PDA

View Full Version : From Dust most likely using Ubi's restrictive DRM

Erixxxx
07-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Taken from the store page:

"3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft Online Service"

If this holds true, then Ubisoft just turned a must-buy into a no-buy for me.

ogara0c9
07-30-2011, 08:19 AM
If this holds true, then Ubisoft just turned a must-buy into a no-buy for me.

Agree. Yet another Ubisoft published game slips through my fingers.

{Yotsuba}
07-30-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/28/from-dust-doesnt-have-always-online-drm/

_jema987
07-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Ubi DRM and more expensive than on live, I'll give it miss then.

MaxMcG
07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Was going to pre-purchase this 'til I saw the DRM. Don't trust Ubisoft not to put that spiteful DRM system in and I definitely won't buy if they do. It really makes me angry.

MithranArkanere
07-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh... and I was looking forward to try this one out...

A shame.

chiefmigizi
07-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah this turned into a no buy for me. I was excited to try this game until I saw that.
I wonder how many people are going to be upset they pre-purchased it before seeing the DRM. I also wonder if some of them are going to ask for a refund.

Erixxxx
07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/28/from-dust-doesnt-have-always-online-drm/

I've been burned by Ubisoft before, I won't believe it until they come out with an official announcement. I can live with a one-time key-check, but I like to play games on the move so a launch-check is just as bad for me as the always-online check.

bad09
07-31-2011, 07:07 AM
It definately does not have the online DRM only an online activation on install.

Saying that I would say to anyone thinking of buying From Dust Ubi really are not deserving of your cash right now. It's your call but I would spend with better companies until they stop completely with their DRM shackles and last minute delays.

TrojanMonkey
08-01-2011, 04:48 AM
I also retreat my purchase of the game until further news regarding the DRM.

NegativeOne
08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Considering how short the game is mixed with no real replay value, this game isnt really worth it, or at least worth the inflated price.

Also, Ubisoft always on DRM on top of what steam does is pointless and a good way to ensure I will never purchase.

Punish a customer for purchasing your game, lose a customer.

sinisterene
08-01-2011, 12:32 PM
It definately does not have the online DRM only an online activation on install.

Saying that I would say to anyone thinking of buying From Dust Ubi really are not deserving of your cash right now. It's your call but I would spend with better companies until they stop completely with their DRM shackles and last minute delays.

I've been burned by Ubisoft before, I won't believe it until they come out with an official announcement. I can live with a one-time key-check, but I like to play games on the move so a launch-check is just as bad for me as the always-online check.

Was going to pre-purchase this 'til I saw the DRM. Don't trust Ubisoft not to put that spiteful DRM system in and I definitely won't buy if they do. It really makes me angry.

Considering I can't trust Ubisoft, I'm not giving them any money until they remove their terrible DRM from ALL their games.

Until then, no.

Blayze
08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Damn. Wish I hadn't bought it now.

turbosnigeln
08-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Bought it anyway. I can handle it but I agree it's jaratey.
I'm honestly more afraid my PC won't run the game :D

Somnlaut
08-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Congratulations, you've lost another sale.

TrojanMonkey
08-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Damn. Wish I hadn't bought it now.

You can always cancel your pre-purchase, it's completly legit.

Jherad
08-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Still waiting on official word of the DRM. This would be a no-brainer pre-release purchase for me if I could be sure it wasn't tainted with online-only-derpDRM or limited activations.

Prismaa
08-07-2011, 05:45 AM
"From Dust PC will release with DRM requiring a one-time only online activation. After which you will be able to play the game offline."

MIK3K
08-08-2011, 01:32 AM
I couldn't wait and got it for the 360. It was kinda cool for the first hour but then got bored. I admit, could just be me. Maybe I'll try again later.

I think it is money better spent towards a game that will give hours and hours of fun - Red Orchestra 2, Deus Ex, E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, heck even Terraria and you still have $5 change. Put it towards one of the Assassin Creed games when there is a sale.

I was really looking forward to this and it is pretty neat technology. Only $15, but again maybe better spent elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

Edit - I guess I should say I played the Populous games back in the day. I think there is too much of a disconnect between your character and interacting with the tribe. The tribe is kinda just there on the map with you protecting them and occasionally telling them where to move, but most of the time is spent altering the land to create paths for them to move from one point to another or blocking a natural disaster. Again, I didn't get real far, but I really didn't feel like going farther with so many other great games out right now. I would love to have more control over the tribe to build villages, grow the population, create different warriors and attack neighboring tribes who are led by their own 'god' and take over the map. Maybe the next installment will do this.

Jherad
08-11-2011, 07:45 AM
The tribe is kinda just there on the map with you protecting them and occasionally telling them where to move, but most of the time is spent altering the land to create paths for them to move from one point to another or blocking a natural disaster.

Kinda like Lemmings in 3D then?

The trailers reminded me a lot of Black and White. I was hoping for an updated sandboxy version of that or as you say, Populous.

mks2004
08-18-2011, 01:14 AM
i got no issues at all with DRM they use..

Anyway yeah game is kinda like lemmings, but more fun playing with the enviroment :)

Replay is probally not gonna be all that but the game only cost 12 LOL so woh cares..

smellylettuce
08-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/from-dust-does-need-online-badly-ported
I know it to be true as the game got hung up after I exited and the uplay app tried to "sync" my save game on their server unsuccessfully. This is a very poor and incompetent release. I am NEVER preordering a ubisoft product ever again regardless of who developed it. So unprofessional it's mind boggling.

JacksRache
08-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Wow, I feel really tricked. Now what is this ♥♥♥♥? I pre-purchased this game because they said it doesn't use their DRM. Now I have it AND their ♥♥♥♥ty DRM? Really. Screw you Ubisoft. I really gave them a chance. The only games I bought from them after they released this turd of a DRM were Splinter Cell: Conviction (WHICH IS PROGRAMMED SO BADLY I HAD TO DEINSTALL IT) and now From Dust (WHICH ALL OF A SUDDEN USES THEIR DRM). WTF is wrong with this company??? Ok, they had their chance (TWICE) and tricked me (TWICE). Game over for you, Ubisoft.

Btw. I asked Steam for a refund. With over 200 bought Steam games, this is my first request of this kind.