old desktop running XP myself for the same reason, Athlon XP 2000+, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, and a whopping 512 KB of DDR RAM all running on a gigabyte K7 Triton motherboard.

zezzex
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM
-What? Do you guys know how to use the internet?

-All I use on my laptop is Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.. and never got a virus before, Vista.

-Back when I had XP I STILL never got virus.

-And now I am using Windows 7 and STILL haven't gotten any.

Yes, some people don't know how to use the internet.

If you are smart and careful, you will be able to keep youself virus free.

That being said, xp is still less secure then windows 7 is.

skippy72294
07-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I got an old desktop running XP myself for the same reason, Athlon XP 2000+, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, and a whopping 512 KB of DDR RAM all running on a gigabyte K7 Triton motherboard.

But hey, Need for Speed Underground 2 will run on almost EVERYTHING maxed out at 1024x768 :D

Ninja edit - 512 kilobytes?!?!?!?!?!

rotNdude
07-27-2011, 11:02 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

XP has been around for 10 years. If you want to run it, it generally boils down to hardware and not wanting to purchase an upgrade. I still run XP on an older computer.

Lister of Smeg
07-27-2011, 11:31 AM

BO is gash mate. It's a ♥♥♥♥ PC port. PS depending on your hardware, your pc may run slower on XP but your fall!

-Games are easier to find (Win 7 automatically puts game shortcuts in the "Games" folder instead of the start menu. Makes games MUCH more frustrating to find and start.)

Win 7 doesn't always put your games in the 'games folder' however it's not a MASSIVE problem as you make out to copy & paste into your start menu!

Win XP runs faster than Vista or 7

Troll, no it doesn't

Verwandlung
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I still run XP on my old laptop. Installing a new OS would only slow the old girl down even more.

lone0001
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
If you really need to run XP there's always Virtual Machines using Free Open Source software such as VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/).
If you need XP to play a specific game, VMware Player (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/overview.html) supports Direct-X 9 and up to Shader Model 2.
Need to run a more higher spec game, you could always simply dual boot XP.

XP DOES run better than Vista though. Windows 7 runs better than both of them combined. :p

Kibblesman
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
My XP to Windows 7 transition was very smooth. Kind of glad that I finally made the jump after 10 years of using XP.

I still run XP on my Thinkpad T43, but that's because I don't have any extra Windows 7 keys, and my T43 wouldn't run Windows 7 that well.

dosbox
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Maximum irony considering your username.

Heh - fair point, but you should re-read the post. I said anyone voluntarily going back to XP.

I find the usability improvements worth switching to Windows 7 - e.g. jump lists, program specific MRUD, universal search. Native support for TRIM also makes life easier for SSD owners.

For those claiming XP is still supported, that's not quite accurate. XP is in "Extended support" which means you have to pay for non-security patches, either on a per-incident basis or with a support contract. If there's a non-security related bug, then you're out of luck.

Hatake Kakashi
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I find the usability improvements worth it - e.g. jump lists, program specific MRUD, universal search. Native support for TRIM also makes life easier for SSD owners.

XP does that?

dosbox
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
XP does that?

No, that was poor wording on my part. Those features are in Windows 7.

TheMG
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I use XP at work, as well as on my electronics development PC at home and my older gaming computer that I use from time to time to play older games.

Some older software just doesn't work at all or is very buggy under Vista/7.

Also XP is faster on older machines, particularly ones with slower hard drives, as Vista/7 thrashes the hard drive a lot no matter how much I try to tweak it.

Hatake Kakashi
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM
No, that was poor wording on my part. Those features are in Windows 7.

People used SSD's during XP's heyday?

Kezo2K11
07-27-2011, 04:54 PM

I just found my new sig! LOL!

dosbox
07-27-2011, 04:58 PM
People used SSD's during XP's heyday?

You're missing the point. It's 2011 when SSD's are widely available.

James Deuce
07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
And as for the "please step into this century people" bit: not everyone plays games, or edits HD video, or manipulates 20 megapixel photos. I would say the majority just want to read their mail and get on Facebook and have somewhere to store their music. If that's the case, any of the CPUs you mention are fine. I hate seeing people waste money on new computers when they don't need them at all and don't know any better, but they go ahead because some salesman has presuaded them that they need a Core i7 to buy stuff from Amazon. Computers have been 'good enough' for the average user for about 10 years. The rest is just marketing

He's right. The general computer community have computers to check up on Email and surf the web--perhaps play a few flash games while they're at it. I don't have any statistical data or anything, but I'd go as far to guess that 95% of people that use computers don't do anything more than surf the internet and download light files.

I have XP on my older desktop computer. It works swimmingly for typing papers and general internet use (IE: Youtube, Facebook, ESPN). Obviously if you're trying to play Skyrim on XP it wouldn't work out too well...but to say that you MUST update to Windows 7 or else you'll get a virus is irrational.

Side note (kind of)- My mom has a computer that implements XP, she's one of the most computer illiterate people I know--she's never had a virus in the 6 years she's used it.

Phosphor94
07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm actually thinking about installing a dumbed down XP Pro on an old old old Dell Inspiron to use as a VPN server for my home network when I finally get around to setting it up, I have 4 spare computers and 3 of which are waaaay to old to do day to day work on.

Vonje
07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Windows 7 is good, but there are times where I wish I had XP. Here are some reasons:

- Takes less resources
- More guaranteed to be compatible with anything released before 2007.
- DirectSound3D, and a more believable audio control panel (you can choose MIDI device!).
- Nostalgia

Xebec
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
But hey, Need for Speed Underground 2 will run on almost EVERYTHING maxed out at 1024x768 :D

Ninja edit - 512 kilobytes?!?!?!?!?!

Oh wow whoops, I meant 512 MB.

bes
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I think XP is fine for anyone that doesn't use their computer for gaming ...

All the gamers should be running Windows 7 64bit...even if you don't have DX10/11 hardware... even though everyone in 2011 should at LEAST have a DX10 graphics card..since those cards have been out for ages now...

Windows 7 supports DX9,10, AND 11...and probably a future DX version ...so you can still run DX9 games..

In my opinion the people that wont stay up to date with Hardware or their operating system ...is whats holding PC gaming back...along with outdated consoles... possibly lazy devs too..

PC games should be much more than they are now...all of them should be DX10/11 and 64bit ...or at least capable of it with much more options..more in-depth...and use more drive space..

P.M.
07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Heh - fair point, but you should re-read the post. I said anyone voluntarily going back to XP.

Fair enough then. If I were going back, I'd go all the way to DOS with Norton Commander :p

ZoSo15
07-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Haven't built a new system in a while. No reason to spend $100+ on an OS if it's not part of a new build. And I haven't really had a reason to upgrade until lately.

Don't really know why some people are being snotty. Most of the workplace still uses XP. I build machines all day long and every single desktop gets an XP image, no matter if it has an i7 or a p4 (yes, we still build machines with IDE cables. lol).